PDA

View Full Version : Lipogramma klayi

snorvich
01/21/2009, 06:37 PM
As one who seems able to find the holy grail of Lipogramma, do you anticipate any possible acquisition of the titled fish?

dfs/la2
01/21/2009, 07:29 PM
Snorvich,

Thank you for your post. We sincerely apologize at this time we are unsure of the availability in the Lipogramma Klayi. However we would be more than happy to contact our Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility tomorrow morning for this information. Once we have this information available we will post back to let you know.

We thank you for your patience in this matter.

Michelle L.
LiveAquaria (liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (drsfostersmith.com)

DFS
01/22/2009, 07:52 AM
Steve,

With the recent surge in interest among seasoned marine enthusiasts for smaller deepwater Basslets and Grammas, its no wonder fish like the Bicolored Heliotrope Basslet Lipogramma klayi, Threelined Basslet Lipogramma trilineatas, and the Royal Basslet Lipogramma regiaare are now being recognized more frequently. All three of these fish are incredibly beautiful, but unfortunately are rarely ever seen in the aquarium trade. If these fish do show up they fetch upwards of a thousand dollars or more.

Like all very deep dwelling fish, these Caribbean endemics are found in very deep water ranging from 200-400 feet deep. As you know, diving to these depths is very risky, and requires a very experienced team of experienced divers who utilize mixed gas rebreathers. There are only a handful of fish collectors across the world, and only a few in South Florida who occasionally dive to these depths to harvest more cryptic fish.

Like many other infrequently available species, if and when any of these fish were to become available I will surely try and obtain some.

Happy Fishkeeping!

snorvich
01/22/2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks Kevin. You have already obtained some incredible Lipogramma so do not hear my posting as anything more than lust. But if they are available, I probably would be interested.