PDA

View Full Version : return pump

my350z
01/21/2009, 06:44 PM
need help on what size of external mounted return pump I will need for my 215 gals reef tank. I was told that you need a pump that will turn the water ten times. Can someone clarify this for me. Also will like a recommendation on a quiet, good quality pump.

Fish_wiz2
01/21/2009, 07:10 PM
What you where told does not really have to do with your return. your return pump just has to pump what your overflow can handle and that amount is added to your total turnover or what you were saying (the x amount). a good pump would be a quiet one, ehiem, or ocean runner, they all are quality pumps, can be inline or submersible, and are energy efficient.

Craig Lambert
01/21/2009, 07:31 PM
3 to 5 times the tank volume for your return is a good rule of thumb. There is no need for ten times turnover. There are several benefits to keeping the amount of water returned to the tank at 3 to 5 times your tank volume. Your skimmer will be fed a higher percentage of water passing through your sump and skim more efficiently, you will save on electricity vs a large pump, and your system will run quieter.

Here is a link to a head loss calculator that will help you determine how much water is actually returning to the tank from
from your sump:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php