PDA

View Full Version : dalmation dogface puffer - a nasty surprise

LisaD
01/20/2009, 05:39 AM
The puffer is fine, or at least okay, and that's a relief.

Last night I saw my Brazilian dragon moray dart out, grab him and try to drag him in the rocks! that explains the puffer's somewhat stressed demeanor and not eating. This is the second time I saw the eel lunge at the puffer, and it won't happen again. :mad2:

I immediately removed the puffer, and put him iin my 55 gallon tank. I don't care if he eats the corals. The boxfish, marine betta and green wolf eel, remain, but the seahorses are in another tank.

The %&*#$ dragon moray is out, asap. If I can find someone to take hiim (LFS or individual) it will be as early as this weekend. If not, I'll put him in an unoccupied tank until I can find a place for him. While he IS a piscivorous eel, I never imagined a puffer would not be safe. I was most worried about my two smaller angels, which have never been touched. Go figure.

I think this also explains the death of my other dogface puffer, earlier. I blamed the porcupine puffer, which was definitely harassing it on the day it died. I'll bet the eel saw the fish being chased around, got excited, and bit it, maybe came back for more. Now it has a taste for puffer flesh. It never bothered the porc or my other fish, but it definitely was serious about wanting to eat the puffer.

Anyone within driving distance of central North Carolina want a Brazilian dragon moray, cheap?

tanger75
01/20/2009, 06:20 AM
How about you move closer to me and I will come a pick it up! LOL! Sorry to hear what happened, good luck! The deals are never close to me!

LisaD
01/20/2009, 07:46 AM
I wish I felt comfortable shipping it. I have a lot of experience shipping fish, but this one is just too big to risk.

I'm most interested in seeing him go to a good home. It's a really nice eel, one I wanted for a long time before I found it. Wish I had a big tank laying around...

rssjsb
01/20/2009, 10:00 AM
Wow - I'm sorry to hear that Lisa. So lucky that you were there to intervene!

Hope the puffer's ok. I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble finding a home for the eel.

barbianj
01/20/2009, 10:08 AM
I bet that made your heart skip a beat!

I'd take the dragon off your hands,too, but there's no way I'm driving to North Carolina.

You should throw him in 100 gallon Rubbermaid until you can get a bigger tank for him, or leave him in there as your sump monster!

danorth
01/20/2009, 10:15 AM
Sump monster! Love that one, I've got one too for another day or so.

Lisa, that sucks! Again, it is ALWAYS something with this hobby. Never a set it and forget it situation!

Good luck getting that eel out too btw.......sounds vicious.

Juice It
01/20/2009, 10:32 AM
Wow, and the Porc takes the fall! I always thought it was strange that a Porc would kill a dogface. Did the new dogface blow up to escape? I hate being in the situation where you need to remove a loved fish. I have a buddy in Raleigh that has abunch of tanks that may want the eel. Post or send me a pic and price and I will pass it on.

Jeff

Recty
01/20/2009, 10:38 AM
Wow, crazy. I'm surprised it would try to eat a puffer fish. Maybe it didnt recognize the coloration as poisonous since it's such an abnormal pattern.

So did he puff up when the eel grabbed him?

DamnPepShrimp
01/20/2009, 10:48 AM
Wow, Lisa, that is very weird! My eel is sooo gentle and never goes after anything! I can sometimes pet him. He's not aggressive at all, even when feeding! Completely two different eels here, just goes to show, every animal is different, even if its the same genus. Good luck with your puffer and finding an eel a home. I'd put him in a rubbermaid tub, you can buy a 150g one from a local tractor supply for pretty cheap. Or put him in any container just to get your puffer back to the 210g and save whats in your 55g.

anbosu
01/20/2009, 10:50 AM
At least you saw it and realized what the problem was before you lost a really cool new fish.

pimpinitup6969
01/20/2009, 10:55 AM
if you would ship i will take him and cover all costs! i have been looking for one for awhile with no luck

Snausy
01/20/2009, 11:18 AM
Wow no wonder the little guy is so stressed out. He has NO idea how much he costs and thinks he is a feeder fish for a big Moray tank.

NOT COOL! Sorry to hear about the problem but glad you saw it happening.

It's always something in this hobby isn't it. Good luck finding a good home for the moray and getting your tank back to happy.

agreeive?fish
01/20/2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry to hear that Lisa..i hope the puffer is OK..i wish i was closer than 1/2 way across the country..but then again iam not set up for an agressive eel..

DamnPepShrimp
01/20/2009, 12:57 PM
Lisa, look at it this way, when you take the eel out, your removing a big contributor to the bioload, maybe you can add another fish? :D

stump1998
01/20/2009, 01:41 PM
He would love my 600. We need to talk Lisa. I am only 4 or 5 hours away.

LisaD
01/20/2009, 05:34 PM
Wow, and the Porc takes the fall! I always thought it was strange that a Porc would kill a dogface. Did the new dogface blow up to escape? I hate being in the situation where you need to remove a loved fish. I have a buddy in Raleigh that has abunch of tanks that may want the eel. Post or send me a pic and price and I will pass it on.

