PDA

View Full Version : A nano tank to replace my 140g setup

tgunn
01/23/2009, 08:38 AM
Some of you may be familiar with my old 140g setup (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1100373&goto=lastpost). My 140g setup has been up for 3 years now. Due to the fact I'm working full time, pursuing a Masters degree, all while my family grew, I've not had the time to do proper maintenance on my 140g setup.

I had considered revamping my setup, but right before Christmas the worst possible thing happened; my lack of maintenance caught up with me, and all the drains on the tank plugged, overflowing the tank into the living room. Not fun.

With too many things that I'd need to change and revamp and no time to do these things I decided it would be best to sell off my 140g setup. This weekend the last of the fish go, and I'll be draining the tank, leaving just the sump going to keep the live rock and a few remaining inverts that need to be sold. Very bittersweet to say the least.

However I've come to realize that reefing is a true addiction and I can't possibly give it all up. So with that in mind I'm embarking on a journey to keeping a 10-20g nano tank instead. Still work to maintain, but it won't suffer from the same problems that plagued my 140 setup.

I'm going to the LFS tonight to check out the 20g nano cube tanks he has. Very nice little tank with all the stuff packed into a back compartment similar to the JBJ and Red Sea units. Plus it has a really nice solid wood stand that I really like the look of. The only catch is I'm not sure how to mount lights in the canopy; it's not very tall at all. The LFS and I will try and work out the logistics of that tonight. My hope is to get 4 T5s in there.

I'm going to start from scratch; new sand, and some new dead base rock for the tank. I want to avoid bringing the scourge of aptasia and valonia over from my 140g setup.

What am I going to keep?
- At most 1 fish; but this would come later.
- Mainly SPS; I have frags of 4 of my favorite previous corals.

I'll post some pics later when I get back from the LFS.

Tyler

token
01/23/2009, 08:50 AM
In many ways, I like nano's more than big tanks. I just got four Chalk Bass for my 75g display and I like them a lot. They are calm, very good looking and hungry. The "hungry" part may not be best for a nano but the other characteristics work!

Good luck with this tank!

Electrobes
01/23/2009, 09:16 AM
Looking forward to seeing your progress Tyler. Nanos are fun as doing maintenance on them is quicker, easier.. and cheaper! ;) All I can suggest is making it as K.I.S.S. as possible... even nano people get frustrated when they do too much. ;)

tgunn
01/23/2009, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14222316#post14222316 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
In many ways, I like nano's more than big tanks. I just got four Chalk Bass for my 75g display and I like them a lot. They are calm, very good looking and hungry. The "hungry" part may not be best for a nano but the other characteristics work!

Good luck with this tank!

Thanks! I've seen lots of amazing nanos out there so I'm hoping I can pull off something decent.

I think it'll be interesting to be able to showcase a small assortment of corals in a nano.

Thansk,
Tyler

tgunn
01/23/2009, 09:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14222488#post14222488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Electrobes
Looking forward to seeing your progress Tyler. Nanos are fun as doing maintenance on them is quicker, easier.. and cheaper! ;) All I can suggest is making it as K.I.S.S. as possible... even nano people get frustrated when they do too much. ;)

Yes, the big problem I had with my 140g tank was that the way I set it up I couldn't reach most areas of the tank to do maintenance (nuke aptasia, clean up sand, etc). With a nano this should be considerably easier!

I'm definitely trying to keep it as simple as possible. No calcium reactor (though I gotta say that was nice once it was tuned in and running), no sump (just the built in one), no horrifically oversized skimmer (the nano I'm looking at has one, but I will likely just use the Tunze 9002 I have kicking around), no ozone, etc.

Should be fun!

Tyler

Octoberfest
01/23/2009, 10:52 AM
You know over the years I've had a 120 gallon, 110 gallon, 75 gallon, and a 72 gallon. I currently have a 29 gallon bio cube with a sunpod metal halide fixture and it has been by far my favorite tank out of all of them. I did it for the same reason you're stating above, just less work to do. It does have its own challenges, like the fact that there is less water volume the chemistry can change much easier, but other than that I love it. Its much cheaper to add corals and other fish because you dont need a whole lot. Some may disagree but mine keeps me happy.

unda_da_see
01/23/2009, 10:53 AM
you could get a regular 20 gallon, or 20 longs are nice, power filter, nice t5 light and thats all you need. just do 5 gallon changes religously weekly with carbon filter change too and your good to go.

tgunn
01/23/2009, 11:25 PM
Doh! Checked out the tanks at the LFS. Nice little 20g nanos, but the problem is the tank is 21" wide. So I can't possibly squeeze a T5 fixture into the canopy. The wood canopy it comes with is also only about 1-2" off the surface of the water, so not much room in there anyways. I mean I could possibly modify to work with a halide but that'd be a lot of woodwork and I'm kinda looking for a turnkey kind of setup at this stage in the game. Just no time to be building a new canopy at this time.

The tanks the LFS has are really nice though; 20g nano with 14g usable space. The back part has a nice integrated sump with enough room for my Tunze 9002 skimmer, and even has an auto top off with freshwater reservoir.

I COULD go with a canopy-less setup and use a pendant 175w halide, but the problem that my 1 1/2 year old daughter has just discovered the concept of "hey, I can put stuff inside of containers", and I'd rather not have to worry about her either pulling the tank over by grabbing the rim, or throwing toys/errant pennies/food into the tank.

So a canopy is kinda a must.

Might just have to go for a RedSea or JBJ. We'll see.

Tyler

token
01/24/2009, 06:17 AM
Solana. melev's words, not mine. I admit I like the look but it was he who saw them at his LFS.

tgunn
01/24/2009, 07:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14229180#post14229180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Solana. melev's words, not mine. I admit I like the look but it was he who saw them at his LFS.

Again, LOVE the look of the Solana with a pendant HQI or what not but kinda limited to having a canopy.

Tyler

tgunn
01/24/2009, 11:43 AM
Hmm. My wife and I were talking; I think the Solana could work. I'd just need to work out a light mesh cover for it.

Now the only problem is finding someplace locally that sells it. Marine Depot wants $340-400 to ship it to Canada, where if I ship to the states its free.

Tyler

noblerot
01/24/2009, 01:36 PM
I did a lot of shopping around online for my solana. This was the best deal I found for the stand and tank together without the light. $389.00, not sure what the shipping would be to Canada though. Just a note, I did not end up ordering from them, because I decided to go with a different stand than the stock stand.

http://www.toofishy.com/reef_aquarium_supplies/Solana-Aquarium-System-Tank--Stand-p-91694.html

Do you happen to know what lighting fixture you are looking for I did a lot of shopping around for them as well.

tgunn
01/25/2009, 08:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14231432#post14231432 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by noblerot
I did a lot of shopping around online for my solana. This was the best deal I found for the stand and tank together without the light. $389.00, not sure what the shipping would be to Canada though. Just a note, I did not end up ordering from them, because I decided to go with a different stand than the stock stand.

http://www.toofishy.com/reef_aquarium_supplies/Solana-Aquarium-System-Tank--Stand-p-91694.html

Do you happen to know what lighting fixture you are looking for I did a lot of shopping around for them as well.

That does seem like a pretty good price; I'll have to contact them about shipping.

I am probably going to go for the HQI pendant. It looks really cool and would provide more than enough lighting for my SPS corals.

Tyler

melev
01/26/2009, 12:21 AM
Many Canadians drive down across the border to pick up their shipments. Is that even an option?

The Solano does have a glass cover, to keep the toys out of Nemo's home. ;)

You could also beat your kid. That's the other option.

tgunn
01/26/2009, 08:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14242940#post14242940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Many Canadians drive down across the border to pick up their shipments. Is that even an option?

The Solano does have a glass cover, to keep the toys out of Nemo's home. ;)

You could also beat your kid. That's the other option.

Yes, driving across the border is an option. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive to the Pembina border crossing. I'm waiting to hear back from Current-USA to see if there are any distributors locally.

I'll also have to see how big the boxes are for the setup; I drive a Jetta, which is not exactly a cargo van. :lol:

Ah, okay, a glass cover would work then. I was mainly worried about her finding a penny and putting that in the tank :)

:lol: Well, that would theoretically be an option I suppose, but not really the best one. :) Although I guess she is at the age (1 1/2) where we can finally start teaching her what she should NOT be doing).

Tyler

melev
01/26/2009, 01:17 PM
If driving to the U.S. saves you hundreds of dollars, I think it is worth crying out "Road Trip!" :D

The boxes may be rather large, although the stand was in a flat box. The ballast was in a small box, which I think was in the tank when I helped the LFS unpack it. The light was in its own box too. Considering that the tank is a nano though, I'd quite sure the entire thing could fit in your car's trunk and front seat.

Kids will find a way to slip a penny, a battery, small toys - you name it - into your tank because they want to be involved in what you are doing all the time. Truly you will have to have a hands off rule right from the start to avoid heartache.

Some people have put those divider gates around their tank just to keep the toddlers away. It looks like a plastic perimeter fence in their living room, but it keeps both kids and pets at a safer distance. It won't be pretty nor will it be fun, but it does work if you can't guard it yourself 24/7.

tgunn
01/26/2009, 04:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14246046#post14246046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
If driving to the U.S. saves you hundreds of dollars, I think it is worth crying out "Road Trip!" :D

The boxes may be rather large, although the stand was in a flat box. The ballast was in a small box, which I think was in the tank when I helped the LFS unpack it. The light was in its own box too. Considering that the tank is a nano though, I'd quite sure the entire thing could fit in your car's trunk and front seat.

Kids will find a way to slip a penny, a battery, small toys - you name it - into your tank because they want to be involved in what you are doing all the time. Truly you will have to have a hands off rule right from the start to avoid heartache.

Some people have put those divider gates around their tank just to keep the toddlers away. It looks like a plastic perimeter fence in their living room, but it keeps both kids and pets at a safer distance. It won't be pretty nor will it be fun, but it does work if you can't guard it yourself 24/7.

I found a distributor in Quebec, but he said no shipping companies in Canada are willing to ship and insure the tank (which begs the question of how he gets them in the first place). The only other source would be Big Al's Canada, but they don't actively stock the Solana products.

Okay, that is encouraging to know the size is manageable for a car. I have a feeling a road trip is going to be in order. :) Guess it means I can also stock up on some of the other products don't get here such as Cherry Coke Zero, Pringles made with olestra (mmm, fat free seepage chips) and Pretzel combos.

Yes, you are right. I think I'll just have to make sure to keep an eye on her around the tank and make sure to set the ground rules from the start. Though I definitely want to make sure she can still see what's going on in the tank -- from the start my 140g has been the source of many hours of entertainment for her.

I know the perimeter fences you're talking about; a friend of mine set them up in his living room to keep his little guy away from the TV and stereo equipment. Might be a good option for something like this.

Tyler

melev
01/26/2009, 11:50 PM
I think you really should make the drive. Get some Coke Zero while you're here. ;)

tgunn
01/27/2009, 06:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14251486#post14251486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I think you really should make the drive. Get some Coke Zero while you're here. ;)

:lol: Now my wife is all excited to go shopping; she wants to go all the way to Grand Forks now. Hey, whatever works I guess.

Tyler

tgunn
01/27/2009, 11:51 AM
FYI, the dimensions and weights for a Solana setup are:
Tank: 27"x27"x25", 80 lb.
Stand: 34"x26"x9", 65 lb.
HQI light: 30"x16"x15", 25 lb.

I found a border parcel pickup place that only charges $5 for each parcel regardless of size/weight.

Now I just need to measure the 'ol Jetta to see how this will fit.

