PDA

View Full Version : 75 Saltwater Tank

Trigger31
01/18/2009, 09:24 PM
I recently had an ich outbreak last month and treated the surviving fish in my 30 gallon tank. I was advised not to drain all the water out of the 75 tanks but I did so or at least until the sand was exposed. My rocks have been out of the tank for over one month and I recently filled the tank back up with RO/DI water and left it that way for one week. I then add the salt to got the water to the correct salinity. The tank is ready to go but I wanted to know how long do I have to wait before putting the fish back into the DT?

Aaron:fish1:

divewsharks
01/19/2009, 03:19 AM
you are going to have to re-build you nitrifying bacteria colony on the rock again, the sand should have the base but depending on how many fish you have (and their size) the bio-load maybe too much in the short-term.

JohnnyBassMan
01/19/2009, 04:27 AM
I would start a QT tank and place each fish one at a time in the QT for about 4 weeks before I placed them in the main tank.

Michael
01/19/2009, 05:05 AM
its going to cycle all over again now, you need to get back to basics, start testing daily for ammonia and nitrite plus nitrate, when the ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for several days do a water change to dilute the nitrate formed, this could take days or even up to 6 weeks, who knows, but testing is the only way to be sure:) good luck

Trigger31
01/19/2009, 08:50 AM
The fish are currently in a 30 gallon QT. The four fish remaining are: Tomato Clownfish, Firefish, Dottyback, and Yellow Wrasse. I will be doing my first water test on the 75 tank today.

JohnnyBassMan
01/19/2009, 09:20 PM
Trigger31: let us know how things go. Like Michael said: it may take time, but the time is worth the wait.