PDA

View Full Version : Gluing acrylic to glass (for an overflow), what glue to use?

RoseFishWatcher
01/18/2009, 06:54 PM
Is silicon ok to use? I've looked, because I recall reading (once upon a time) that it didn't bond to acrylic well, but I can't find anything one way or the other.

I'm replacing a broken overflow in a used tank. The overflow is black acrylic, the tank is glass. It's really really important that:

1) it is aquarium safe
2) it will hold strong and watertight.

I'm mostly worried about #2, since a failure would mean a 75 gallon spillage, but even minor leaking may become unacceptable.

Thanks in advance,

Rose

DaFishHead
01/18/2009, 08:32 PM
Here you go....

I hope this link helps

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=132&

Posidion
01/18/2009, 08:41 PM
All of the overflow boxes I've ever put in I just used 100% pure silicone. Bought it at home depot for a couple bucks a tube. Just be sure to read the label and make sure it has no toxics (like mold inhibitors) Comes in clear and black I prefer black.

noahm
01/18/2009, 08:54 PM
Silicone does not tend to bond well to acrylic, but many have used it in your circumstance w/ fairly decent results as there is no real stress on the joints in that application. There has been documented success w/ weld-on 40 acrylic to glass.

TellyFish
01/18/2009, 09:16 PM
Just use silicone.

Thats what I used on my 90 which is at 26inches tall and it has been running with no problems for since 2006.