Reefinabox
01/27/2009, 12:14 PM
I just managed to get a Solana and stand home from my LFS in my Passat with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in the car. The tank, which in a box roughly 23" x 23" x 23" went in the front seat and the stand went in the trunk. I don't know what year your Jetta is but I don't thin the tank will go in your front seat because my passat is quite a bit wider than my old Jetta (2002). The main space constraint was the width....it had to sit on my center console so the door would close.

I hope this info helps. I just wanted offer up what I know since I just transported one of these in my car. Good luck to you, it is a beautiful tank you won;t be disappointed!

melev
01/27/2009, 02:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14254314#post14254314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
FYI, the dimensions and weights for a Solana setup are:
Tank: 27"x27"x25", 80 lb.
Stand: 34"x26"x9", 65 lb.
HQI light: 30"x16"x15", 25 lb.

I found a border parcel pickup place that only charges $5 for each parcel regardless of size/weight.

Now I just need to measure the 'ol Jetta to see how this will fit.

Put it on the roof if you have to, right? :D

Reefinabox
01/27/2009, 02:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255415#post14255415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

I would if I were him! Melev, I have to thank you for recommending the Solana somewhere around here. It got me to hunt one down at a LFS and take a look. I bought it immediately (they gave me a pretty killer deal0 and I took back the BC 29 I hadn't set up yet. Much better looking and put together system if you asked me!

tgunn
01/27/2009, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14254519#post14254519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
I just managed to get a Solana and stand home from my LFS in my Passat with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in the car. The tank, which in a box roughly 23" x 23" x 23" went in the front seat and the stand went in the trunk. I don't know what year your Jetta is but I don't thin the tank will go in your front seat because my passat is quite a bit wider than my old Jetta (2002). The main space constraint was the width....it had to sit on my center console so the door would close.

I hope this info helps. I just wanted offer up what I know since I just transported one of these in my car. Good luck to you, it is a beautiful tank you won;t be disappointed!

I've got a 2001 Jetta, so definitely not so wife.

Worse case I can always take the Olds Alero we have, but I'd prefer no to drive that beast if at all possible. :)

Absolute worse case I can borrow a minivan from a family member.

Thanks for the input though! :) As long as I can get the box into the door of the car I should be fine. I've always been amazed at the amount of stuff I can pack into this car! :)

Thanks,
Tyler

Reefinabox
01/27/2009, 02:21 PM
Borrow the minivan!! That way you can all go and everyone will be comfortable!!

Funny story.....when I picked mine up my wife waited inside while the guys helped me load up. When I told them to put the tank in the front seat the guy looked at me and said "Where is the wife going to sit?" LOL

tgunn
01/27/2009, 02:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255415#post14255415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

Haha, yeah and knowing my luck a passing car would kick up a chunk of ice that demolishes the tank.

I would if I were him! Melev, I have to thank you for recommending the Solana somewhere around here. It got me to hunt one down at a LFS and take a look. I bought it immediately (they gave me a pretty killer deal0 and I took back the BC 29 I hadn't set up yet. Much better looking and put together system if you asked me!

I started pricing out a tank at the LFS; a 20g nano:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/22713-2/Photo_012309_002.jpg
Its a nice enough setup, but the BIG problem is that there is NO room for lighting in the canopy. Width wise the 18" T5s by current-usa would fit, but the water would be probably 1/2" from the lights. Halides wouldn't work with that lid either; I'd have to build a new canopy or use a pendant.

That and the tank / stand together costs $500. For that I'd not want to be building a new canopy or trying to find an appropriate pendant.

So far I'm liking what I see about the Solana.

Tyler

hebygb
01/27/2009, 02:30 PM
I have a 150 w MH pendant hanging over my nano and love the growth. There is something to be said about having a hood and concealing the waterline, but check out the solana fixtures as well.

tgunn
01/27/2009, 02:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255542#post14255542 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Borrow the minivan!! That way you can all go and everyone will be comfortable!!

Funny story.....when I picked mine up my wife waited inside while the guys helped me load up. When I told them to put the tank in the front seat the guy looked at me and said "Where is the wife going to sit?" LOL

I was thinking providing I can get the tank in the back and trunk that my wife and I would go alone and leave our daughter to visit Grandma (which would be plenty more fun). :)

Tyler

tgunn
01/27/2009, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255626#post14255626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hebygb
I have a 150 w MH pendant hanging over my nano and love the growth. There is something to be said about having a hood and concealing the waterline, but check out the solana fixtures as well.

My wife loves the look of the pendant, so I think makes it an easy sell for both of us. :)

How long do you run the MH over your tank? I've never used just MH for lighting before. Always had T5s for supplement.

Tyler

WinnipegDragon
01/27/2009, 02:42 PM
Something to consider, Tyler.

Check out ReefConcept.com if you haven't already. I know they carry all the Current USA stuff at a better price than Big Al's. Then, call up Big Al's ask for the price match +5% deal. Big Al's also does free shipping.

I did this ordering my Sundial, and got it at $237CDN which is better than anything else I could get in Canada, and better than some US prices.

Here is the Solana link at Reef Concept: http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1047

tgunn
01/27/2009, 02:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255734#post14255734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Something to consider, Tyler.

Check out ReefConcept.com if you haven't already. I know they carry all the Current USA stuff at a better price than Big Al's. Then, call up Big Al's ask for the price match +5% deal. Big Al's also does free shipping.

I did this ordering my Sundial, and got it at $237CDN which is better than anything else I could get in Canada, and better than some US prices.

Here is the Solana link at Reef Concept: http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1047

Thanks for the idea... :)

I had called Reef Concept about the Solana tank and unfortunately the store owner said he is not able to ship to Winnipeg . Apparently no shipping companies will touch the shipping of the tank so he'd have to get a freight company to do it and that'd be around $300-350 for the tank alone.

I also called Big Al's online, who according to Current-USA carries their products. Big Al's apparently only stocks the tank in stores and not via their online presence. The sell the pendant online, but that is it. So I'm out of luck again there unless I want to drive to Calgary to pick up the tank. :)

:rolleyes: Ah the joys of living in Winnipeg.

Thanks,
Tyler

WinnipegDragon
01/27/2009, 08:10 PM
The funny thing is that Big Al's never verified shipping. Reef Concept also would not ship me the Sundial, but I didn't tell Big Al's that ;)

You could have Andy, Ewing or Jason make you a Nano of the right size and just go with a sump?

semperfimarine1
01/27/2009, 08:12 PM
good luck with the setup!

tgunn
01/27/2009, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14258426#post14258426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
The funny thing is that Big Al's never verified shipping. Reef Concept also would not ship me the Sundial, but I didn't tell Big Al's that ;)

You could have Andy, Ewing or Jason make you a Nano of the right size and just go with a sump?

I don't understand why Reef Concept lists things on their online store if they won't ship them. :)

Yes, I could have a tank built, but I really am looking for a slick all in one solution I can use right out of the box. Busy busy! :)

Thanks,
Tyler

WinnipegDragon
01/27/2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with my 20g Nano that is in progress, but I had a specific size requirement, specifically shallow and wide. Ewing came through with a nice looking little tank!

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/0/8/82765/leaktest-1.jpg

tgunn
01/28/2009, 08:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14259302#post14259302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with my 20g Nano that is in progress, but I had a specific size requirement, specifically shallow and wide. Ewing came through with a nice looking little tank!

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/0/8/82765/leaktest-1.jpg

The wide and shallow format is very neat. You can get away with less light and still have a pretty good footprint to put things in.

My biggest thing is I just don't have time to build a stand, canopy, plumb things up, etc. Thats not to say I wouldn't like to have the time of course. :)

Thanks,
Tyler

tgunn
02/02/2009, 04:07 PM
Nothing much to report.
I was all ready to go and order the Solana setup because I found a buyer for my 140g tank. Buying the Solana is contingent on offloading my 140g. Well, the guy appears to have backed out. So Solana for me.

On a side note, what does everyone think is a reasonable price for a 140g tank with canopy, powder coat stainless stand, a 4 T5 setup, starphire front on the tank, starboard piece precut for going "bare bottom"? Tank is 48wx28dx24t.

I do have a bunch of live rock sitting in a bucket of bleach to sterilize it completely. No bubble algae or aptasia will come over to the Nano!

Tyler

melev
02/02/2009, 04:40 PM
I would hope to get 50% of the new price I paid.

tgunn
02/03/2009, 06:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14302646#post14302646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I would hope to get 50% of the new price I paid.

That sounds about right.

Part of the problem is that "starphire front", and "powder coated steel stand" is completely lost on most of the aquarists in my area. There are not a lot of high end tanks to be had here.

Tyler

melev
02/03/2009, 02:59 PM
Doesn't matter. You just stick to your price, and explain the added value to would-be buyers. The right person will understand and purchase it, just like you did.

tgunn
02/04/2009, 06:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14309891#post14309891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Doesn't matter. You just stick to your price, and explain the added value to would-be buyers. The right person will understand and purchase it, just like you did.

The guy who did come down seemed impressed with the features of the tank, but it turns out someone posted a 180g with more "goodies" for less on the local buy and sell a few days later. I suspect that must be what happened to him. :) Of course that tank didn't have the nice steel stand and starphire front. :)

Tyler

Electrobes
02/04/2009, 07:19 AM
I agree with Marc on 50% more or less of the original price, and then sticking to it. Someone will pick it up as that really is a great price for your set up.

tgunn
02/04/2009, 09:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14314887#post14314887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Electrobes
I agree with Marc on 50% more or less of the original price, and then sticking to it. Someone will pick it up as that really is a great price for your set up.

Yeah, that was my thought. I am not willing to just give away the tank. If it turns out nobody wants to pay a reasonable price I'll just move it to the basement and leave it there for now.

I'm thinking of picking up a set of suction lifters so that moving the tank is less of an issue for a potential buyer. It's also something I've been wanting to have on hand for myself as well.

Tyler

tgunn
02/07/2009, 07:39 PM
Well, here's my current setup until I can get the nano tank bought and up and running.

My 100g sump from my old setup is still running, with a 250w radium 20k bulb as the main source of light. There's a bunch of liverock, a single damsel that managed to elude capture, and a small assortment of frags from the old system:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23580-2/IMG_4267.JPG

Some kinda acro that was mega-brown in my old 140g setup:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23585-2/IMG_4269.JPG

A bali aquaculture acro I got a long while ago that looked like crap in my 140g setup is coloring up amazingly:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23593-2/IMG_4268.JPG

On the left is the bali acro, the middle is the "mystery-previously-brown", then there's a tiny piece of tricolor acro with AMAZING polyp extension in the sump, and on the right some of my digitata:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23589-2/IMG_4270.JPG

Finally, an assortment of live rock that I bleached, rinsed, bleached, and then rinsed again; thoroughly dead, thoroughly free of bubble algae and aptasia:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23597-2/IMG_4271.JPG

Since the tank isn't moving I need to decide if I just want to go ahead with buying the nano tank -- perhaps I can justify it as doing my part to help economic recovery in North America! :)

Tyler

melev
02/08/2009, 02:12 AM
Explain to us how the dead rock and the power supply go together. ;)

tgunn
02/08/2009, 07:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14345642#post14345642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Explain to us how the dead rock and the power supply go together. ;)

:) That table became a dumping ground in the basement for all things from the old 140g setup. Off frame to the right is the big Sequence pump that was my return pump. :)

The power supply was my initial (overkill) solution to running some LED moon lights.

