PDA

View Full Version : Reefkeeper LITE / ACJR Questions

Reefer08
01/21/2009, 08:45 PM
Anyone know if the new Reefkeeper lite would be capable of controlling a perstaltic pump? Would I be able to run if for X amount of minutes per hour? Or even more often then just X minutes per hour?

Would the aquacontroller JR be capable of doing this?

Id ideally want to have a controller run a kalkwasser reactor perstaltic pump. So far the best method for running a kalk-rx seems to be the litermeter3. Any advice is appreciated, thanks

DaveMorris
01/22/2009, 01:29 AM
You can set the Reefkeeper Lite to do that by the minute. I have one right now that I am playing with and it is very simple to set up what you are talking about. And it is only $149 and upgradeable to the Elite system.

Reefer08
01/22/2009, 03:20 PM
Would all controllers be able to do this? From what I read most of the lower end ones only do a timer based on 15 minute minimum intervals.

DaveMorris
01/22/2009, 03:35 PM
That is quite possible that a lot of them have limitations like that. I am not familiar enough with the ACjr to know on that one in particular.

RussM
01/22/2009, 04:41 PM
ACjr can control things down to one-minute intervals.

DaveMorris
01/23/2009, 01:54 PM
I was just playing around with the RKL and noticed that you can program in one second intervals, not one minute intervals. So if your dosing pumps needed to run for 30 seconds, it is no problem to do it on the RKL.

SHOmuchFUN
01/23/2009, 02:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14224443#post14224443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaveMorris
I was just playing around with the RKL and noticed that you can program in one second intervals, not one minute intervals. So if your dosing pumps needed to run for 30 seconds, it is no problem to do it on the RKL.
What dosing pump would need to run for seconds?
Unless you were going to use one for dosing vodka or something... Seems kinda silly.

qfrisco
02/01/2009, 09:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14213266#post14213266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaveMorris
You can set the Reefkeeper Lite to do that by the minute. I have one right now that I am playing with and it is very simple to set up what you are talking about. And it is only $149 and upgradeable to the Elite system.

Unless I've misunderstood the RKL features, it is not upgradeable to a RKE. Far from it, actually. The most decked-out RKL (with all the modules planned for it) won't be much more than a fully-decked-out ACJr.

I thought this as well, until I read into it a little bit. For example, no ethernet module is planned for the RKL.

Kieth71
02/01/2009, 10:48 AM
I beleive from what i have read that the only limitations on the rkl is that you can only expand to 16 outets and it will have no ethernet module.The first is not a problem for me since i dont see needing more controlled outlets then that.The second is a let down as it would be nice to have wireless access.I am just not sure the extra money for the rke is worth it to me right now for that one thing but i am still thinking about it.

harleyreefer
02/01/2009, 12:50 PM
I agree with the posts above. the RKlite is expandable, but it will never be a true RKE... Besides the limitations listed above, you left out one biggie for me.. The lite is not comatable with the SL2 module that is supposed to be released at any time. This is the module that allows for a salinity probe. This waas a deal breaker for me, along with the net module. Another difference, that really dosent affect me, is the ALC module. This one is for control of dimmable t5 ballasts, and moonlights perhaps. Not positive about the moonlight thing, because I think they have a seperate module for that.

One last thing that worries me, is that when MyReef comes out, again at any time this quarter. I am not sure how much good it will do without the net module. I am sure that there will be a difference on the things it will do with your computer, depending if you have the RKE or the RKL

The basic RKE is about 10 bucks more than the high end RKL, so you can add exactly what you want in the future with the RKE. Nice to have the options I would think.

RKE expandable to 64 MODUALS
RKL expandable to 4 moduals

RKE 63 alarms
RKL 16 alarms

RKE max controlable outlets 252
RKL max controllable outlets 16

RKE standbye feeding modes 4
RKL standbye feeding modes 1

RKL no graghing

RKE display 128x64 lcd
RKL display 16x2line lcd

seems to me that the RKL will be a fine unit indeed, but I dont really see how they can claim that you can upgrade it to a RKE...

Thats why I spent the extra bucks for a RKE.. It should be here in a couple days :-)))

unbreakable
02/01/2009, 01:48 PM
would definitely get the Basic RKE which isnt much more than the RKL 3. I bought the RKL 3 because I dont need the features the RKE has, not anytime soon anyways. But ill be upgrading for sure

Dave, can you tell us more about the RKL any pics? Im waiting for mine to be shipped out

harleyreefer
02/01/2009, 03:02 PM
and a shout out to unbreakable in Mcallen Texas!!! happy reefing!

Kieth71
02/03/2009, 12:20 PM
I just pre-prdered the reef keeper lite package# 3 .In the end the only thing i was not happy about was the ethernet ability but i will get over it and i believe it is a nice unit.I cant wait to be able to take out the timers i have set up and also have a good way to control my heaters.I will repost with some pictures once it arrives.