PDA

View Full Version : Ready to go?

amandasaurus
01/21/2009, 03:33 PM
I was told I would need my tank up and running for 4-6 weeks before I could put "real" (not damsel) fish in. It's been 3.5 weeks since I put in the salt water and live sand, 2.5 weeks since I put a pair of damsels in, and a week and a half since I added live rock and a pair of peppermint shrimp. I've done two water tests (with the API marine test kit) in the past week - one of them last night - and all my readings came out perfect. Am I ready to try adding new fish, even though it hasn't even been 4 weeks yet? Is the 4-6 weeks just a guideline?

VacavilleFC3S
01/21/2009, 03:38 PM
if you just added the rock 1 1/2 weeks ago you still need to wait 3-4 weeks or so, the 4-6 week wait starts after adding the live rock

jhildebrand
01/21/2009, 04:49 PM
+1 on that.

you gotta make sure the rock is completely cycled and no more die off before knowing those "perfect" levels are stable. slow and patient wins this race...

Andystl
01/21/2009, 04:53 PM
"slow and patient wins this race..."

+1 on that. Nothing good comes fast in this hobby

crysis
01/21/2009, 05:10 PM
Yes, take it slow now. You should have added LR when you added the sand. Just to keep in mind, be careful adding things that dig in the sand since your LR is set on top of the sand. They can dig out the bottom of the LR and cause a potential collapse.

savethereef
01/21/2009, 06:21 PM
also with such a small water volume every time you add a fish it causes a small cycle because the tank has an increase in the bio load. dont add more than one fish at a time into the tank.

amandasaurus
01/22/2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks, everyone. What you're all saying is pretty much what I thought, but I'm getting conflicting messages (and some pressure) from different LFSs. Thanks for helping me figure out who wants to help and who wants my money! :rolleyes:

Captain Amazing
01/22/2009, 11:34 AM
I personally would not put any more fish into a 14 gallon biocube. Unless you plan on removing your pair of damsels that are already in there.

qfrisco
01/22/2009, 02:12 PM
Where did you get the LR? If you got it from an established tank (or from a LR tank at an LFS), and the LR wasn't out of water for an extended period of time, you probably won't see an ammonia spike from the LR.

The 4-6 weeks is only a guideline. Post the history of your water parameters and we could help better determine if you're ready to go. :-)

amandasaurus
01/22/2009, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14215357#post14215357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Captain Amazing
I personally would not put any more fish into a 14 gallon biocube. Unless you plan on removing your pair of damsels that are already in there.
The damsels are going to go. They're just in there to help cycle. I was told (by multiple sources) that my size BioCube was good for up to four small fish?
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14216503#post14216503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by qfrisco
Where did you get the LR? If you got it from an established tank (or from a LR tank at an LFS), and the LR wasn't out of water for an extended period of time, you probably won't see an ammonia spike from the LR.

The 4-6 weeks is only a guideline. Post the history of your water parameters and we could help better determine if you're ready to go. :-)
I got my LR from Rockin Reef, a well-known and respected LFS (and not the LFS that's trying to pressure me!). The LR was out of the water for the 15 minutes it took to drive home from the store, and even then it was wrapped in towels that had been soaked in the water it was in.

VacavilleFC3S
01/26/2009, 08:17 PM
rule of thumb is : "don't listen to you LFS ever" research everything yourself.

there was absolutely no need to cycle with damsels, basically your toturing them to cycle the tank. get them out now before you have to remove all your rock to get at them.

spleify
01/26/2009, 08:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14249639#post14249639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VacavilleFC3S

there was absolutely no need to cycle with damsels, basically your toturing them to cycle the tank. get them out now before you have to remove all your rock to get at them.

+1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14208891#post14208891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by amandasaurus
I was told I would need my tank up and running for 4-6 weeks before I could put "real" (not damsel) fish in.

I want to know who told you that damsels are not real fish....just because they might not cost as much as another fish, does not mean they are not still fish.

Letting your tank cycle means letting it cycle with no living inhabitants. It is like a long slow death sentence for them. Take the fish out bring them back the the bad LFS you got them at, then never return to that place again.

If you have questions ask here first, or take the time to research first.

This is not a lashing out, just some advice.

I hope this helps.

Spleify