Tyler

tgunn
02/10/2009, 08:52 PM
I've been playing around with my now dried clean rocks and trying to come up with rock scaping ideas.
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23611-2/IMG_4276.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23619-2/IMG_4274.JPG

Clearly the screwdrivers and PVC pieces will not be there. I plan on using acrylic rods to join things together. I imagine I might need to have an acrylic base to make sure its stable.

Tyler

WinnipegDragon
02/11/2009, 10:03 AM
Sorry you are having trouble moving your 140g Tyler. I'd be interested, but I have my 120g that I still need to start.

Can I ask where you got your starboard? I'm going BB on the 120g. In fact, are you parting it out? I could trim down your starboard to fit if you were willing to sell.

tgunn
02/11/2009, 10:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14369851#post14369851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Sorry you are having trouble moving your 140g Tyler. I'd be interested, but I have my 120g that I still need to start.

Can I ask where you got your starboard? I'm going BB on the 120g. In fact, are you parting it out? I could trim down your starboard to fit if you were willing to sell.

Yeah, I'd really like to get it moving but hey what can you do. Worst case it'll sit in the basement I guess.

I got my starboard from Johnston Industrial Plastics (http://www.johnstonplastics.com/con_winnipeg.htm). It's not called "Starboard" there. Ask for HDPE (High density polyethylene), 1/2". Just tell them the dimensions you want and you're set. I paid around $50 for my piece. They also sell acrylic rods (great for joining rocks) and all that good stuff too if you ever need it.

I'd sell you mine but I installed it before I put the eurobracing on the tank, so I can't remove it without cutting off the braces. :)

A word of warning with the HDPE, it FLOATS. To help keep mine down I sanded the back of the HDPE to make it a bit rough. Then I used a good amount of silicone to "glue" it down to the bottom. I also used silicone around the edges of the board to make a small lip that holds down the HDPE. The silicone does not stick to HDPE very well at all.

Best make sure to have something weighing it down when you put in the water.

Tyler

WinnipegDragon
02/11/2009, 10:21 AM
lol, thanks for the tip.

I was thinking about sealing it down with silicone anyhow, since I don't want detritus buildup around any gaps. I have a centre brace and two megaflow overflows to cut around as well.

Going to take some precision work with my tablesaw and dremel I think!

tgunn
02/11/2009, 10:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14369970#post14369970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
lol, thanks for the tip.

I was thinking about sealing it down with silicone anyhow, since I don't want detritus buildup around any gaps. I have a centre brace and two megaflow overflows to cut around as well.

Going to take some precision work with my tablesaw and dremel I think!

You should be able to get it in as two pieces. The HDPE cuts VERY easily. I did the big cuts with a circular saw. The cutout for the overflow I used a jigsaw, though a handsaw would've worked just as well. I think a dremel might just melt it; its REALLY soft.

Yes, definitely seal the gaps with silicone. I can't count the number of stupid cerinth snails that got stuck in there when it was unsealed (had to drain tank for a leak and reglued the HDPE at that time).

Tyler

WinnipegDragon
02/11/2009, 12:40 PM
Will do.

Thanks, Tyler.

melev
02/11/2009, 01:56 PM
The HDPE is very bouyant, so if you silicone it in, be sure to weigh it down with something heavy before adding water to the tank, or it will pull right out. You can wipe down some new bags of sand and lay them in the tank, or use some PVC pipe filled with sand and capped on each end as reef-safe weights. Once the water is in, cut open the bags, or add more sand before removing those weights.

tgunn
02/16/2009, 04:22 PM
Well, I was toying with the idea of getting the Solana with an Aquamedic pendent instead of the HQI disco ball. However, Marine Depot doesn't sell the tank and stand without a light. So I think in the end I'll go with the disco ball light and be done with it. Now I just need to actually get around to ordering this thing! I am thinking I'll order it tomorrow.

In the mean time my bleached rock is now soaking in saltwater in a bucket. I think I overdid it was the bleach; I could still smell the bleach when I put the rock back in saltwater. So I tested with my Hach free and total chlorine test kit and sure enough there was chlorine present in the water. So I changed out the saltwater and have a mag pump circulating water in the bucket now. We'll see if that clears out the chlorine. Once I'm relatively sure the chlorine is gone I'll throw something into the water to get the rock cycling.

Tyler

tgunn
02/18/2009, 08:53 AM
Hmm, well, I was about to order myself a Solana 34g but ended up backing out. At $800 USD, that's over $1100 CDN when you take into account exchange, and the lovely canadian sales taxes we pay for bringing stuff over the border. Factor in another $100 for parcel pickup services and gas to go pick it all up and, well its just not going to happen considering my 140g tank, 100g sump, huge skimmer and calcium reactor are NOT selling.

Still trying to figure out if there will be a "plan B".

For now the 100g sump is still running with my single damsel, and a variety of frags growing under a 250w Radium halide. Looking good so far! I'm getting some really nice deep coloration in the deepwater acro I've got.

Tyler

token
02/18/2009, 12:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14422775#post14422775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
For now the 100g sump is still running with my single damsel, and a variety of frags growing under a 250w Radium halide. Looking good so far! I'm getting some really nice deep coloration in the deepwater acro I've got.

Tyler Well, maybe that is the answer! ;)

tgunn
02/18/2009, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14424503#post14424503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Well, maybe that is the answer! ;)

Hey, I'm considering it. I kinda want SOMETHING to tinker with for now... And I kinda was hoping it would look nice too (ie 6 foot sump on 2x4 stand is not "furniture grade". Lol.

Tyler

token
02/18/2009, 01:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14424526#post14424526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
...(ie 6 foot sump on 2x4 stand is not "furniture grade". Lol.

Tyler Some would argue that anything with coral living inside is furniture grade but I know what you mean.

A way will come along to get that Solana at a price that is reasonable. Good luck!

tgunn
02/18/2009, 01:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14424587#post14424587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Some would argue that anything with coral living inside is furniture grade but I know what you mean.

A way will come along to get that Solana at a price that is reasonable. Good luck!

I may consider anything with coral living inside furniture, but I don't know if my wife would. :)

I did find an aquapod 24g HQI for a much more reasonable price available within Canada; that might be an option too. We'll see. I am convinced I must set SOMETHING up.

Tyler

tgunn
02/18/2009, 04:28 PM
Well, I FINALLY did it. I've ordered an Aquapod 24g with stand and a 150w HQI lighting system.

I found a place in Quebec that will ship to me for a reasonable price. Bummer; they stock Solanas but won't ship them.

This should at least give me SOMETHING to keep me busy for the next year or so until I'm done my Masters degree.

Now I just need to get some buddies over to help me haul the 140g into the basement.

Whee!

Tyler

tgunn
02/18/2009, 07:33 PM
:eek1: :eek: So I went to feed the electric blue damsel in the sump tonight and to my shock and surprise the purple dottyback that went missing when I emptied the 140g tank showed up!!!!!

Wow, I can't believe he was hiding in there for a month without me seeing him!

Well, looks like I now have two fish for my new Aquapod thats on the way!

:beer: :dance:

Tyler

tgunn
02/19/2009, 08:27 PM
Well, until the Aquapod gets here and it all cycled the sump seems to be a pretty reasonable place for my little frags and 2 fish.

Here's some of my frags, coloring up nicely:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23623-2/IMG_4282.JPG

This frag on the right is not coloring up as nice, but it's getting there. Considering it was dark brown in the 140g tank...
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23627-2/IMG_4283.JPG

This tricolor is showing some nice colors and AMAZING polyp extension:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23631-2/IMG_4284.JPG

The "bali aquaculture acro" is looking great. I love how the left frag is swirled with green and deep brown. I ultimately hope the brown goes away but it looks cool in the mean time:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23643-2/IMG_4287.JPG

Now THIS is cool; I had stamaccora in the 140g; it mostly died off when I lost the big tricolor I had on the same rock. A little tiny chunk was left on a rock and I had chucked it in the sump. I didn't think it would ever do anything. Well, it browned out after sitting under the 6500k sump lighting, but now that its getting proper halide lighting its starting to color up again. This would be an amazing 'turnaround coral' if it comes back:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23647-2/IMG_4288.JPG

Bad pic, but this ric is looking nice:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23656-2/IMG_4292.JPG

The purple cap piece I have left is looking primo; I LOVE the blue polyps:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23651-2/IMG_4289.JPG

The Tunze 9002 is outskimming my old massive Octo skimmer. :)
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23660-2/IMG_4293.JPG

There are lots of cool little spots of life in the sump:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23664-2/IMG_4294.JPG

tgunn
02/19/2009, 08:28 PM
Finally, some discolored digi that was in the back of the 140g. It'll come back and color up too.

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23669-2/IMG_4290.JPG

Overall I'm feeling good; I managed to save a number of nice specimens, and they're all doing amazing now that they're in the sump with low nutrients.

The funniest thing is, there is a LOT less light in the sump than I had over the 140g and everything is doing amazing. So I think I may have been overlighting my 140g.

tgunn
02/26/2009, 08:50 AM
I called the place I ordered the Aquapod 24g setup from. It should arrive in their store next week, and then it will be shipped out to me. So I'm guessing another 2 weeks to get to me.

I've been thinking of what I should do for flow in the Aquapod. Does anyone think a Maxijet 1200 with the Sureflow mod would be horribly overkill?

I've got 2 maxijet 400s and a maxijet 1200 kicking around, along with 2 sureflow mods. Not sure if perhaps I should just et a Koralia 1 instead.

Thanks,
Tyler

token
02/26/2009, 10:20 AM
You can always try and see what happens.

My guess is that the Maxi-mod, which I have, is a tighter flow than the Koralia. I have the K4's, which are rated almost the same as the mod'd Maxi's, and I would feel more comfortable with the K4's rather than the Maxi-mods.

FWIW, on my 18g nano, which was tall, a pair of K2's was just about perfect. My return from the sump was down the back and up from the bottom, so I had a lot of movement but it was really gentle and variable.

Maybe the 900's, mod'd, would be the answer. I am pretty certain the kit you have fits the 900 as well as the 1200.

tgunn
02/26/2009, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14487606#post14487606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
You can always try and see what happens.

My guess is that the Maxi-mod, which I have, is a tighter flow than the Koralia. I have the K4's, which are rated almost the same as the mod'd Maxi's, and I would feel more comfortable with the K4's rather than the Maxi-mods.

FWIW, on my 18g nano, which was tall, a pair of K2's was just about perfect. My return from the sump was down the back and up from the bottom, so I had a lot of movement but it was really gentle and variable.

Maybe the 900's, mod'd, would be the answer. I am pretty certain the kit you have fits the 900 as well as the 1200.

In my sump which is 16" across the maximod is definitely somewhat concentrated. I have a feeling I'll need something with a lot more dispersed flow for a 24g.

I'll have to see how the maxijet 400 works; I have one running the mod kit right now in a bucket of water. It might be gentle enough. The only downfall with the maxijet 400 running the mods is that it doesn't start up properly after a power failure; it just chatters away.

Guess I'll see once the nano gets here.

Good idea on having the return come up around the bottom of the tank; it's not like I have to worry about the sump overflowing if the power fails. :)

Tyler

token
02/26/2009, 10:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14487669#post14487669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
Good idea on having the return come up around the bottom of the tank; it's not like I have to worry about the sump overflowing if the power fails. I didn't describe that well.

My returns could have drained my tank to within 3" of the bottom. I drilled 3 holes in the return pipe -just- below the level of my drains. I got a squirt of water when refilling but the only thing that would have prevented a catastrophe was constant inspection of those anti-siphon holes.

That's the flaw with returning water near the bottom of the tank. The benefit of better and more varied flow is worthless if one can even anticipate a period of inattention on the horizon. (A trip, for instance. I don't know that I could have explained the need to inspect those holes to someone watching my tanks.....)

token
02/26/2009, 10:54 AM
Dang, again, my bad.

