PDA

View Full Version : I ordered your 75gpd premium system

RRaider
01/22/2009, 08:40 AM
It hasn't arrived yet but I have been thinking. We have VERY hard water here. I don't have a TDS meter yet (coming with system) but I know our TDS is high. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and add a 5 micron sediment filter to the front of the system to help pull out some of the bigger stuff before it gets to the finer filters.

Buckeye Hydro
01/22/2009, 04:11 PM
The sediment filter removes UNdissolved solids, otherwise known as suspended solids (or TSS - Total Suspended Solids). The chemicals that make water "hard," primarily calcium and magnesium, are dissolved in the water and would not be removed by the sediment filter. A water softener would remove them before they got to the membrane.

Russ

drjosay
02/09/2009, 02:47 PM
I have hard water in my area as well (15-20 gpg). I am looking to possibly purchase a water softener.

1. What is better; a water softener or a water conditioner?

2. Is it better to pay extra for the salt-free water softener, or does it produce the same results as the regular water softeners?

I bought a 100gpd reef system from you guys back in December. Absolutely love it!

Buckeye Hydro
02/09/2009, 04:20 PM
"WAter conditioner" is a bit of a generic term that can mean lots of things, including water softening. I suspect a water softener which uses salt will work fine for you. Temper that advice if you have other water quality issues which might call for other/additional treatment. A water test is a good place to start.

Russ