PDA

View Full Version : vacation tank tear-down questions...

barrysalt
01/21/2009, 09:04 AM
I have a 65 g with sump/refugium of 30 g. I can park my few fish and all the corals with a friend until I get back after a month. But I need some answers on following:
I want to preserve all LR, critters in sand, coraline, etc that will be left--I can run an air stone, ha ve a 175 MH bulb cycle daily, and have someone top off the evaporation once a week, also keep a heater going. Will this work?
Skimmer, refugium loop to main tank, other lighting all shut down. Any suggestions on keeping things viable until I get back and reconnect everything?? Thanks...

THE ROOK
01/21/2009, 09:24 AM
How about a strong powerhead aimed towards surface instead of an air stone. Plenty of tanks don't run a sump.

Hopefully someone will chime in about the lighting. Maybe you can do without it.

barrysalt
01/21/2009, 09:50 AM
Rook--thanks....I'd be concerned that without any lighting at all, all the coraline will die, as well as any photosynthesizing critters left in the rocks, sand, etc. I don't mind a photo-cycle once a day, if that will keep the almost-empty tank healthy for a month.