You won't have a sump. A quick return mod and you would be good. Use the rockwork to hide the return, too, as it diverts the water more randomly.

tgunn
02/26/2009, 11:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14487826#post14487826 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
I didn't describe that well.

My returns could have drained my tank to within 3" of the bottom. I drilled 3 holes in the return pipe -just- below the level of my drains. I got a squirt of water when refilling but the only thing that would have prevented a catastrophe was constant inspection of those anti-siphon holes.

That's the flaw with returning water near the bottom of the tank. The benefit of better and more varied flow is worthless if one can even anticipate a period of inattention on the horizon. (A trip, for instance. I don't know that I could have explained the need to inspect those holes to someone watching my tanks.....)

Dang, again, my bad.

You won't have a sump. A quick return mod and you would be good. Use the rockwork to hide the return, too, as it diverts the water more randomly.

And then there's the time when 3 snails crawl over the holes and the power fails. :) I know what you mean; failsafes CAN fail. I discovered that when bubble algae grew around the rim of the "emergency drain" on my 140g, thus raising the height of the emergency drain enough that when the main drain plugged with bubble algae the tank overflowed. :)

Yup, I'm using the aquapod stock so I can route the return water down low if I want to without worries since it'll just equalize the water level between the tank and the back compartment if the power fails. My return "pump" will be on a UPS though but hey best safe rather than sorry.

Tylre

tgunn
02/27/2009, 01:13 PM
Gotta love the way prices work. So I was looking at the Suregrip magnet dealy to go with my Sureflow Maxijet mod, thinking I would use one on my nano when it gets here.

Well, the suregrip is $31. Oh, that's EXACTLY the same price as a Koralia 1. I think the Koralia 1 would be the best option. Lol.

Tyler

tgunn
03/01/2009, 01:55 PM
So my bleached rock has been sitting in saltwater for a couple weeks now. I had tossed some fish food in there to start a cycle. Well, I think theres a LOT more of stuff that was living within the rocks that is dead and fueling the cycle. I just tested right now and although I have 0 ammonia, nitrites INSTANTLY read > 4ppm on my salifert kit (ie the maximum range and without waiting 3 minutes), and nitrates read > 25ppm INSTANTLY on my Elos kit (ie again without waiting 5 minutes to process).

Clearly the rock IS cycling, it just seems I'm almost going to end up "cooking" the rock in the end to get the stuff thats deep in the rocks out. I am still glad I did bleach the rock because now I can be very certain that it has no bubble algae or aptasia, but I think it'll still take a while to get it really cleaned out enough that I would be willing to use it with my nano.

However thats okay since the nano still needs to get to the store I ordered it from. It should be there this week, and then it will ship to me which will take 6-10 days.

Tyler

tgunn
03/04/2009, 07:35 PM
Yay! I just sold my 140g tank, with the stand, canopy and T5s. This is a good thing! :)

Reefinabox
03/04/2009, 08:57 PM
Awesome!! I wish I could get rid of my 75.

tgunn
03/04/2009, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14538101#post14538101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Awesome!! I wish I could get rid of my 75.

I'm amazed I got it sold; the market for used tanks is horrible here.

KEep waiting, I'm sure you'll find someone to buy it.

Tyler

tgunn
03/06/2009, 11:44 AM
So I called about my Aquapod thats on back order. Apparently the manufacturer is severely backordered and there are none available for at least a couple of weeks.

They're going to call me back though because apparently they have JBJ nanocubes now. At this rate I may have a nano by summer time! :)

Tyler

Reefinabox
03/06/2009, 11:47 AM
Now that you sold the 140, cancel and drive across the border to pick up the Solana! You won't regret it!!

tgunn
03/06/2009, 12:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14549732#post14549732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Now that you sold the 140, cancel and drive across the border to pick up the Solana! You won't regret it!!

I am SO tempted to do that, you have NO idea. :)

Tyler

tgunn
03/07/2009, 10:37 AM
I'm waiting to hear back from the place I ordered the new heavily back ordered aquapod from; I'm going to cancel that order and just order the Solana 34g from Marine Depot and pick it up at the border.

Tyler

Reefinabox
03/07/2009, 06:25 PM
Smart move!! LOL

tgunn
03/07/2009, 07:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14559300#post14559300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Smart move!! LOL

:) Yeah, I think so too.

Tyler

melev
03/07/2009, 09:51 PM
:thumbsup:

tgunn
03/08/2009, 01:28 PM
Hmm, my bleached rock has been curing for a good while now and I'm STILL getting a nitrite and nitrate spike off the scales.... No ammonia though, which is good.

I think the bleach definitely did its job, but there seems to be a LOAD of stuff that is dead and rotting deep inside the rocks that is causing this huge spike.

Yay for killing off the biodiversity!

I wonder if I shouldn't just pick up a box of the caribsea base rock for my nano.

Tyler

melev
03/08/2009, 02:20 PM
Or perhaps some nice clean LR?

PBITAWA. :D

tgunn
03/08/2009, 03:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14564576#post14564576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Or perhaps some nice clean LR?

PBITAWA. :D

That's an oxymoron where I am. "Nice clean LR" here equates to "valonia and aptasia infested caribsea base rock the LFS dumps into his tanks and sells for 10x the cost". :)

Yup, nothing like a little bleach to clean things up! :) Lol. Bah, I should've just cooked this rock. Oh well, that's life.

Tyler

tgunn
03/09/2009, 12:04 PM
The Solana 34g, with black stand, and 150w HQI is now on order from Marine Depot. I also picked up a couple koralia 1 powerheads for it.

Now I just have to wait for my paypal payment to go through since I made a mistake and accidentally paid in Canadian $. :) Whooops. :)

Tyler

WinnipegDragon
03/09/2009, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14565063#post14565063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
That's an oxymoron where I am. "Nice clean LR" here equates to "valonia and aptasia infested caribsea base rock the LFS dumps into his tanks and sells for 10x the cost". :)

Yup, nothing like a little bleach to clean things up! :) Lol. Bah, I should've just cooked this rock. Oh well, that's life.

Tyler

Yeah the LR here can be a bit sketchy.

J&L has nice rock if you want to pay to ship.

Reefinabox
03/09/2009, 01:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14570878#post14570878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
The Solana 34g, with black stand, and 150w HQI is now on order from Marine Depot. I also picked up a couple koralia 1 powerheads for it.

Now I just have to wait for my paypal payment to go through since I made a mistake and accidentally paid in Canadian $. :) Whooops. :)

Tyler

Finally!! LOL I personally think you will be much happier this way.

tgunn
03/09/2009, 04:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14571663#post14571663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Finally!! LOL I personally think you will be much happier this way.

:lol: yeah, I should've just ordered the Solana from the start. I am REALLY looking forward to it. I should be able to pick it up at the border this weekend if all goes well. Yay!

Tyler

tgunn
03/10/2009, 07:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14571213#post14571213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Yeah the LR here can be a bit sketchy.

J&L has nice rock if you want to pay to ship.

I should check into their rock I guess. I was really hoping to reuse what I have, but we'll see I guess.

Tyler

tgunn
03/11/2009, 05:26 PM
According to the Marine Depot website, my Koralias just arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah.
IN TRANSIT 03/11/2009 15:29:00 SALT LAKE CITY, UT US ARRIVAL SCAN

So they're now almost 1/2 way complete their journey!

No word on the Solana; hopefully it'll make it to the border around the same time so I can make a trip down this weekend to pick up.

tgunn
03/13/2009, 08:24 AM
Hmm, my bleached rock for the nano is STILL pumping out the nitrites faster than the bacteria can process it into nitrates. Upon dumping the reagent into the sample it almost instantly turns pink, without the 3 minute wait.

This is a much more intense cycle than I thought I'd get.

I'm almost wondering if i shouldn't just order a box of caribsea base rock and use that. Start fresh.

I priced out some "real" live rock online and the shipping is a killer. No thanks.

Tyler

tgunn
03/15/2009, 04:43 PM
Wow, I can sure see why we use an surface skimming overflow to feed our sumps/skimmers. I've been having a hard time keeping the surface of the sump setup stirred up enough to prevent it from skinning over with proteins. I just swapped out my maxijet mod powerhead for one of my Tunze 6101s; that should hopefully keep things in suspension a bit better so the skimmer can pull it out.

Well I expect the Koralias to be at the border tomorrow; that's their official delivery date. I have no idea about the Solana since MD never did give me a tracking number, perhaps I'll have to call them on that.

Tyler

tgunn
03/16/2009, 12:05 PM
Well I called Marine Depot to track down my Solana and was given a Purchase Order # for Current-USA. I tried calling Current-USA to speak to someone about getting a tracking number for my order, but alas they have one of those really annoying menued phone systems that makes it impossible to actually talk to a human being.

So I emailed them to see if I can get a status on my order so I can try to plan when I'll be picking everything up at the border. Pembina, ND is a tiny little border town and apparently they're expecting flooding this spring. I certainly would like to be able to pick up my order in a timely manner given this. <grrrrrr>

tgunn
03/16/2009, 07:13 PM
Bah, so much for good timing on the shipping. My Koralias will arrive at the border tomorrow, and the Solana JUST shipped today. Sheesh, I'll be ready to move by the time this thing gets here!

tgunn
03/19/2009, 09:44 AM
Well, it turns out the Solana is moving quickly. It just departed the shipping depot in Minneapolis, on its way to Fargo, ND. The shipping company expects final delivery to Pembina, ND tomorrow.

So that means probably Sunday I'll end up picking up the Solana.

Not much else to report :)

kmu
03/19/2009, 12:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14600969#post14600969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
I'm almost wondering if i shouldn't just order a box of caribsea base rock and use that. Start fresh.

I priced out some "real" live rock online and the shipping is a killer. No thanks.

Tyler

caribsea sells base rock? where can I find info on it?

kmu
03/19/2009, 12:41 PM
just found info on them on marinedepot

tgunn
03/20/2009, 02:38 PM
Well, the tank is supposed to be delivered at teh border today, but it still tracks as in route to North Dakota. What horrible shipping service! It's not hard to give a delivery date. OH well, guess that means I wont be getting it this weekend.

In other news, my rock is almost cycled. Nitrites at probably 0.1ppm, and nitrates are 1ppm. So I think the cycle should be about done in a few more days.

Tyler

tgunn
03/20/2009, 10:10 PM
WEll, a solana is now in the building! :) Got it tonight.

Reefinabox
03/20/2009, 11:39 PM
WOOOHOOO!!! I bet it feels good to finally have it!

tgunn
03/21/2009, 04:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14657779#post14657779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
WOOOHOOO!!! I bet it feels good to finally have it!

It does! I'm quite impressed with how it was packaged too. Almost everything is double boxed with little foam shock absorbers between the packages.

I already fired up the disco-ball pendant. That'll give plenty of light for the tank. So far I'm liking the super blue tint of the 14k HQI bulb.

Now I just need to find the time to put it all together. Lol.

Tyler

tgunn
03/21/2009, 04:23 PM
So I was installing one of the hinges on the Solana stand, and the head snapped off one:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23770-1/IMG_4327_001.JPG

So I tried again, and the head snapped off another. It's the two rightmost hinge holes.

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23759-2/IMG_4330.JPG

Here's the head of a screw:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23768-2/IMG_4332.JPG

I'm going to have to rethink the hinges to see if I can perhaps mount them using heavier duty screws. I'm afraid to try again with these.

