PDA

View Full Version : Beginning coral care

liveoutloud
01/19/2009, 04:57 PM
I'm going to be getting some corals this weekend my tank is 55 gallon. My lighting is 2 175 watt 14k mh. I have to koralia 4s. The tanks been set up for a year. I want to get started withthe starburst corals, some mushrooms and a hawaiin feather duster for now. So I've heard about acclimating them to light? and as far as placement goes? Also do any of these need fed and if so what?

iamwrasseman
01/19/2009, 05:18 PM
with any coral ,so you don't shock them i would suggest that you start off down low and move as they are happy . mostly they can be bottom dwellers to mid heighth . what is the starburst coral that you are speaking of ? the two latter ones are will eat the leftovers in the tank IMO .

liveoutloud
01/19/2009, 05:24 PM
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+599+738&pcatid=738

liveoutloud
01/19/2009, 05:37 PM
I was also wondering how do you attach them to the rocks? and how do you handle them????

BuddhaKiss
01/19/2009, 06:11 PM
If you're talking about just the mat, you can use superglue gel and glue them to the rock. They can spread like crazy, so as you light acclimate them, I would consider placing them higher up on the rockwork. Mushrooms in my experience don't like too much flow. If you have them in too much flow, they will detach from whatever rock they're on and float away. 2 Koralia 4s might be too much for them, unless you can find them a spot closer to the bottom with medium to low flow. And feather dusters don't need to be light acclimated since they don't have any symbiotic algae. But they too don't like too much flow...so find them a spot of medium to low flow.

iamwrasseman
01/19/2009, 06:12 PM
you can glue them to rocks or let them set on anything that you want them to attach to and in a few days they will attach . if need be you can put a tupperware contained in the tank with crushed coral or small stone frags and put them on top and they will attach. what you have are star polyps which are a type of zooanthodes.if they have attached to gravel you can use supergue GEL to glue them . it may be in your best interest to look under "coral propagation "forum and they will have pictures etc on what you are trying to do . good luck

liveoutloud
01/19/2009, 06:20 PM
If you're talking about just the mat ??????
and thanks ill check that forum out