PDA

View Full Version : elegance split

Denbf58
01/18/2009, 10:36 AM
has any one seen a elegance split ? or is mine dieing ? in the center of my elegance it receded down to skeliton and looks like it from two seperate heads is this possible or am i in trouble help please:(

dragonette
01/18/2009, 08:56 PM
more than likely it is sick. I dont think the splitting process includes tissue recession.

Can you post a pic?

Rhizo
01/19/2009, 05:07 AM
Picture please it could be dying? These corals are hard to keep in captivity. I think they are more challenging that SPS.

jkeel16
01/19/2009, 04:38 PM
once the tissue start to receed is there anything you can do? I bought mine from petco for $25 in an attempt to save it. Tissue was slightly receding, but it was still blown up on one side with bright neon green and purple tips... has eaten and one side looks ok with a mouth but the other 3 mouths dont look so good. I feed it mysis and want to heal it... med flow on sandy bed

stunreefer
01/19/2009, 07:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14192765#post14192765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jkeel16
once the tissue start to receed is there anything you can do?
Unfortunately, not really. Don't bother him, if its taking food keep feeding, and pray. Once they start to go though, they're really hard to bring back.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14192765#post14192765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jkeel16
I bought mine from petco for $25 in an attempt to save it.
Unfortunately with this hobby, "saving" an animal is one of the worst things we can do, for the animals and our pockets. Don't get me wrong, I've been guilty of it before as have most...

If WE can see something "wrong" with the animal based on a glance at them in a LFS, 99% of the time they're waaay worse off than we think.

If we purchase the sickly animal and lose it its a waste of money... but moreso IMO is that If we purchase the sickly animal, another one WILL BE brought in right behind, from the same supplier, probably in the same condition... and over and over we go.

Again, I'm guilty too... and best of luck with the elegance, they're my favorite coral!

tony13
01/20/2009, 08:15 AM
As far a I know elegance don't split, they drop of "small babies" to reproduce. I picked a heathly elegance recently hoping that the collection practices have change from 10 years ago. It's only been 2 months so my fingers are crossed, but am expecting the worst.

jkeel16
01/20/2009, 09:17 AM
thats true austin.... those people at petco in houston dont even know what they order or put out in the displays... makes me mad. You can find a good deal here and there because they dont know what they are doing... but they do kill alot of fish and coral... i think ill stop shopping there

xXReefXx
01/20/2009, 11:47 PM
its dying, isolate that thing from any flow b4 it gets any worse..