Tyler

Reefinabox
03/21/2009, 08:18 PM
I know it would be a chore but you might try contacting Current. Someone else had a similar issue with their stand and they sent them a whole new stand.

tgunn
03/21/2009, 09:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14662685#post14662685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
I know it would be a chore but you might try contacting Current. Someone else had a similar issue with their stand and they sent them a whole new stand.

I fired off an email to them; we'll see what they have to say/offer. I could probably get the hinge mounted if I drilled new holes slightly down and used better screws. But I really shouldn't have to do that given what these things cost.

If they're to send a replacement stand I'll certainly expect them to ship it DIRECT to me, rather than me having to get it from a depot over the border.

Thanks,
Tyler

melev
03/22/2009, 01:24 AM
Those screws are junk. Just get better ones. If you own vice-grips, clamp down on the old screws and carefully unscrew them back out of the wood.

I had the same thing happen with I put together the stand for the Solana at the LFS by my house. I was helping out just for fun, and felt badly when the screw head broke off. Since I used to do trim carpentry, I immediately knew it was cheap screws and we used some others instead. Unfortunately, some stuff that is imported comes with some ridiculously soft metal. :rolleyes:

tgunn
03/22/2009, 07:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14664141#post14664141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Those screws are junk. Just get better ones. If you own vice-grips, clamp down on the old screws and carefully unscrew them back out of the wood.

I had the same thing happen with I put together the stand for the Solana at the LFS by my house. I was helping out just for fun, and felt badly when the screw head broke off. Since I used to do trim carpentry, I immediately knew it was cheap screws and we used some others instead. Unfortunately, some stuff that is imported comes with some ridiculously soft metal. :rolleyes:

The downfall is that they broke off beneath the surface of the wood. I will have to see if I can get a grip on them with some needle-nose pliers first or something. I know I don't want to wait for a new stand to be shipped; that's for sure.

Would you say to use the same "thickness" (can't tell I know ZIP about trim carpentry can you?) screws or get a heavier one?

Thanks,
Tyler

melev
03/22/2009, 11:16 AM
There is a way to extract them with a tool, but it is hardly worth the effort until you are just OCD about 'em. You would drill the core out of each screw, then using the extractor tool, carefully thread it into the broken half until it bites into the metal. Keep unscrewing that extractor and it will unscrew it right out.

Moving it down 1/8" is probably easier, and any similarly sized screw from Home Depot will suffice.

tgunn
03/22/2009, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14665851#post14665851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
There is a way to extract them with a tool, but it is hardly worth the effort until you are just OCD about 'em. You would drill the core out of each screw, then using the extractor tool, carefully thread it into the broken half until it bites into the metal. Keep unscrewing that extractor and it will unscrew it right out.

Moving it down 1/8" is probably easier, and any similarly sized screw from Home Depot will suffice.

Hmm, yeah the screw extractors I have aren't good for that small of screws. I think I'll just drill new holes for new screws a little lower as you suggest. Do you think a similar sized screw will have the breaking problem? I'm guessing its just the soft metal thats the issue?

Thanks!
Tyler

melev
03/22/2009, 11:41 AM
What you have on hand are cast aluminum screws; essentially pot metal. The hinges are purchased in bulk, coming with the cheapest screws available (probably from China). I can just look at a screw, feel if it is light, and know if it is one of those evil screws.

Home Depot screws tend to be fine. If you want to predrill the hole with a smaller bit, that helps them go in more easily exactly where they should.

tgunn
03/22/2009, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14665986#post14665986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
What you have on hand are cast aluminum screws; essentially pot metal. The hinges are purchased in bulk, coming with the cheapest screws available (probably from China). I can just look at a screw, feel if it is light, and know if it is one of those evil screws.

Home Depot screws tend to be fine. If you want to predrill the hole with a smaller bit, that helps them go in more easily exactly where they should.

Hmm, that would explain why they broke so easily. :lol: Normally I can't even open jars with my arthritic hands. :lol: And here I thought I was "strong man" today.

Okay, I'll make a trip to home depot and pick up some new screws and an appropriate little wee drill bit for the pilot holes.

THanks,
Tyler

melev
03/22/2009, 11:47 AM
I actually LOL'd at that strong man reference. Grab your wife and impress her with your incredible feats of strength! :D

Reefinabox
03/22/2009, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14666028#post14666028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I actually LOL'd at that strong man reference. Grab your wife and impress her with your incredible feats of strength! :D

FESTIVUS!!!

tgunn
03/23/2009, 06:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14667266#post14667266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
FESTIVUS!!!

:lol: What's worse is that I made a Seinfeld reference without even TRYING! :)

tgunn
03/23/2009, 04:12 PM
Well, Current-USA's response to my inquiry about my problems installing the hinges was that they've never seen this issue before. They offered to mail out a new set of hinges and screws.

I emailed back to say that new hinges and screws don't really help since I can't reinstall the screws.

They offered to ship a new stand to the border depot I originally used where I would pick it up; apparently they are "not set up to ship to Canada". Okay, I'm sorry, but R&L Carriers the company that they use to ship DOES ship to Canada (http://www.rlcarriers.com/canada_map.asp).

I didn't mind driving to the border to save on shipping direct, but I'm not going to drive to the border to pick up a new stand on my dime.

Well, I'll try fixing this myself and see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't look strange with the hinge mounted in a different position.

Tyler

tgunn
03/24/2009, 08:27 PM
Alrighty! I finally got the Solana set up in my living room! :)

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23774-2/IMG_4344.JPG

:lol: you can still see the little hole to the left of the Solana where the sump drain went to the basement. That's okay, I'm sure my daughter will jam it full of crayons and toys.

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23778-2/IMG_4345.JPG

So far the electrical portion of this setup is pretty simple. :) Lucky me I positioned the tank right over top of the old access hole into the basement fish room. :) So I already have a separate circuit running to my Solana.
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23782-2/IMG_4346.JPG

I'm probably going to run some dryer vent ducting down the vent and connect it to the HRV so that I get some air intake cross-drafting across the water surface.

In the end I bought too big of screws to replace the hinge ones. So I just redrilled the pilot holes a bit bigger:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23786-2/IMG_4347.JPG
(yes, I forgot a screw)

Apparently the lid didn't make it. No bother; I wasn't planning on covering the tank anyways.
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23790-2/IMG_4348.JPG

I still need to figure out something to use to shim up the feet a bit as the stand tilts to the back a bit. Any ideas of what would work to level the feet on carpet?

Later!
Tyler

tgunn
03/28/2009, 04:01 PM
Well, got the stand leveled and the tank filled with water:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23816-5/IMG_4349.JPG

I'm currently using the skimmer it came with because I can't seem to fit my Tunze 9002 in the back compartment:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23812-2/IMG_4350.JPG

Tyler

tgunn
03/30/2009, 11:56 AM
STILL waiting for the silt to clear in the tank. I'm going to hang a filter sock in the tank and set up a maxijet to dump water into it in an effort to clear things up.

I also moved the ballast for the HQI pendant to a little board underneath the stand. I found the cabinet was getting way too warm with the ballast AND ups in there.

The Solana skimmer is driving me nuts; its got such a loud hum sound from the pump. I have a feeling I may be giving a shot at making my own modified cup for my 9002 skimmer.

I'm also going to have to look into a proper ATO system. The little bottles that came with the Solana don't even last a day before needing a refill. :lol:

Tyler

tgunn
03/31/2009, 07:33 AM
Well, the silt has mostly cleared out.
I'm off to Boston next week for a conference, and I figure when I get back I'll start building my rock structure and populating the tank. The rock is well seeded and cycled at this point so I don't anticipate any major cycle.

I still need to determine what kind of ATO I want to get for the Solana. Those little bottles are next to useless. :)

I'm between:
Autotopoff.com
JBJ ATO
Tunze Osmolator

I had originally planned on DIYing one but I think the premade route would be easier. :)

Tyler

melev
03/31/2009, 10:22 AM
Agreed. It would be cool if you could use them to dose B-Ionic Part 1 and Part 2, but there's no way to measure it out accurately.

Maybe with the cover, those little bottles would provide that tiny bit you need, but for our reef tanks, they are just there for decor. :lol:

tgunn
03/31/2009, 10:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14730623#post14730623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Agreed. It would be cool if you could use them to dose B-Ionic Part 1 and Part 2, but there's no way to measure it out accurately.

Maybe with the cover, those little bottles would provide that tiny bit you need, but for our reef tanks, they are just there for decor. :lol:

I'm not sure I'd trust the bottles. They seem to burp out their contents at random.

I actually have a Masterflex dosing pump controller. At the moment its only outfitted with a single head, but I was considering getting one of the dual head attachments for it. Then I could set it up to dose 2 part.

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/7100-7/IMG_1410.JPG

My other thought was to build a small calcium reactor out of a 10" clear filter housing (since I've still got the dosing pump, and all my CO2 stuff kicking around).

Yeah I tried the cover on there. I was not a fan of how it looks with the cover (well, it doesn't help that my cover is broken so it looked a bit ghetto because of that). That and I'm sure the temps would skyrocket in the summer time too.

The nice thing is I can pull out the little plastic plate the bottles sit on and there's plenty of room for an ATO. Part of me wants to just get the Tunze unit despite its cost since I know it'll "just work".

Tyler

tgunn
04/01/2009, 08:47 PM
And there are now rocks in the Solana. I was a bit disappointed; I made a nice structure joined by fiberglass rods and epoxy but it was not stable enough to be completely freestanding on the sand.

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23840-2/IMG_4370.JPG

On the floor in the basement the left "Support" rock was not needed:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23836-2/IMG_4371.JPG

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23826-2/IMG_4373.JPG

Of course I misaligned the magnet on the Koralia and it fell into the sand and silted up the tank AGAIN. So I guess by the time I'm back from Boston I'll get a clear tank. :)

Tyler

tgunn
04/04/2009, 10:37 AM
Guess I had some die-off in the rocks by putting them in the Solana. Things are readjusting though.

Nitritres read 1 ppm, and nitrates read > 25ppm.
So clearly the cycle is on!

I'm not entirely surprised I got such high nitrates. The heater I put in the Solana had a whole bunch of mini starfish on it that died in the Solana, plus there was a crop of algae on the magnet cleaner I transferred to the solana. So I'm guessing that stuff died off and is now polluting the water.

I'm about to leave for the CHI 2009 conference in Boston for a week so it'll have more than ample time to stabilize while I'm gone.

I just ordered a Tunze Osmolator for a top off unit for the Solana. I was onsidering a JBJ or one of the Autotopoff.com units but then I'd have to figure out a pump and all that. This way I know it comes with everything I need (sans container I assume, but thats not too hard).

I'll have to see what kind of container I can find to put on the bottom shelf of the Solana. I'm thinking I'll rig up a float valve on that container hooked up to my RO/DI system. That way when the top off is getting low I can open the valve, let the container fill up, and shut off the valve when its done filling. This way I can let it fill on its own and come back later to turn the water supply off.

Alternatively I also have a RO/DI solenoid kicking around so I could always use a timer to turn on the RO/DI supply to the top off container every couple of days and let it fill up on its own. Not as safe as doing it myself, but still not that risky either.

Tyler

Reefinabox
04/04/2009, 12:29 PM
Two 5.5 gal tanks will fit perfectly in the bottom of the stand. I picked mine up from petco. I am using one for top off water and I put a divider in the other and will dose two part from it. I am using aqualifter pumps for all the pumping duties.

tgunn
04/04/2009, 11:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14759750#post14759750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Two 5.5 gal tanks will fit perfectly in the bottom of the stand. I picked mine up from petco. I am using one for top off water and I put a divider in the other and will dose two part from it. I am using aqualifter pumps for all the pumping duties.