I still blame the porc, at least partially. as much as I like her, I am glad she is now enjoying her new 240 gallon system in western NC. she was definitely interested in biting this puffer, and was harassing my other dogface. On a Friday, my husband saw her chasing the other dogface all over the tank. he never said anything, I wish he had... I worked late that night, and discovered the mortally wounded fish on Saturday morning. my guess is that all that tearing around the tank provoked a feeding response in the eel, and it liked what it tasted. other than this behavior, the eel has been a model citizen and never bothered any other fish. in fact, the 3.5" blue spotted angel routinely swims onto his head and slaps him with her tail, and he always backs away. the other two angels do it too, and he takes it, every time.

the new dogface did blow up, but was obviously stunned. he didn't swim fast to get away, and I was able to easily and immediately remove him from the tank. the other dogface, the one killed, had about half the flesh of its tail missing and was nearly disemboweled, so I don't think a dogface would have much of a chance against a determined eel.

I hate to let the eel go. if I could keep him I would, but my husband, who is very tolerant, won't tolerate another tank. other than this behavior, it is a great fish, and one that took a long time to find.

I'm asking $175. Here's a link to the ad, there are pictures:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1556099

if you would ship i will take him and cover all costs! i have been looking for one for awhile with no luck

If he were half the size I'd do it, but I'm afraid to risk it. He is just two feet long, but very thick and active.

He would love my 600. We need to talk Lisa. I am only 4 or 5 hours away.

a 600 gallon system would be awesome. I'd be willing to meet you part way.

I'd put him in a rubbermaid tub, you can buy a 150g one from a local tractor supply for pretty cheap. Or put him in any container just to get your puffer back to the 210g and save whats in your 55g.

DPS, I might do that if I don't find a place for him soon. my sump barely holds my equipment, so the sump monster idea is out! however, the puffer is doing very well in the 55, hasn't bothered anything. unless it acts cramped or stressed, or there is conflict with any tankmates, I may leave it in the 55 until it starts eating reliably.

Lisa, look at it this way, when you take the eel out, your removing a big contributor to the bioload, maybe you can add another fish?

I'll have to think about it. :) I was stocked pretty full as it was. but it is a tempting thought, since I have no lions, triggers, tangs, or dwarf angels.

Thanks for all your concern and good thoughts!

j4mypets
01/20/2009, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear- Hope everything works out, and the puffer will be ok.

LisaD
01/20/2009, 05:48 PM
thanks j4mp. one of the biggest challenges, IMO, with FOWLR tanks is getting them stocked right so the fish get along. it's more of a challenge than you might expect.

e55MD
01/20/2009, 05:55 PM
Lisa,

Hopefully he will be fine. It sucks to have anything bad happen to any fish, but the really special ones hurt more.
My new Conpic was doing geat in QT for 3 weeks and then he suddenly developed severe popeye in one eye, I am assuming from scatching it against something. It has got a lot worse even after treatment with tetracycline, Maracyn 2. Eventually, I took him to an aquatic vet and I am now injecting him with antiobiotics. It still looks like he will be losing an eye!

LisaD
01/20/2009, 06:22 PM
ouch! sorry to hear that E55MD. yes, it does suck. I kind of feel like a steward for this really unique fish, and don't want to do anything to make it less than completely healthy.

for me, it's really not nearly as much about the cost of the fish as it is about how special this fish is (to me, anyway):)

BTW, tetracycline is usually not a good treatment for marine tanks, it is not soluble/available in salt water.

what antibiotic are you injecting? please keep us updated on the treatment and how it's going. I know it's no fun to start a thread when things are going wrong, but those are the ones I learn the most from...

Elysia
01/20/2009, 06:22 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Lisa, but its really fortunate that you were there to help your puffer out. Good luck to both your puffer and the eel in its new home.

LisaD
01/20/2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Elysia, I'll keep everyone updated.

elecbzerk
01/21/2009, 06:11 AM
What is the latest?

LisaD
01/21/2009, 06:16 AM
swimming happily in the 55, looks very good. but still hasn't eaten anything I have offered. I'm going to write to Kevin at LA to ask what they were feeding and if he has any advice. my blue spot angel didn't eat right away, and is doing great now.

the BDM is still in the 210. I won't have time to move the rock and get it out until the weekend. lots of interest, but not sold yet.

LisaD
01/21/2009, 09:11 AM
ate scallops from a feeding stick!!!

thanks very much to justinpsmith and readmeli for their PM suggestions.

Justin suggested rubbing some food against the mouth.

As for feeding, I have always had luck with rubbing the food right against their teeth with a feeding stick for stubborn puffers. I think they often bite out of frustration.

This did the trick just now. The puffer isn't exactly ravenous yet, but ate some scallops with gusto.

Melissa pointed out that LA DD has a feeding chart of what they are actually feeding the fish at the facility ("Who Eats What?"). I have tried some but not all of the foods, and will do so asap.

