PDA

View Full Version : LR questions: adding to display and creating a fuge.

LulusMoogle
01/20/2009, 01:28 AM
I currently have a BioCube 29. I made the sore mistake of leaving the bioballs in when I first set it up and now the nitrates are coming back to haunt me in an unshakeable 30ppm count. (Yes, I am positive that nothing else is to blame for the count.)

I've been meaning to add more live rock to my display for a few weeks now and convert the 2nd chamber in the back into a refugium. When I first set up my tank, I had a mini cycle that lasted only a week. Nitrites never reaching a truly significant amount (less than .5 ppm). I'm not sure about ammonia. I never tested for that.

Now, my question is, can I just slowly add new rock to the back and display over time? Say a month or so? The rock is precured and will be purchased from the same LFS where I got the original rock.

LulusMoogle
01/20/2009, 11:29 AM
Anybody...? I know it seems like a stupid question, but I am curious.

noahm
01/20/2009, 11:35 AM
If it is already cured and cycled at the LFS, should not be any prob at all.

ilv4xn
01/20/2009, 11:37 AM
I only put about 18lbs of LR in my 46G it was from another system so I never had much of a cycle I also was planning on adding as I go just due to cost.

phish guy
01/20/2009, 11:38 AM
i see no problem. i added some precured rock when i re-aquascaped, no problems. they actually colored up very fast too.

LulusMoogle
01/20/2009, 11:52 AM
Alrighty. Sweet. I think I'll do that, then. Just add slowly...

Thanks, guys! :)

ilv4xn
01/20/2009, 12:03 PM
it's probably just like every thing else in this hobby for every 20 people that say you can't there are 20 people that have done it with no problems