Sweet, I will have to check for a 5g tank; thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't think the aqualifter would have enough head pressure to pump up to the tank. Oh well. :) I like the Tunze stuff too though so should be fine.

Tyler

Reefinabox
04/05/2009, 01:26 AM
My aqualifter barely has enough to make it up there. I am afraid that as the diaphragms age they will not make it all the way up there so I may be looking for other options.

tgunn
04/05/2009, 06:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14763149#post14763149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
My aqualifter barely has enough to make it up there. I am afraid that as the diaphragms age they will not make it all the way up there so I may be looking for other options.

Okay, then I don't feel so bad about just ordering a Tunze osmolator then. :) He he.

Tyler

tgunn
04/11/2009, 09:39 PM
Alrighty, I got the Tunze Osmolator installed.

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23846-2/IMG_4379.JPG

I found a Sterilite tote that fits nicely on the bottom shelf. I installed a float valve so I can easily turn on the little JG valve to fill up the tote with RO/DI, and then just remember to shut it off later without overflowing it. :)

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23850-2/IMG_4380.JPG

YAY! No more silly little bottles! :)

Tyler

tgunn
04/13/2009, 06:27 AM
Well, the tank is still measuring a little bit of nitrite and nitrates. So it seems the rock is still cycling in its final home.

I'm hoping that things should stabilize soon, especially now that the salinity is not wildly fluctuating.

I've started running the lights for some time each day in the hopes I can get some algae grown going to gobble up the nutrients. :)

Tyler

tgunn
04/14/2009, 08:04 AM
Nitrites now read zero and nitrates are down to around 1ppm.

I think I'm going to start moving some of my little coral frags into the nano finally.

I'm not sure how i'm going to get the green ricordia off the big rock they're anchored to, but I'm thinking I can probably attach them to a little rock fragment and put it in a somewhat shaded area on the sand bed. The green rics have colored up amazingly in the lower light of the sump.

I'm thinking I'll plop some digitata on the top of the rockwork since it seemed to do well with high light in my 140g. I'm also thinking the purple monti cap will work well there.

The rest of my acros seem to like less light so I'm going to distributed them around the lower levels of my rock structure.

Can't wait to see this going finally!! :)

Tyler

tgunn
04/15/2009, 10:14 AM
I moved over a couple corals and some snails last night.

Hopefully the rest of my snails show a bit more intelligence than the first one I put it; it almost climbed over the edge of the tank and fell to the carpet.

I'll probably aim to add a few corals every day until I've got the old sump cleared out.

Tyler

tgunn
04/19/2009, 10:45 AM
Alright, I now have everything in the nano:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23872-2/IMG_4386.JPG

Things in there:
- electric blue chromis
- peppermint shrimp
- 9 snails; mainly star snails
- stammacorra
- "nice bali deepwater acro", about 4 pieces
- digitata
- green ricordia
- some kind of other acro ( 2 pieces, 1 small 1 large)
- tricolor acro
- purple cap

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23864-2/IMG_4384.JPG

This is an earlier shot before I rearranged the stuff on top:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23868-2/IMG_4382.JPG

Some stuff on the "bottom" wings:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23860-2/IMG_4383.JPG

An earlier rendition of the top stuff as well; I moved the digi to the back where its brightest, and moved some other corals up front instead.
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23855-2/IMG_4385.JPG

The rics are on a rock in the back against the overflow in the shade. They seem to do the best in lower light.

The one fish that DID NOT make it out of the sump was the purple dottyback. I just don't understand that fish. Both it and the damsel hid when I started to try to catch them. The damsel swam into the old return pump intake piping. So I had to disconnect the old return pump from the sump, and open the ball valve to drain that all out into a bucket so I could catch the damsel. I thought the dottyback was in there as well too but I couldn't find it.

I thought the dottyback went and hid inside one old rock I had that had a little tunnel in it, so I broke the rock open, but there was no dottyback. So I honestly have no idea where that fish went. Its a mystery! I have a feeling the guy who is coming this week to buy the remaining rock is going to get a hitchhiker. Oh well, it was a pretty aggressive fish I suppose.

Tyler

tgunn
04/19/2009, 06:06 PM
I just moved the UPS that was in my Solana stand to a shelf in the old fishroom in the basement. I found it was getting pretty warm inside the Solana cabinet and I figured if I ever had a power failure (the UPS heats up even more when its in use) that it might get unsafe. This also has allowed me to move the Solana shelf up so that I can actually peek into my top off container and see if the water needs refilling.

So far the damsel is being a pain; it's been busy moving the sand around to make some caves to hide in, so the water is pretty murky at the moment. Oh well, I'm sure it'll settle in soon enough.

Tyler

tgunn
04/20/2009, 08:59 PM
Well,the Damsel is now housed in a little "fish pen" in the nano made out of a yogurt container. I caught him today after deciding I was tired of him trying to more around all the sand in the tank. What a mess. My cap was coated in sand, and the water is practically translucent from all the silt he has stirred up! I've got a local reefer coming over soon to pick this guy up. I think I'd rather have a cardinal or something like that.

In other news I started to clean out the fish room from my old 140g. Wow, I took up 5 trash bags of junk from there. Just little chunks of hose, eggcrate, pvc pipe, and all other sorts of garbage.

Frighteningly enough there is still a "scary crab" in the sump, despite it being 99% drained (just a little water left I need to suck out with the shop vac. I didn't think anything was left in there, but it was scurrying about in the ice cold water.

Now I've got a big 'ol 5g bucket of "muriatic soup" with all sorts of powerheads, and other goodies soaking away. Soon soon soon this fish room will be cleaned!

I've got someone coming over tomorrow to pick up the last of my 140g's liverock. I have a feeling the purple dottyback is hiding in there somewhere. Oh well, freebie for the next owner.

Tyler

tgunn
04/22/2009, 07:15 AM
The damsel was picked up last night by a local reefer. YAY! No more sand storms! The tank is clear again.

I also picked up a bicolor dottyback and a cardinal for the nano. They're both VERY small fish. I'm thinking one more small fish would be a good complement.

Tyler

Reefinabox
04/22/2009, 11:10 AM
Sounds like it is coming along nicely!!

tgunn
04/22/2009, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14875885#post14875885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Sounds like it is coming along nicely!!

Thanks!

Yes, so far it is coming along quite nicely.

I think the next thing I need to pick up is some nassarius and cerith snails. I have 10 star snails right now but I think I could use a good assortment of smaller ones to keep the sand bed clean.

Thanks,
Tyler

lucas73
04/22/2009, 11:29 AM
Looking good tgunn love your avatar, same reaction from my 2yr old he loves the tank.

tgunn
04/22/2009, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14875983#post14875983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lucas73
Looking good tgunn love your avatar, same reaction from my 2yr old he loves the tank.

Thanks! :)

I need to update my avatar; that's still my old 140g tank in the avatar. But I do have another pic with my daughter pointing at the nano.

It was priceless when we went to the LFS last night. She stopped in front of a tank filled with baby tank raised clowns, looked up, pointed, and said, "WOOOOOOW! Fee-shees!".

Tyler

tgunn
04/22/2009, 07:08 PM
I moved my UPS to the basement and put some more "stuff" on the shelf above (which is moved up so I can see into the top off container). I need to think of a way to fit things in better so I can orient the various monitors and displays vertically.

I figured I might as well use the ORP and Ph monitors from my old 140g setup:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23877-2/IMG_4401.JPG

I also cut a piece of plastic to fit over the overflow and help keep the light out:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23882-2/IMG_4400.JPG

My snails are less than intelligent; spending most of the day crowded into the corner:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23894-2/IMG_4397.JPG

New bangaii cardinal:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23886-2/IMG_4393.JPG

Bicolor dottyback:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23898-2/IMG_4395.JPG

FTS. The snails are getting the silt cleaned off the overflow finally...
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23910-2/IMG_4398.JPG

tgunn
04/27/2009, 10:21 AM
Well, the good 'ol startup cycle continues. I am getting cyano on my sand. Fun fun fun!

I'm also reading a low level (0.05 ppm) of nitrites, which REALLY surprises me. I've been doing water changes to make sure this doesn't get out of hand.

Ca and Alk were a bit low (320ppm, 5.5dkH respectively), so I'm using 2 part to slowly bring those up to where I want them to be.

All said things are going well.

Tyler

tgunn
04/28/2009, 08:10 PM
A few small update shots:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23936-2/IMG_4409.JPG

http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/23930-2/IMG_4412.JPG

Tyler

tgunn
04/29/2009, 02:07 PM
Doh! My cardinal was sucked up against the overflow this morning. I wasn't sure he was doing well. He always hung out in the bottom corner of the tank and seemed to refuse food where the dottyback was a pig from the start.

I'm thinking I might stop getting fish from my usual source. He keeps his water at 1.020, and it takes FOREVER to acclimate back to my 1.026. I wouldn't doubt that this stress (though down over a 45min-1hr period) is what put him over the edge.

Tyler

tgunn
05/05/2009, 09:17 AM
Well, the usual myriad of "startup" algae is running its course. I've got some stringy hair algae sticking to the sand, plenty of brown diatom algae on the overflow, and even some cyano to boot! :)

So far my levels are remaining pretty stable. I'm going to have to do another Ca and Alk test to night to see how those levels are doing.

I had hoped to get some critters for the sand, but it appears thats going to have to wait -- the effects of the recession has hit and we're down to just my income now, and that took a recent cut. So fun fun fun! :)

tgunn
05/25/2009, 07:42 PM
Current FTS:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24606-2/IMG_4463.JPG

This stammacorra has been a real "comeback"; it was hardly a 1/4' speck in my old 140g's sump that hardly held on under the light of a 6500k bulb for the macroalgae; and low and behold it's coming back. I didn't even know it was still in my old sump!
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24615-2/IMG_4465.JPG

Starting to color up:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24619-2/IMG_4466.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24627-2/IMG_4468.JPG

Tricolor is doing well and coloring up nice:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24631-2/IMG_4469.JPG

Purple cap is still hanging on after "adjusting' to the nano:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24635-2/IMG_4470.JPG

The bali aquaculture has nice polyps but pretty ugly coloration otherwise; it was a pretty green before. Oh well.
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24639-2/IMG_4471.JPG

Purple digi is doing well:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24655-2/IMG_4475.JPG

tgunn
05/25/2009, 07:43 PM
For the first time ever hair algae is in my tank!
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24659-2/IMG_4476.JPG

melev
05/25/2009, 08:20 PM
You could remove the locline, and soak it in vinegar for an hour or two to get it clean. I do that whenever the opportunity arises, which helps reduce the possibility of spreading it.

Thanks for all the pictures. You've got some nice pieces in there. The first one is a Psammacora.

tgunn
05/25/2009, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15075703#post15075703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
You could remove the locline, and soak it in vinegar for an hour or two to get it clean. I do that whenever the opportunity arises, which helps reduce the possibility of spreading it.

Thanks for all the pictures. You've got some nice pieces in there. The first one is a Psammacora.

Hey Marc,

Good idea for the loc-line; I never thought of that... Duh. :) I will pop it off and give it a good 'ol muriatic soak.

I have been using a home made PVC siphon wand with a plastic scraper blade to clean off the overflow. I find it works nice because I can scrape off and suck it up right away. Only downfall is that doing a 5g water change I need to be fast. :) Not like with my old 140g where I could siphone out 20g and not even notice it.

Psammacora; that's how to spell it. Ooops. I was real off on that.

