PDA

View Full Version : My New 105G

texhorns98
01/20/2009, 04:26 PM
OK, so after only a few months with my 70G, I'm already itching to get a bigger tank. I've found a builder who will custom make me a tank for a great price and I have settled (I think!) on 48Lx21Dx24H. I wanted more depth than a 90, but a 120 proved to be pretty intrusive in the living room!

I have pretty much full control over customizing this tank, and I would like some advice. I can choose how many and the location of my overflows and can also add a closed loop to the tank. I plan on going eurobraced (also at no extra charge). Questions:

1. One or two overflows? If one...in the middle?
2. Closed loop or no? I don't know much about them, but I like the idea of losing most, if not all of my PHs.
3. I am going with a slightly oversized stand so I can bump up my sump/fuge size. Can you ever have too big a sump? :)

longdangler
01/20/2009, 04:39 PM
Could still have a 120 wide. That's what I run, 48x24x24. I would only run one overflow in the corner. That is just a personal choice. I don't like having just one in the middle because I always have problems with aquascaping. I have seen some that look fine though. Dual overflows are not neccesary on a tank that size. If you do decide to run two you would most certainly have to reduce the bulk head size otherwise your turn over rate may be a little high.

And no there is no such thing a too big a sump. The larger the water volume the easier it is to maintain your water Par. Plus it leaves you extra room for added gadgets.

texhorns98
01/20/2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks, longdangler.

Yeah, the 120 wide was what I was looking at. It may seem silly, but that extra 3 inches makes a big difference to my wife (pipe down fellas!). What do you think about adding a CL? Where should I put the bulkheads for that if I add it? If I run a single overflow in the middle, I will probably have two drains and two returns drilled. I plan on making a foam rock wall, so aquascaping shouldn't pose a problem there.

texhorns98
01/20/2009, 05:33 PM
bump, please. Board is moving quick today!! :)

texhorns98
01/20/2009, 07:10 PM
Is there another forum I should post this? Or is there something against me posting on here? Seems like I've had trouble the past few times I've posted a question!:(

texhorns98
01/20/2009, 09:10 PM
Really...am I banned or something?