PDA

View Full Version : Should I downgrade my lights?

jmaak
01/23/2009, 09:00 PM
I am currently running a 150w mh(20k radium) + 130w PC fixture (50/50 and Actinic) on a 30g Finnex M-tank. My question is should I downgrade my lights to a T5 setup?
I am having some heat issues right now with my temps around 84 at the end of the light cycle. Im worried what the temp will be like in the summer if it is this bad now. Plus some of my palys are not opening because of the intensity of light.
I should add that I do not plan much, if any SPS, in my tank.
The only thing that is stopping me is that i like the blue of the radium bulb and the shimmer effect.

What do you guys think?

Chris009
01/23/2009, 09:35 PM
You could get a nice color from T5 lights. I actually think T5 can produce bluer colors with a ncie par as well. As far as downgrading your lighting, I would try moving the lights higher from the top of the tank first before shelling out the money for new lights. A small fan wouldn't hurt with cooling, although I do not know if the increased evaporation would be a problem in that tank.

BLANKENSHIP76
01/23/2009, 10:09 PM
I second Chris009. Try a fan, I use a clip on fan hooked to Ranco controller and it cools my tank great.

Also, you would be shocked at how high you can raise your lights(w/MH) and not hurt the health of your corals.

How high is the fixture off of the water right now?

jmaak
01/23/2009, 10:50 PM
Right now about 6 inches from the top of the water. The problem is that im renting and not allowed to drill holes in the ceiling to mount the lights.
Do you guys know of a way to raise the lights while still sitting on top of the tank?
Also I would be looking to trade someone for T5 lighting, unless you think no one would want to make that trade?

salty55
01/23/2009, 11:14 PM
I'm not a halide expert ( t-5's are the only thing I have ever used) but I think the MINIMUM height for halides are 12" from the water surface.

BLANKENSHIP76
01/24/2009, 08:16 AM
I keep my halides like 8 inches off the water. but I know a lot of people who keep them up to 18inches off the water.

If I were I would drill the holes in the ceiling, and put some tootpaste in them before you move out. The landlord will never know.

If you raise your lights and get a fan you'll be fine.

But letting your water fluctuate 5 degrees or more everyday is not really all that great for the tank. Stability is the key in this hobby.

You could also run your halides for shorter periods of time, I know people who only run them 5-6 hours a day and have gorgeous grown out SPS tanks.

macreefster
01/24/2009, 10:56 AM
ive always kept my halides 6-8 inches off the water and dont even use a fan for cooling in the winter. when i had a 29 bio cube with a 250w HQI six inches off the water i used a cooling fan along with the tunze ATO and that worked fine for over a year until i upsized my tank. you might want to try keeping the lights as they are and adding a fan and an ATO, jmaak. you also might want to think about not using the pc's. i wouldnt think you'd need them with the 20k radium.

jmaak
01/24/2009, 11:19 AM
good points guys, thanks! I think im going to just get a fan and deal with the heat. Thanks again.