Thanks! I'm quite happy with the pieces I've got; they are all from my old 140g. I figured it'd be nice to "keep it alive" in some small way. :)

Tyler

tgunn
06/04/2009, 12:53 PM
Few updates from May 27 (yes, slow to post 'em):
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24773-4/IMG_4511.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24765-4/IMG_4507.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/24769-4/IMG_4508.JPG

Over the past few weeks I've made a concerted effort to measure my Ca and Alk every second day. I've determined that dosing 13.8mL of Randy's 2 part Ca and Alk every second day keeps my Ca and Alk stable at around 420ppm and 8.3dKH respectively.

However, I've QUICKLY grown tired of dosing 2-part every second day (any less frequently and the alk and calcium swing more than I'd like).

So I'm thinking of converting my old phosban reactor into a little calcium reactor. After all, I still have a CO2 cylinder, regulator, pH controller, media, and a dosing pump from my old 140g. My other thought was to just buy a clear 10" filter housing and convert that.

I "could" run the old calcium reactor from my 140, but I think a 30" tall reactor might be a wee bit overkill on a Solana.

Tyler

melev
06/04/2009, 01:03 PM
I don't know if the Phosban Reactor can handle the pressure, so you need to keep a very close eye on it.

For smaller tanks, dosing 2-part is usually easier. I dosed ESV's B-Ionic in my 29g and my 55g for years and years.

tgunn
06/04/2009, 01:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15133876#post15133876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I don't know if the Phosban Reactor can handle the pressure, so you need to keep a very close eye on it.

For smaller tanks, dosing 2-part is usually easier. I dosed ESV's B-Ionic in my 29g and my 55g for years and years.

Hmm, that is a good point Marc. Perhaps a filter canister is a better choice.

Maybe I just need to get a massive syringe and give a shot at manually dosing using that. If I'm forced to do something every other day then I will have an excuse to sit and watch the tank more often. :)

new2u
06/22/2009, 02:43 PM
tgunn give me moar pix!

Your last update shows your tank as a bunch of red Xs :P

tgunn
06/22/2009, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15238423#post15238423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new2u
tgunn give me moar pix!

Your last update shows your tank as a bunch of red Xs :P

Lol, looks like I'll need to take some new pics. I find it strange everything is showing up as Red Xs. I will have to look into that. Could be a permission problem on my gallery.

Tyler

tgunn
08/08/2009, 01:44 PM
Wow, haven't posted here for a while. Things are going well with the nano.
My flush valve on my RO/DI system pooched out today and it won't make water any more. So I've ordered a new restrictor online. It also turns out I'm using the wrong restrictor; I've got one for a 100GPD membrane while I'm using a 75GPD membrane. Ooops!

Tyler

tgunn
08/08/2009, 02:44 PM
RRRR! There are no local companies that sell RO flow restrictors and NONE of the American sites that carry what I want ship to Canada. This is really frustrating. A stupid $6 restrictor is rendering my RO system useless...

melev
08/09/2009, 12:11 AM
You can put a inline ball valve in the waste line and twist it down to the 4:1 ratio you need. It's a simple solution, and you can find John Guest fittings (1/4" in and out) at Home Depot or Lowes.

tgunn
08/09/2009, 12:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15497840#post15497840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
You can put a inline ball valve in the waste line and twist it down to the 4:1 ratio you need. It's a simple solution, and you can find John Guest fittings (1/4" in and out) at Home Depot or Lowes.

Really? It's that simple? Okay, I can certainly do that; I have plenty of 1/4" JG ball valves kicking around. Hmm, actually I think I even have a 1/4" PVC gate valve somewhere in my box 'o' parts; that'd work too.

Thanks Marc! Never even thought of that route.

Tyler

melev
08/09/2009, 12:28 AM
It's just not as tidy a solution, but it is a solution. If I had one here, I'd stick it in the mail but all I have are the kind for 100gpd.

tgunn
08/09/2009, 12:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15497877#post15497877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
It's just not as tidy a solution, but it is a solution. If I had one here, I'd stick it in the mail but all I have are the kind for 100gpd.

I'll definitely get the right part, but if this can hold me until then, I'm happy.

I just hooked up the mini gate valve and tuned it in... However, the downfall is that the waste line seems to still be trickling even with the valve on the output of the RO shut off.... It's not as fast as when I open the RO line to make water, but it still seems to be running.

I have just installed a brand new check valve on the RO housing, and a brand new auto shutoff valve as well...

Hrmm.. curious!

tgunn
08/09/2009, 12:50 AM
I am getting 0 TDS out of the membrane when I'm running it. So I dunno...

melev
08/09/2009, 12:58 AM
It may just be taking longer to pressurize the system with that waste line crimped down like that.

0 TDS is a good thing. :)

tgunn
08/09/2009, 09:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15497941#post15497941 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
It may just be taking longer to pressurize the system with that waste line crimped down like that.

0 TDS is a good thing. :)

Funny, I just swapped back the auto shutoff valve to the old one and now it shuts off properly. So I guess the new one is defective! :)

Thanks! So far so good; 0 TDS and good production.

Tyler

melev
08/09/2009, 03:05 PM
It could be defective, or you installed it backward or even flipped (front to back). The plunger inside can only go one direction, so the front half has to be facing the right way. It's confusing.

tgunn
08/09/2009, 03:08 PM
I figured it was time to post some update pics since it's been a few months. :)

Things have been VERY hectic around here, between work getting busy, trying to get my thesis proposal together, my wife being out of work, and coping with the side effects associated with the disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug treatment I started a couple months ago to help try and get my psoriatic arthritis under control.

Here's the FTS:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/26005-2/IMG_4997.JPG
At the moment I seem to be getting the usual startup algae, although it's not growing as fast as it was in the start. So that's good. I admit I'm NOT good at keeping up with the 2-part dosing, so the corals have not really taken off like I would like.

However, the cerith snails I have in there have spawned and there are plenty of little baby cerith snails roaming around in the tank. So that's a nice thing.

This guy has showed a bit of encrusting on the epoxy mount:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/26010-2/IMG_4998.JPG

The tricolor is slowly growing and keeping some nice color:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/26014-2/IMG_4999.JPG

This one is still kinda doing nothing:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/26022-2/IMG_5002.JPG

My purple digi is doing well enough; it's finally starting to grow now that it's kinda wedged in well enough that the hermit doesn't continually chuck it into the sand:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/26034-2/IMG_5001.JPG

The green rics are doing nicely:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/26026-2/IMG_5003.JPG

My biggest frag is growing up WAY too fast. :)
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/26030-2/IMG_5006.JPG

Later,
Tyler

tgunn
08/09/2009, 03:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15500143#post15500143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
It could be defective, or you installed it backward or even flipped (front to back). The plunger inside can only go one direction, so the front half has to be facing the right way. It's confusing.

I was careful to connect it the same way my old one was hooked up, but it's possible they built it a bit different too I guess. I'll have to give it another shot and if it doesn't work take it back.

Happily everything is working well again on the RO unit though, thanks for the hints and tricks Marc! Monday is "fill up the topoff bin" day and I thinking I'd have to go buy some RO water from the store. Phweeew!

This has all opened my eyes to the fact that RO/DI units are a little more complex than I thought. I had no idea the check-valve was even there, or what the restrictor even did. Good to know though! :) Maybe one day I'll buy some new canister cartridge mounts, and re-mount everything on a piece of plywood -- it's a pretty bit rats nest of tubes and canisters at the moment. Lol.

Thanks,
Tyler

tgunn
12/10/2009, 09:29 AM
Well, apparently I've been HORRIBLY neglecting this thread!!!

I will have to take some new pics tonight and post them.

Things are going great in my Solana. The algae blooms have mostly subsided to a bit of stuff on the back. I'm still getting some diatoms on the sand bed, but otherwise not bad.

The colors of the corals have really started to pick up in the last few weeks and most are slowly starting to grow. I think this is a testament to me getting a lot more diligent at dosing my 2-part. I still need to get MORE diligent with the dosing and testing, but it's a start.

My lone little bicolor in the tank is sure busy with his digging; he's dug an interesting series of caves that allow him to submerge at the back of the tank and pop up in the middle by the rockwork.

My daughter keeps bugging me and saying, "Daddy, more fishies!". Lol. I think once the christmas season has passed I'll take her down to the LFS and get a clown and perhaps a cardinal to add to the mix. 3 Fish in the 34g should be fine.

I recently added a Koralia 3 to the tank, bringing the total to:
2 x Koralia 1 @ 400gph = 800gph
1 x Koralia 3 @ 800gph = 850gph
Return pump @ 390gph = 390gph
Total: 2040 GPH = Approx 60x turnover.

I'm hoping that the extra flow help clear the diatoms that are kicking around on the sand. The thing I really like about these Koralias is that they give such gentle, diffuse flow. There is almost no movement of sand in the tank with all this flow, and I don't need to worry about aiming the powerheads as they're gentle enough my corals are just fine.

Pics to come!

tgunn
12/10/2009, 10:01 PM
Okay, some pics!
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27461-2/IMG_5162.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27470-2/IMG_5163.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27474-2/IMG_5164.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27478-2/IMG_5165.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27486-2/IMG_5167.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27490-2/IMG_5168.JPG

tgunn
12/10/2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27494-2/IMG_5169.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27503-2/IMG_5172.JPG
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/27511-2/IMG_5174.JPG

melev
12/11/2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Lots of polyps out... is the tank brighter than the images imply?

tgunn
12/11/2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Lots of polyps out... is the tank brighter than the images imply?

I underexposed the raw images a bit in Photoshop because I thought they looked better. My Mac seems to have nicer gamma than the default settings on PCs. Here are work they appear a bit dark.
The FTS is a little bit more representative of the brightness. It's definitely pretty bright. I HAVE raised the halide a touch from the water level compared to when I first set up the tank.

I'm actually surprised the corals down low (tricolor and other green blob) are coloring up so nicely considering the light down there is definitely much dimmer than at the top where the purple digi is.

Tyler

tgunn
12/18/2009, 11:45 AM
The city recently brought a new fresh water treatment plant online. Previously our water was sourced from a lake with the addition of chlorine and floride being the only thing done to it before it hits the taps. The new plant removes the dissolved algae and odours that were pretty standard for our water, and also ozonates the water for extra purification. All in all the tap water has went from being yucky, to very drinkable.

As a side effect, some silt or debris in the pipes must've gotten stirred up because the drain valve on my RO/DI (a small gate valve) got plugged completely, resulting in 120TDS water for the past few days. I changed the filters and cleaned out the valve and I'm back to 0-1 TDS post RO, and clearly 0 TDS post DI. I suspect the bad water for a few days may explain why I've seen a resurgence in the diatoms on my sandbed, where they were getting better previously. Oh well. Time to do a water change I guess!

I noticed a few aptasia showing up in my tank. Since the rock I'm using was bleached for over a week prior to use, I suspect it must've come in on the tiny rock I put in with some rics. Sheesh; all that effort to be aptasia free and I still got some!

TYler

melev
12/18/2009, 12:05 PM
Congrats on the cleaner water. That's always good to hear.

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem with your RO system. What's the gate valve look like on the waste line? Do you mean check valve?

tgunn
12/18/2009, 12:15 PM
Congrats on the cleaner water. That's always good to hear.

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem with your RO system. What's the gate valve look like on the waste line? Do you mean check valve?

