PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use BH 300F skimmer

calli
01/20/2009, 08:09 PM
Anyone use the octopus BH 300F Skimmer and if so what do you use in the extra chamber?

I also kinda like this setup for the skimmer as the pumps are on the inside of the skimmer and not in the tank like the BH 300

Josh Candiotti
01/20/2009, 08:21 PM
Is it the hang on the back one?

calli
01/20/2009, 08:22 PM
yes.. with an extra chamber for filter media

Acan Addict
01/20/2009, 08:30 PM
I have a Deltec MCE300,it sorta has a extra chamber i use it as a refug with some chaeto.

Josh Candiotti
01/20/2009, 08:38 PM
All I run is a sponge that it came with. It works great for me.

calli
01/20/2009, 10:38 PM
and the sponge keeps the debris out of the water pretty good?

Josh Candiotti
01/21/2009, 01:09 PM
Ya very well. I happen to run a fluval 405 canister filter in addition with several different types of media and my water is crystal clear. I would deffinatley recommend a canister filter even though most people don't, I think as long as you replace the media often there shouldn't be a huge alagae build up IMO. But I am sure many diagree. If you want I can list the types of media I use. I happen to have a very similar set up to you. Being I also have a 65 gallon tank with a canister filter and the same type of skimmer.

calli
01/21/2009, 02:00 PM
That is crazy .. I just noticed that ... 65 Gallon with the 300F (possibly buying) and the canister is one model down. Yeah I would like that if you could list what media you use in the canister... I was thinking...

Carbon (bags)
Phosophate (Cloth)
And another Sponge.

But what is it that you use?

Josh Candiotti
01/21/2009, 03:50 PM
My fluval has 4 sponges in the special sponge section called Section 1 and than 4 rows of media spaces each divided by a wall in between called Section 2-9. Im going asumme yours is the same or at least very similar. In section 2,3 which is the first container the bottom 1, I run Fluval ClearMax which I belive is very effective. Section 4,5 which is above 2 and 3 I run Purigen which I was told does the same as carbon without removing trace elements. Section 6 and 7 I run and I dont know the specific brand but its a type of filter floss. When you go to any fish store they should have a bag of it, it looks just like a huge ball of cotton. You break a piece off and insert it right into both section 6 and section 7. In section 8 and 9 I run Fluval Biomox

now to make this a little simpler the bottom row i run Fluval Clearmax, above that Seachem's Purigen, above that filter floss. Any brand should be fine I think. Ask the store which they would recommend. They all are pretty much the same I think though. And above that I have Fluval Biomax. This combination has worked great for me and I hope it works great for you as well if you choose to go this route. If you have any questions for me perosnally, you can private message me through ReefCentral

calli
01/21/2009, 04:04 PM
No I just have 3 sections in mine...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/calli78/FilterInsert001.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/calli78/FilterInsert003.jpg

Josh Candiotti
01/21/2009, 04:16 PM
If I were you I would ask if you can put 2 different medias in 1 container. I don't see why not considering the water all gets mixed through the filter anyway. But you rather be safe than sorry. If you had to only run 3 though I would run it without the filter floss.