PDA

View Full Version : Octo question

stlrams88
01/23/2009, 03:20 PM
I saw an atlantic pygmy octo on reefscavengers and it says minimum tank size 20 gal. I just happen to have a 20G laying around, would this actually be suitable for the octo or would i need to do something bigger...this would be my first octo by the way, I hope someday to do a bluering.

stlrams88
01/23/2009, 03:27 PM
Or would it be okay to go in my 24 aquapod reef...yeah i would have to ditch a clam.

Jellyman1213
01/23/2009, 03:40 PM
It would be fine in the 20g tank. They are a small octo and more then likely it is full grown or almost full grown. They have a short life span of only 12-18 months so you will only probably have him for 3-6 months before it dies of old age.

CuttleKid
01/23/2009, 03:48 PM
what ever you do, dont get that octopus because it is not a dwarf. it is octopus macropus and they grow larger than your tanks can hold. also do you have a protein skimmer rated for at least double the tank size that you have? if not than you wont be able to keep any cephalopod. the protein skimmer is the most important piece of filtration in a ceph tank. if you want a dwarf check this sight out

http://tampabaysaltwater.com/ordering/pricelist.html

stlrams88
01/23/2009, 04:25 PM
No I dont have the skimmer right now, I can definitely get one though. I didnt know TBS sold octos, I think that is probably where I will order from then.

gholland
01/23/2009, 05:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14225052#post14225052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stlrams88
I saw an atlantic pygmy octo on reefscavengers and it says minimum tank size 20 gal. I just happen to have a 20G laying around, would this actually be suitable for the octo or would i need to do something bigger...this would be my first octo by the way, I hope someday to do a bluering.

Reefscavengers uses that picture for EVERY octopus they offer, regardless of species. I wouldn't place any bets on what you would actually get.

Also, it IS possible to keep a dwarf in a 20 gallon without using a skimmer as long as you are very good about water changes and manually siphon the top layer off once in a while.

Thales
01/24/2009, 07:38 PM
Be careful of reefscavengers. They have been promising me a not insignificant refund that they have been promising to me for over a year.