Lots of people here complained that the city spent $300 million on the treatment plant, but i was just happy to see my tax dollars going into something REALLY noticeable for once. :)

The gate valve on the waste line replaces the typical flow restrictor. My original restrictor broke. The right size replacement for my 75gpd membrane is not available locally and anywhere in the US wants a fortune to ship these silly little things. So I'm just using a little tiny PVC gate-valve I had laying around; something like this:
http://www.specialtymfg.com/images/products/586needlevalves.jpg

I hooked it up and dialed in a 2:1 waste ratio and all is well.

robot2222
12/18/2009, 01:08 PM
i have been enjoying your thread here.really like your choice of the solana .i will be tagging along .im here in phx,az rooting for the coyotes they used to be the winnipeg jets . keep up the good work.

tgunn
12/19/2009, 08:27 PM
Glad you are enjoying my thread. So fAr
I am very happy with my solana but I do miss my old 140g tank and the ability to have tangs.
Lol I hope the former jets are treating you guys well; they were not exactly awe inspiring in Winnipeg. Lol

cherubfish pair
12/20/2009, 12:18 AM
Why not the typical flow restrictor?

tgunn
12/20/2009, 09:50 AM
Why not the typical flow restrictor?

When I had to fix it I couldn't find one locally, and any place that would ship the $6 part from the US wants at least $20-25 USD for shipping a $6 part. So I improvised. :)

browning_boy20
12/27/2009, 10:18 AM
Beautiful tank but I have a question. Do you have a problem with the water temp being to high due to the HQI? And also where do you have your heater installed in this unit, I am guessing in the back somewhere.

browning_boy20
12/27/2009, 01:26 PM
Bump

justshoe
12/27/2009, 02:06 PM
Very nice setup. I keep thinking of a nice solana or jbj setup in my future.

tgunn
12/29/2009, 12:04 PM
Beautiful tank but I have a question. Do you have a problem with the water temp being to high due to the HQI? And also where do you have your heater installed in this unit, I am guessing in the back somewhere.

Thanks!

No problems at all with the HQI making the tank run hot. My heater is set for 80F, and my temps hover around 80-81F. Especially now that its winter, the heater does have to run often to keep the tank up to temperature. In the summer when it's warmer inside the house I occasionally run a small clip on fan directed at the water's surface. That's enough to cool down the tank enough that the heater kicks in. So I normally just leave it and the temps get up to at most 82F.

There is a small space for a heater in the back compartment beside the skimmer. I've got my heater tucked in there. I positioned the heater probe so that it takes its temperature from the overflow water; this prevents and potential cycling from them being so close together.

I'm using a 250w heater, but only because I had one kicking around. Otherwise I'd likely stick with a much smaller one.

Tyler

tgunn
12/29/2009, 12:07 PM
Very nice setup. I keep thinking of a nice solana or jbj setup in my future.

Thanks! I definitely like the simplicity of having everything tucked into the one package. One minor complaint is that the cords on my Koralias, headers, pumps, etc are all a little bit short, meaning it was a bit of a stretch to get all the cords plugged in inside the stand. If you do get an HQI Solana like this, my other tip would be to locate the ballast on the back of the stand or on the floor underneath the stand. I found the inside of the cabinet got WAY too hot with the ballast located in there.

Now, that said, I DO miss my old 140g setup. I guess I primarily miss some of the larger fish like the tangs.

Tyler

powers2001
01/03/2010, 07:04 PM
I have two heavy magnetic ballasts for my 150 watt pendants. I set them on a baking cooling rack so they are off the ground and air can get under them. This has cooled them significantly.

tgunn
01/05/2010, 10:34 AM
I have two heavy magnetic ballasts for my 150 watt pendants. I set them on a baking cooling rack so they are off the ground and air can get under them. This has cooled them significantly.

That's a really simple and good way to get the air flow increased around the ballasts! Great idea!

I've got my mounted to a piece of plywood with some little standoffs but from 1/2" PVC scraps. This ensures that air car flow all around the ballast.

Thanks,
Tyler

melev
01/05/2010, 07:50 PM
Back when I used a PFO ballast, I put it on some ceramic tiles. I felt the tiles were a better way to dissipate the heat and reduce the risk of causing a burn on the carpet one day.

tgunn
02/01/2010, 09:15 AM
In an effort to keep my Ca and Alk more stable, I've been dosing Kalk to my nano using my Masterflex dosing pump. It has definitely been helping to keep my Ca/Alk more steady. HOWEVER, it's raising my pH far too much for my liking. I normally sat around 8.7 as read by my pH controller. Now I'm up to 9.0. I backed off the dosing a tiny bit yesterday and by this morning the pH has dropped to 8.9.

ASIDE from manual dosing (I HAVE tried this and am NOT consistent enough with keeping up the daily dosing), what else have people tried with their nanos?

Would a calcium reactor be a good idea?

The LFS here has these tiny HOB Ca Reactors:
http://www.gunns.ca/dl/nano_reactor.jpg

I already have the pH controller, regulator and CO2 tank from my old 140g tank, as well as a big container of media. So it'd just be the reactor I'd need.

Tyler

tgunn
02/03/2010, 01:18 PM
Well, that's disappointing. My scooter blenny died yesterday.

I'm just not having luck with fish in my nano! I'm back down to my bicolor dottyback.

I had added a scooter and a cardinal about a month ago. I slowly acclimated them in separate containers hanging in the tank for over 45 minutes until the salinity of the water stabilized (LFS is notorious for having low salinity around 1.020 - 1.023). Each sat for a couple days after coming home in a mesh "condo" I hung into the tank. The idea there was so they could settle down after the move and adjust without worrying that the dottyback would beat up on them.

The cardinal died as soon as I released him from his "condo". The blenny seemed to be doing well, but then perished just yesterday. I suspect the spike in pH from dosing Kalk may have been the stressor that did him in.

Any tips? I seem to be losing fish whenever I try adding them to this tank. I can't see what is causing this as I'm VERY careful with acclimation.

Tyler

tgunn
02/03/2010, 09:16 PM
Well, that's certainly frustrating. The past few days I noticed that there was a whole bunch of salt creep built up along the front right corner of my solana. I thought, "MMm, must've spilled some water over the side". So I wiped it up and let it be. Except it kept coming back.

SO, I used a damp paper towel to wipe it all away thoroughly and then dried it completely. I left it overnight, and AGAIN the bottom right corner has salt creep. So I've cleaned it up YET again and will see tonight whether it re-appears.

So I guess I better call CurrentUSA since my warranty will be up in March. I'm not looking forward to potentially having to get a new tank if this indeed leaking. It was hard enough to get the Solana here in the first place; I had to get it delivered to some little hick-border town and drive the US to pick it up since nobody ships them to Canada.

Anyone know if CurrentUSA requires you to ship back defective goods like this? I wouldn't want to have to ship back a tank at my expense.

Tyler

tgunn
02/18/2010, 03:40 PM
Well, it appears the Solana is NOT leaking afterall. Phweew! :) I guess I must've spilled some water and it crept under the felt pad under the tank and the salt was slowly working its way out.

On the fish-front we picked up a pair of tank raise clowns. They're both doing great and eating like pigs. Also picked up 10 trochus snails, who are chewing through the algae on the overflow like mad. I still feel there's an excess of nutrients in the tank that are fueling this nutrient spike though. As an experiment I stuck my Tunze nano skimmer into the Solana last night. It's already pulled a 1/4 cup overnight.

I've been making an effort to monitor my Ca and Alk now that I'm dosing kalk using my dosing pump. One thing I have noticed is that the Seachem Ca and Alk test kits I got are next to useless. Well, the Ca one seems okayish, but the Alk one is completely useless as it has such a low resolution.

Doing all these tests lately has made me realize how much I miss the basement fishroom setup I had with my old 140g tank.

With that in mind I've begun thinking about what it would take to get a sump set up for my Solana in the basement.

I'm thinking I'd need:
- Build an overflow box like what Giannis86 describes here. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798098) This would be my first acrylic adventure, but could be fun! :)
- Sump -- no problem as I have my old 35g QT tank. I just need to patch a hole I had made in it for a bulkhead, along with a crack in the side pane. Not a big deal since I have a load of 3/8" glass kicking around from my old 100g sump. :)
- Return pump -- I have a load of pumps kicking around including a PCX-40, PCX-70, and monster Sequence 1000. All of these pumps are FAR too big. I'm thinking a Blueline 30 HD would work well for my application. At 10' head I'll get around 300gph out of it, which would work nicely. Another option is the Blueline 20HD which would give me around 190GPH, but I think that's getting a bit too low.

This would give me more water volume (stability = good), and allow me to run a fuge to help with nutrient export. Plus it'd make water changes easy - no hauling buckets upstairs with my gimpy arthritic hands. :)

tgunn
04/01/2011, 05:32 PM
I figured it was well past time to update on my tank!

First a FTS:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5923.JPG?m=1301176499

My cap:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5914.JPG?m=1301176478

Digi:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5918.JPG?m=1301176490

Stammacorra:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5916.JPG?m=1301176491

Rics:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5922.JPG?m=1301176500

Acro:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5935.JPG?m=1301623519

http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5932.JPG?m=1301623522

Top down of the cap, complete with a random bubble algae that drifted over.
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5934.JPG?m=1301623522

I had a strange occurence recently where all sorts of little starfish poured out of the rockwork:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery3/var/resizes/GunnsReef/nano/album/March-26%2C-2011/IMG_5903.JPG?m=1301176476

tgunn
04/01/2011, 05:36 PM
All in all things are going well. I'm doing a POOR job at maintaining Ca and Alk. I haven't tested in a long while and really should. I had a kalk reactor set up, but the replacement Osmolator can't seem to pump against the reactor so I'm back to zero calcium supplementation. I really should figure out something for that I guess... Perhaps it's time to make up a batch of 2-part...

I'm still battling aptasia. My electronic zapper seems to work for some, but for others kalk seems to work better.

Bubble algae seems to be receeding for whatever reason.

I figure it's well past time to replace the lamp in this thing. I'm still running off the original 150w HQI bulb from April 2009. Lol. I think I'll go for a Radium 20k.

Tyler

geldof
04/04/2011, 12:36 PM
The pictures look great a nice minimalistic approach to aquascaping and everything seems to have settled in nicely with lots of space to grow. You should consider NTOTM for May.

tgunn
04/05/2011, 09:03 AM
The pictures look great a nice minimalistic approach to aquascaping and everything seems to have settled in nicely with lots of space to grow. You should consider NTOTM for May.

I was inspired by the Bonsai reef thread. Though I honestly can't say I'm deserving of a NTOTM award at this point. :)

Lots of space to grow for sure; I just need to get a proper dosing regimine established so I can keep the Ca/Alk up to where it needs to be.

Tyler

tgunn
07/11/2011, 01:40 PM
Mini update:
Unfortunately my cleaner and a small fish disappeared over the past little while. Not sure what was up there.
I continue to battle a massive case of aptasia. I'm about to rebuild my zapper in hopes of finally fixing the design flaws in the old one. Well see how that goes.

My aqua safe rodi is consistently producing suboptimal water so I've got a brand new unit from brs on the way.

I also just realized I'm at 2 years on my current halide. Oops. A 150w radium 20k hqi is also on the way.

We've had a few longish power outages lately. I scavenged an apc smart ups from the trash at work though. It just needed new batteries and it works perfectly. With all my koralias, the solana return pump and skimmer I don't even register a single blip on the power usage meter. This thong has two 20ah batteries so I suspect it will last at least 6 hrs with my load. The other big plus is it has a true sine wave so the pumps don't even notice the switch to backup power. Heh it even has an Ethernet nic on it for remote monitoring.

Hmm I have a feeling they won't be chucking one of the monster 6000w rack mounters that powers our development robot. One can only hope. Hehe

Nearing the end of my masters degree and that has me thinking of the unfinished basement and how an 8 ft x 4 ft tank would make a nice start to finishing the space. Been reading up an think a peninsula plywood glass hybrid would work really well.

Tyler