PDA

View Full Version : quick ? about Coraline algae

hotrodolds
01/19/2009, 01:06 PM
does it require strong lighting to survive. Im just wondering because im doing a fowlr and the live rock i got has some nice color to it, and am just wondering if ill eventaully have some nice purple rocks or if im doomed to bland green and brown rocks in a few months.

conorwynne
01/19/2009, 01:11 PM
IME, it likes darker areas of the tank.
Example, the underside of my LR gets the deepest colours.

Then again, it depends on what type of coraline you have. Some of mine thrives in the higher lit areas, others fade away.

Give it a go, sure it's no harm. I'm sitting here looking at my LR which I cooked in darkness for 1.5 years, and it's got some fab purples. So it obviously doesn't die in darkness.

cloak
01/19/2009, 03:08 PM
I had great coralline growth in the first six months or so on my 60 breeder with a 40 watt NO "powerglow" bulb. Alot of purple.

Aurora D.
01/19/2009, 03:27 PM
Usually the flatter kinds, that grow on live rock and don't stick out, don't like light. However, there are a few varities that grow like little miniature montipora corals. They like light.

SFeST
01/19/2009, 03:33 PM
I'm getting some purple coraline in my sump/fuge that's just lit by a 14 watt compact fluorescent. It's not nearly as much as in my tank but its still growing under that little of light.

Merfin70
01/19/2009, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14192293#post14192293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SFeST
I'm getting some purple coraline in my sump/fuge that's just lit by a 14 watt compact fluorescent. It's not nearly as much as in my tank but its still growing under that little of light.

Same here. I actually have more growing in/on everything in my sump under a small CF than I do in the tank.