PDA

View Full Version : ick, fallow tank or not?

jadeguppy
01/24/2009, 09:49 AM
I added two bartletts anthias to my tank and had a major ick outbreak. I missed the fact that more than my tang was infested at first. I ended up losing the bartletts, my flame angel, and the male occ. clown that was paired up. I have left my sailfin tang, royal gramma, and female oc. clown. I've been adding chem vita and garlic to their food for two days and have been feeding multiple times a day. All three look much better. Now to the decision part:
Should I pull the fish and put them in a 30 tank (from a 125g) to QT them as I let the tank sit without fish for 6 weeks or will this be a waste of time in the long run. Removing the fish will be very stressful on them and not easy to do. I can't remove the corals and rocks from the existing tank and I set it up with a ton of caves. If I add any more corals/ rock to the tank after the six weeks, which I will, ick will probably hitch a ride on the rock and reinfest the tank. Is it really worth the stress to the fish and me to take them out for 6 weeks? Am I better off leaving them in there and using garlic on a regular basis?

I knwo there are people that feel strongly about both sides of this, but I'm looking for first hand accounts and research that backs one side or the other. Thanks for the help.

Fish_wiz2
01/24/2009, 10:37 AM
I would recommend fallow but before that try to raise the temperature (mine is at 80F now) and feed gut loaded nutritional food. i had the same thing happen but with a PBT and now everything is fine (3 tangs and a few other fish)

stuccodude
01/24/2009, 10:40 AM
i experinced the same thing with your same results 2 years ago and never pulled my fish and still no problem

jadeguppy
01/24/2009, 07:44 PM
Anyone else have experience with this?