PDA

View Full Version : skimmer?

baldomero
01/18/2009, 02:16 PM
hey guys i read a post about somebody saying they r gonna let their skimmer run a little wet if u dont mind me asking what other way is there to run a skimmer

reefworm
01/18/2009, 02:25 PM
dry:D that is, set the water level in the skimmer neck so that only the top of the bubble column reaches the top of the tube and into the collection cup. its a matter of degree, obviously, but skimming dry means you're not removing as much water, but getting the worst of the suspended matter.

baldomero
01/18/2009, 03:27 PM
hey thanks alot for the reply reefworm

reefworm
01/18/2009, 06:31 PM
;)

CStoner
01/18/2009, 10:22 PM
Can anyone add more about the pros and how to adjust skimmers? I have ordered an Octopus 100 HOB and will take any and all tips to help me set it up and fine tune it. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Everyones Hero
01/18/2009, 11:11 PM
I've got a high quality skimmer I've been running for months on my 55 gallon & still can't get it dialed in. It produces skimmate but not a lot. I can probably let it run for about a month & not even fill up a 1L bottom I have collecting the waste.

I haven't even tried playing with the air intake of the skimmer.

Hopefully this thread gets some good input so I'll know where to start with mine. :P

noboddi
01/19/2009, 12:26 AM
what kind of skimmer? some skimmers are easier to dial in than others. Do you have a sump? How deep is the water in the skimmer compartment? Is the water level stable in the skimmer compartment?