PDA

View Full Version : Feeding an Anenome...help me out guys?

joem1cha3l
01/21/2009, 08:55 PM
Whats the easiest way to feed an anenome? What should I be fed? Should my pump be turned off during this time for my sump? Ive had an issue getting food to its "mouth" in the past. Ive seen the LFS feed their coral with a syringe. Is this feasable?

Reef'in Colorado
01/21/2009, 09:02 PM
I would recommend chunks of raw shrimp, clams or other goodies you can pick up at the grocery store in the frozen section. You can also try some of the different frozen (but thaw b4 feeding) foods like ocean nutrition formula 1 etc or mysis shrimp. Just use your hand and put the food down into the tentacles near the mouth.

davocean
01/21/2009, 09:07 PM
Well, you should just be able to touch it w/ a silverside and it will pull it to it's mouth on it's own.
Most clowns will feed it when you feed them as well.
Really, light is their main source of energy, and they can go a long time w/out spot feed at all, and some NEVER spot as a means to keep from over growing, which leads to my question, what kind of nem, and is this for your 29g that you plan to put lots of coral in soon?
Keep in mind, nems sting coral.

MarkusII
01/21/2009, 11:51 PM
Hello,

first question should be - which anemone?

Normally you do not have to feed most anemones, as they also have zooxantheles and the anemone fish will also feed the anemone.
And never try to feed an anemone with larger items like mussels or clams and so on. They do not catch this food in nature either and have difficulties to digest this stuff.

regards

Markus

tami1024
01/22/2009, 07:34 AM
I have a tomato clown that steals food from my nem. I have to actually keep the clown away from the nem until the nem has its food covered so the clown does'nt get it. That clown is a greedy one I say!!!

Pheeshes
01/22/2009, 08:45 AM
i feed my LTA once or twice a week if have an extra piece of silver side. just tickle the tenticle with it and it practically pulls it away from the claw thing i use to feed it.

MarkusII
01/22/2009, 10:09 AM
Hello,

I believe that a silverside is a rather large piece for an anemone...

Could lead to overfeeding.

regards

Markus

mjoener
01/22/2009, 10:15 AM
HOw big is the nem?

Pheeshes
01/22/2009, 10:27 AM
oh, sorry i wasn't very clear. we cut up silversides into pieces about half or quarter the size of a dime and about 1/4-1/8 inch thick and the nem gets one of those once or twice a week. sorry about that. a whole silverside once a week would be way over feeding, haha

Ismellikefish
01/22/2009, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14214901#post14214901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pheeshes
oh, sorry i wasn't very clear. we cut up silversides into pieces about half or quarter the size of a dime and about 1/4-1/8 inch thick and the nem gets one of those once or twice a week. sorry about that. a whole silverside once a week would be way over feeding, haha

^ This