PDA

View Full Version : Zoa Size

IFbettas
01/20/2009, 09:50 PM
Just wondering how big is considered big and how small is small when it comes to zoas. I have several zoos, some in high light, some in low light, and they are good size. I went over to see a friends tank yesterday for a trade, and all of his zoas were like a third the size of mine! My watermelons were definately more than three times as big as his, but both have great coloration. I got some gorilla nipples from him, and they are really small, so I'm going to see if they get bigger in my tank. Both of our tanks have good amounts of flow too.

So what are some factors that affect the size of zoas?

UTCReefer
01/20/2009, 10:20 PM
Are you sure some of them arent palys? Zoo's can be pretty small too though

SIR PATRICK
01/20/2009, 10:35 PM
I have to say lighting has a big part to do with it.

I have traded with people in the past who have alot better lighting than me (when I had really low lighting) and their polyps got much bigger than mine, while keeping the same colors.

I have also had polyps in my tank in low light be largish, but then when placed very high in the tank shrink down, reatain their color, but still do well.

I have also had old bulbs (175w MH)produce a decent size polyp, but then when replced with a new bulb, shrink polyps very small and slowly disapear, all the while retaining the same colors.

IME, bulb age and intensity play a strong roll in the size of the polyps.

I am sure other matters play a role.

What is the lighting difference, and placements of the polys comparitively with your guys tanks? Bulb age and types and all?

IFbettas
01/21/2009, 07:37 PM
My friend is using a 6 bulb tek 54 watt t5 fixture, I'm not sure what bulbs he is using, and I'm running 150 watt xm 10k's. Both of our zoas are mostly on the bottom. My tank is about 16 inches deep, and his is about 18 inches.

So does more lighting produce larger or smaller polyps?

pondy
01/21/2009, 07:52 PM
Great questions. I hope that you find out the difference. I have wondered this myself. My bulbs are 3 months old and they are all UV lights, I have a red spectrum, and 3 blue pluses, with 2 daylight lights not sure on what kind though.