PDA

View Full Version : Dimmable LED Moon Lights

LouH
01/23/2009, 01:54 PM
Has anyone done a DIY lunar cycle with dimmable LEDs? I have a bunch of the Current (TM) Lunar Lights mounted in a line above the tank, but they are not dimmable. If you unplug some of them, the lighting intensity under the ones still pluged in remains the same. A dimmible set of LEDs drven by a timer that replicates the lunar phases would be sweet. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Lou

stugray
01/23/2009, 02:11 PM
I have built one out of 3Watt CRE XLEDs and a Rabbit Microcontroller.

The RCM4010 Rabbit microcontroller has built in PWM in hardware, is programmable in C, & has an ethernet interface.

When I bought the development kit it was only $100 on sale but has since gone back up to $250. The RCM ( module ) alone is only $69.

http://www.rabbit.com/products/rcm4000/

If you wanted to go that route I have the code already done.
I dont have the seasons done yet, but the hard part is complete.

You would just need to add the 12VDC power supply, and a couple of discrete components ( opto & FETs ).

Stu

LouH
01/23/2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks Stu. That looks like a very nice platform to get the job done with. If I had more free time to devote to a project that involved, I would jump all over it. Unfortunately, I have a 5 week old baby and a half dozen (literally) other unfinished projects. I was hoping for more of a plug and play solution. Hardware I can do easily, software is another story. Troubleshooting software makes me crazy. I might have to just go with manually dimming blue Christmas lights and a Lunar calendar.

Lou

token
01/23/2009, 04:17 PM
Search "r2 moonlight" at marinedepot dot com and see if that fits your bill?

I have been trying to find the same thing and this may be what I try. It seems cheaply built or I would have pulled the trigger already.

The Neptune Systems works well but you have to have that controller to make it work. I have seen it in action and it almost makes me want to change controllers.

LouH
01/23/2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks Token. Those look pretty good actually.

Regarding the Neptune system, you're saying that you liked the moon phase function so well on the one that you saw that you would consider going over to that controller system just to get that function? That would be a strong promotion.

Lou

token
01/23/2009, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14225918#post14225918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LouH
Thanks Token. Those look pretty good actually.

Regarding the Neptune system, you're saying that you liked the moon phase function so well on the one that you saw that you would consider going over to that controller system just to get that function? That would be a strong promotion.

Lou Well, yes. Not -just- that function, but it's elegance in dimming lights and running the day/moon-light cycle is really impressive. Said differently, I am not satisfied with my current controller and its simplicity is part of the problem.

I am not so sure about the switch, though. It's a system that can use x-10 technology, which would help as my installation is upstairs/downstairs and on two sub-panels. Bottom line, I need a more sophisticated controller and the Neptune fits the bill at the lowest pricepoint. It has so many users that programming it is not something I would have to understand to do.

That being said, I just made the purchase of the R2. The conversion to the Neptune controller is a decision I need to put off for a while. I will be doing that but for now, this gets what I want.

LouH
01/23/2009, 07:03 PM
It sounds like we're in the same place. I'll give the R2 device a shot. It's not like I can't upgrade to a high tech. controller in a couple of years. ;)

Thanks Token.

token
01/23/2009, 07:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14226606#post14226606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LouH
It sounds like we're in the same place. I'll give the R2 device a shot. It's not like I can't upgrade to a high tech. controller in a couple of years. ;)

Thanks Token. Bingo! Thanks for asking this question. It allowed me to make a decision that's been kinda there each night as I drag out the red-covered flash light to look at my tank.

SaltyStlouis
01/24/2009, 12:09 PM
im just waiting for this unit to come back in to stock and im buying one. i have seen them at my lfs and i really like the look and how easy they are to retro into a canopy. it should be every thing you need and more !!

http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/product/moonlights