PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus

Thurge
01/22/2009, 02:08 PM
I am wondering how deep a tank is necessary for a Nautilus? I may have an opportunity to purchase a lobster tank and its got me thinking aobut the cold water possibilities. Obviously the filtration and such would need to be upgraded. The tank is about the size of a 50gal breeder, and I am hopiing this would be sufficent for a Nautilus or two.

Ideas?
Thanks

CuttleKid
01/22/2009, 06:24 PM
you could only keep one nautilus in a tank that size although a larger specimen would need a a bigger tank then that. try looking on Tonmo.com for information. these animals are best suited for aquariums and research institutes who can provide it with daily temperature fluctuations that mimic its natural environment. although it's possible to keep them in home aquariums the nautilus' shell will degrade as it grows because of the lack of deep sea pressure and calcium deficiences.

Thales
01/22/2009, 11:29 PM
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Thurge
01/23/2009, 12:01 AM
Oh yea I forgot about TONMO, thanks.

Tank is at least 4'x2'x20" high. I went and looked at it again, but didn't have a tape with me.

CuttleKid
01/23/2009, 01:04 PM
the tank dimensions you posted will fit only one nautilus. the minimum dimensions for a single nautilus are 3'x18''x2' deep. if you want more you'll have to double or even triple the dimensions and have a highly efficient chiller and have a back up chiller and generator in case of power outages.

good luck

ctenophors rule
03/16/2009, 05:23 PM
that is the minimal, but when you consider nautalus behavior, i wouldn't keep one in anything short of a 100,000 gallon.

jmo, i know they can live fine in small tanks, just seems cruel.

just like tangs, and other large fish, they need massive tanks. (1000's of gallons imo)

peace

oldmama
03/22/2009, 01:20 PM
is a nautalus dangerous

mokeyz
03/25/2009, 06:21 PM
Considering that Nautilus don't ever belong in an aquarium and that they require lower temps than normal reef tanks and that they are almost an endangered species you should not keep these and discourage anyone else from keeping them. They are also very short lived and no they're not dangerous, it's only dangerous to them to be kept in aquaria.

ghandidawgg
04/11/2009, 10:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14692053#post14692053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mokeyz
Considering that Nautilus don't ever belong in an aquarium and that they require lower temps than normal reef tanks and that they are almost an endangered species you should not keep these and discourage anyone else from keeping them. They are also very short lived and no they're not dangerous, it's only dangerous to them to be kept in aquaria.

I agree. you shouldn't try to keep one of those