PDA

View Full Version : 19 years old Tomato settling down

vaporize
01/21/2009, 10:36 PM
I just inherited a pair of 19 years old Tomato clowns, they were previously wild caught and had been in one of the oldest tank in the Toronto area.

At the time of purchase, they were both the same size but obviously the female has grown to almost 6-7" during the 19 years and the male pretty much stayed the same size.

Below is a video of them settling in the tank last night. Note that gigantea carpet anemone is not small, it's 1' in diameter at least... but somehow with the fish, it looks small. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V1GEeCtx2U

enjoy.

p.s. What's the oldest clownfish in captivity, I think a few years ago I was reading a 25 yrs old ocellaris.

NCSUsalt
01/22/2009, 12:04 AM
how long have you had the gigantea? looks bleached, hope it is doing well for ya.

jmadison
01/22/2009, 12:15 AM
WOW! She's quite a tank, just abusing that nem :D ! They are quite dark in their old age also! Neat, Congrats! Think of the amount of fry and fry's fry and fry's fry's fry.... that they could be responsible for in 19yrs!

klepto
01/22/2009, 01:06 AM
beautiful fish! thanks for the video.
your Hippo looks like it has some pretty bad HLLE if im not mistaken. perhaps it could use a little love?- read the Herbivores section of this post for some excellent advice.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=785228

vaporize
01/22/2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the tips on the hippo tang, actually it's on its way healing, it was worst a week before, so I am feeding it veggie and making sure it's coming back okay.

As for the gigantea carpet, it's a new addition and I really do not know if it is due to the collection area or not. These were suppose to be deep water collected and all of the anemones collected do have a bleached coloration (light baby blue, light purple, light yellow - or perhaps really green). Not sure if it's because it's collected deep water so it is not relying as much on light. The carpet itself is a risk but I've never seen one yellow, so giving it a try.

vaporize
01/22/2009, 03:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14212983#post14212983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmadison
WOW! She's quite a tank, just abusing that nem :D ! They are quite dark in their old age also! Neat, Congrats! Think of the amount of fry and fry's fry and fry's fry's fry.... that they could be responsible for in 19yrs!

yeah the previous owner did not raise any batches, but the last count was at 121 batches up to 2 months ago. The previous owners did keep very good track record of everything, it's a bit of a sad thing to see such a long running tank being taken down.

klepto
01/22/2009, 03:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14213474#post14213474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vaporize
Thanks for the tips on the hippo tang, actually it's on its way healing, it was worst a week before, so I am feeding it veggie and making sure it's coming back okay.

As for the gigantea carpet, it's a new addition and I really do not know if it is due to the collection area or not. These were suppose to be deep water collected and all of the anemones collected do have a bleached coloration (light baby blue, light purple, light yellow - or perhaps really green). Not sure if it's because it's collected deep water so it is not relying as much on light. The carpet itself is a risk but I've never seen one yellow, so giving it a try.
good to hear about the Hippo! your welcome.

What kind of lighting do you have the Gig. under- i realize this species doesn't require as much light as others.
this page had some good looking Gigantea as a color reference..
http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305

vaporize
01/22/2009, 03:26 AM
Thanks Klepto, will read up. Seems like there is a much higher availability of gigantea carpets coming in these days for whatever reasons from new collection areas.

criccio
01/22/2009, 07:56 PM
Absolutely awesome to have a pair that old, I wonder though, if they are actually A. frenatus or possibly A. rubrocinctus. I only pose the possibility because the male is so dark unlike males of A. frenatus pairs, and the fact that the females bar is almost completely gone, it just makes me wonder. Do you think the original owner knows where they were collected from?

I guess after 20 years together though, who knows what type of coloration male/females may take on.

Congrat's either way.

melanotaenia
01/22/2009, 10:55 PM
amazing fish! Congrats on the acquisition; that female is huge!!

vaporize
01/23/2009, 12:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14219022#post14219022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by criccio
Absolutely awesome to have a pair that old, I wonder though, if they are actually A. frenatus or possibly A. rubrocinctus. I only pose the possibility because the male is so dark unlike males of A. frenatus pairs, and the fact that the females bar is almost completely gone, it just makes me wonder. Do you think the original owner knows where they were collected from?

I guess after 20 years together though, who knows what type of coloration male/females may take on.

Congrat's either way.

I was thinking along the lines of A.rubrocinctus but the owners are not sure of their collection area, they bought them as a breeding pair back then as a trade-in (and not new arrivals), so they can be another 5-10 yrs old who knows.