PDA

View Full Version : nano powerhead suggestions please!

reefermike1
01/24/2009, 09:31 AM
setting up a 15gallon tank 24x12x12. its not an all in one nano, at this point its just a tank and a light thats on its way. it will be setup mainly as a grow-out tank for sps frags. it will have minimal rockwork and a ssb.

im trying to figure out the best powerheads for strong flow, with no sandstorms in such a shallow tank. they will probably be mounted on the sides of the tank.

i like the koralia powerheads but dont have any experiance with the smaller ones. right now temporarily i have a k3 on one side while curing my lr and i feel it would be much too strong unless i kept it bb, plus its pretty big in there.

so i need some suggestions, i really dont want to play the trial and spend more money on something else game. so im thinking 2 koralia nanos or 2 k1s.... maybe one k2 or a tunze nano?

someone please point me in the right direction-

thanks

Junyoungmin
01/24/2009, 10:11 AM
i have koralia nanos 1s and 4s. i would think 2 koralia 1s would be good for that size plus they come with the add on tip so the flow isnt so widespread. i think having 2 k1s would be better than 1 k2.

reefermike1
01/24/2009, 02:30 PM
thanks for the reply:) i have a few threads about this posted on various sites and koralia 1s seem to be the most commonly suggested.

Thoro
01/24/2009, 04:18 PM
Koralia 3 may be a bit strong for a 15 gallon, but I tend to think you can never have to much flow look at how violent the ocean currents are. So I wouldnt worry about having to much flow thats a good thing unless its kicking up your sand lol.

I would try to go with 2 koralia 1s one on both sides of the tank to get a good mixture of flow from both sides.

NanoReefWanabe
01/24/2009, 06:48 PM
i would say maybe a one and a two....i found the 1 to be pittiful in my 20h the 2 does a decent job getting across the tank...the three was too much (size anyway) for the tank, now i have a modified tunze6025 in there and the k2, flow is crazy throughout the tank, but none of my SPS seem to complain, nor do the LPS or anemone...

LISound
01/24/2009, 09:08 PM
2 6025's is a bit much. I have that in my 20H which is BB, and it's crazy flow.