PDA

View Full Version : best way to attatch a mushroom

ilv4xn
01/20/2009, 09:37 AM
my shrooms keep coming loose from the rock I glued them too. would a rubberband work better? or do they just like to come off of what they are stuck too?

Chris&Mel
01/20/2009, 09:42 AM
I used a loose rubber band on a toad stool......left it in place for a week, when I took it off he was firmly attached

ilv4xn
01/20/2009, 09:49 AM
the first one on my rock I just set on the rock in a slow corner untill he stuck there now he's crawling away and the two I just glued there are coming loose. damn tank critters

smsreefer
01/20/2009, 10:04 AM
I've had luck with placing in an area of low flow and letting them attach to some gravel .Then attaching the gravel to some rubble or rock .

ilv4xn
01/20/2009, 10:06 AM
thats a good idea i should try that

IslandCrow
01/20/2009, 10:22 AM
There are quite a few ways, but as you've found out, glue usually isn't a very good one. They usually slime up too much, and the glue doesn't stick to anything. A loose rubberband can work out alright (the trick is getting it not too tight and not too loose). Putting it in a low flow area can work out alright as well, though there's always a chance that it still gets blown away or knocked off by one of the tank's inhabitants. Putting a small piece of PVC (or other such "fence") around it can help preven that. You can also pin it between a couple rocks. A few other possibilities just for your consideration:

- Place it on a rock and wrap the rock and mushroom in bridal veil material
- Use fishing line or thread to sew the mushroom onto a rock.
- Spear the mushroom with a toothpick and rubberband the toothpick to a rock

longdangler
01/20/2009, 11:04 AM
I've used several things. Fishing line works ok, dental floss works better. The best thing ive use is a plastic cup with the bottom cut out. I bury it part way in the sand and place some rubble in it. then place the shrooms on top. The cup will sheild the flow and allow the shrooms to attach without being blown around. Should take in a week or two then you can move them around.

SaltyDr
01/20/2009, 06:23 PM
I have successfully used the plactic "bag" that onions come in. Wrap it around the rock with the mushroom on it and in a couple of weeks it is firmly attached. Same thing as the bridal veil, but my option is free.

jmadison
01/20/2009, 06:39 PM
Place the shroom on a rock in a small indent( or near a place with a peak on either side, and stretch one layer of pantyhose over it and rubber band or tie the pantyhose on. If you stretch it tight, its really seethrough, and if you put the shroom in a valley it doesnt total smash the shroom. then place in a lower light low flow area for two weeks to be sure it adhears. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT remove the pantyhose too early to check on it or anything, it will only start your process over. Do not smash the shroom with the pantyhose too much or with a rubber band b/c it will either cause the shroom to melt and die OR cut it in half and now you have two shrooms that arent attatched.

'Tool' which is the stuff wedding vales are made of works just like stretched pantyhose too.

bubblybumpkin
01/21/2009, 12:08 AM
if they come off they arent happy or you're not super gluing them right

divewsharks
01/21/2009, 04:33 AM
I use the method Lonedangler mentioned, a cup withe rubble, takes a little time, but has always worked for me, the toothpick method also works.

IslandCrow
01/21/2009, 08:07 AM
if they come off they arent happy or you're not super gluing them right

I'm not sure how many mushrooms you've superglued, but that method is more likely to fail than succeed. I've fragged hundreds of mushrooms and tried probably just about every method out there with varying degrees of success. Although it can sometimes work (and it depends on the type of mushroom), I'd say superglue is probably the least effective.

Savas
01/21/2009, 02:20 PM
Super glue has never worked long term for me either. I tied mine to a small rock with fishing line and then mount the rock to a bigger rock.