PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 6105 / Vortech mp40w

x2uranium
01/20/2009, 12:16 PM
I currently have a 75g sps only system. I was curious for those who have used both or who has one or another. Which would you reccommend for a 75g sps system. I currently have 2 k4's and 2 k3's but I want to add some more flow. I am about to get one of them but I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks.

precko
01/20/2009, 12:38 PM
I was torn between these 2. After reading more than a few complaints about the noise of the Vortechs I decided to go with the Tunze stream 2's, 2x6105's and multicontroller, saved me a fair bit of money aswell.

Are the Stream 2's available over there yet? Mine arrived 2 weeks ago :D they are only marginally bigger than the nano streams but with all the power of the original streams, plus like the nano's can be pointed in any direction.

x2uranium
01/20/2009, 01:09 PM
I dont know if the stream 2's are available yet. I am hoping so, They just seem like alot more flow than the vortechs plus I am not raelly concerned with footprint.

areze
01/20/2009, 01:19 PM
I got an email from aquacave a week ago or so listing them as available.

I might add to my 6101s pretty soon.

R.W.
01/20/2009, 02:31 PM
I went through this exact same thing in december. I was torn between adding a 6105 to my 6101 and buying a multicontroller aswell. The other option was the vortech mp40w. Since i already had a 6101 I really wanted to try a vortech because of all the reviews there are stating the amazing flow. I bought the vortech because I found one for $400 on boxing day. IMO vortech is nice, provide very wide flow, and doesn't take away much space inside the tank. I haven't found it to be that noisy, yet there is some because the motor is mounted outside of the tank. Another reason I went with vortech is because of the the wireless capabilities, adding another pump is very easy and you don't need to buy a multicontroller. They are both great products! I like the vortech but still love my tunze's power.

Just a thought I had on this.

macreefster
01/20/2009, 02:48 PM
ive had both and they are both great products. in my 70 i settled on keeping the vortechs because of their small footprint inside the tank. they are noisier, especially when run at full or near full strength, than the tunze....but i just didnt want to give up that much space inside my tank for the tunze. i was using the 6105 with a nano wavebox and loved the effect (except for the the unslightliness of the units) and am now using two vortech mp40w's on the same side of the tank in synch mode....they move a lot of water and my sps love it. i will say that in my next tank (which will be larger) i'll design room for the tunze as i like a silent tank..... at least with the new night mode on the vortechs the noise can be reduce at night.

walmart
01/20/2009, 04:17 PM
Can the Tunze 6105s create the "wave" like a Vortech can?

Like in this video:

Vortech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRtivBi8Ko&feature=channel_page)

USC-fan
01/20/2009, 05:16 PM
no

ant1k
01/20/2009, 05:58 PM
i was having the same dillema for my 125. but a pair of vortechs came out cheaper than a pair of 6105s with the controller. and the vortechs are still cheaper even with the backup power supply. even though i really wanted the tunzes.

plus aquacave has 10% off vortechs this month. so i was able to order (2)mp40s +backup for $900.

AcroporAddict
01/20/2009, 06:15 PM
Vortechs are noisier than Tunzes, but still not bad. I have 4 6105s on my 210 SPS tank. I have my 6105s on the back glass, which would be hard to do with a Vortech with my reef wall. Back placement frees up the sides of the tank, and makes the entire reef look much more natural.

I am setting up a 30" x 30" x 24" (100 gallons) open aquascape style reef tank for acans and chalices and just bought a Vortech MP40W to try. I am hoping this will give broad, gentle flow. I hope I made the right choice.
Dave

x2uranium
01/20/2009, 06:40 PM
I love the wave motion that is associated with the vortechs but it doesnt look like there are any other powerheads in there. I think that this would conflict with the wave motion. I still want to be able to keep my other powerheads in my tank.

I may get the vortech only becasuse At our swap in 2 weeks we will be getting 20% off an item at TFP in lancaster.

They dont sell tunze. Although I was scouring the for sale forum looking for used 6100's with controllers and magnets. They get eaten up fast around here.

luvreefs23
01/20/2009, 07:02 PM
if anyone is having a hard time finding the new tunze 6105s my lfs had 2 left last saturday after i picked one up. They are online also, www.saltycritter.com