FYI, here is the link:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=271

Chugalug
01/21/2009, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear he made it through and is eating. Let me know if he starts eating those corals ;)

LisaD
01/21/2009, 10:46 AM
so far, not at all. :)

Juice It
01/21/2009, 10:59 AM
Hopefully you won't have an issue with the corals. When I had to put my dogface in my reef tank due to a problem wrasse the only coral he would occaisionally take a bite out of was the gorgonian. He left all others alone and he was in there for a month.

e55MD
01/21/2009, 12:00 PM
My Golden Puffer has eaten each different type of coral I have ever put in the tank. He is the reason I don't have any.

fender4string
01/21/2009, 12:07 PM
I'm glad to hear he's eating! Happy end to a bad situation. Sorry about your having to give away the eel and other puffer though.

FishyMel
01/21/2009, 10:27 PM
Sucks that the poor puffer has to go through all that stress. diversden -> mail-> 29 gallon ->210 ->harrasement-> not eating well -> 55... I hope he takes it all well and comes out of it alright.

LisaD
01/22/2009, 04:54 AM
Hopefully you won't have an issue with the corals. When I had to put my dogface in my reef tank due to a problem wrasse the only coral he would occaisionally take a bite out of was the gorgonian. He left all others alone and he was in there for a month

I know several people that have kept puffers with corals, with mixed results, usually fewer problems than they feared. In this case, I'm not worried. I'm more attached to my fish than the corals, and just want the puffer to do well.

I hope he takes it all well and comes out of it alright.

me too. so far so good. he's eating really well now. shrimp as well as scallops, and seems happy (for now) in the 55. he pretty much has it to himself, since the marine betta lurks in the rocks and the wolf eel stays in the macro. the reticulate boxfish follows him around and competes for food, which seems to make him more determined to eat.

I feel very lucky that I caught the eel going after him before it did more damage. It was such a surprise, since it has no interest in any other fish. from my experience with eels, I'd expect that if a piscivore was going to be a problem, a puffer would be one of the last fish it would stalk for food.

LisaD
01/25/2009, 07:15 AM
munching on my mushrooms this morning. has been scraping his teeth on my Porites. glad he's happy, anyway. :) eating just about all frozen food offered as well. :)

j4mypets
01/25/2009, 08:11 AM
Great news!!! I am happy for you and that gorgeous puffer!:)

LisaD
01/25/2009, 08:16 AM
thanks. he's eyeing my Sinularia now. so, I'd say, definitely not reef safe, but very happy while eating it. :)

E.intheC
01/25/2009, 08:30 AM
I just read the sell thread.. that's a beautiful eel.. too bad he/she has been attacking your puffer. You'd think it would be the other way around.. I've heard stories of 'aggressive' puffers attacking eels..

How is your zebra eel getting along w/ your Dragon?

LisaD
01/25/2009, 09:31 AM
thanks E.intheC. I was completely floored when I saw the eel go after the puffer.

there has never been a conflict between the zebra and the dragon. sometimes they are in the same cave. in fact, the dragon hasn't had any conflicts that I've seen with any other fish.

I wish I had the space, and a 90 gallon tank, sump and stand handy, to set up a tank for the eel. I have the rock and all other equipment. I'm going to be out of the country the second week in February, and I'm hoping to have the eel out before I go.

E.intheC
01/25/2009, 10:27 AM
I wish I could help out. My empty 30 cube won't be much help for you though :)

DamnPepShrimp
01/25/2009, 12:05 PM
I have a spare 90g which my BDM eel is in right now for another hour or so :)

LisaD
01/25/2009, 03:19 PM
every reasonably priced tank bigger than 55 gallons on craigslist was sold this weekend. :(

elecbzerk
01/25/2009, 10:47 PM
your puffer ate some shrooms huh????very glad to see this had a happy ending for you Lisa!

DamnPepShrimp
01/25/2009, 10:50 PM
Get him a big tote! You can get a 150g one cheap from a local lawn and tractory supply! Not to mention put a few more fish in there! You could make a nice display if you found a tank too. I'd put some lionfish in it, maybe make it a reef.

chasekwe
01/25/2009, 11:22 PM
LisaD, we require "Proof of Life"... I want high res pics of your puffer with tomorrows newspaper next to it! I think this is all a big cover-up, the eel did get him!

LukFox
01/26/2009, 01:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14242647#post14242647 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chasekwe
LisaD, we require "Proof of Life"... I want high res pics of your puffer with tomorrows newspaper next to it! I think this is all a big cover-up, the eel did get him!

I completely agree! Until proven otherwise, the puffer got torn to pieces by the eel :lol: .

I'm glad to hear he's eating so well, even though the reef is on the menu!

LisaD
01/26/2009, 05:55 AM
sorry guys, headed out of town. :) I'll be back later this week. this is not the first time I have been accused of making up fish due to not posting pictures. you'll just have to tough it out til the weekend. I do have a couple of better pics on the camera. maybe I can upload from the road...

LisaD
01/26/2009, 05:58 AM
Get him a big tote! You can get a 150g one cheap from a local lawn and tractory supply! Not to mention put a few more fish in there! You could make a nice display if you found a tank too. I'd put some lionfish in it, maybe make it a reef.

my problem over the next couple weeks is time. my husband just had knee surgery, so I've had to stay close to home. now I have to travel for work this week, two days next week, then out of the country for the whole week after that.