PDA

View Full Version : MP40w keeps Disconnecting???

roshan
01/24/2009, 10:24 AM
Hello Guys,

Hope you may be able to shed soemlight on this problem. I got my pump back in Sept 08 as a brand new Gen2 model. Its been working fine but over the last 4 weeks or so it had disconnected twice - I could not see why this had occurred and upon re-connecting and powering on again it operated fine.

However, this week the same problem re-occurred only this time as soon as I reconnect the two halves and switch the power on - the pump operates for a few secs and then as soon it starts to ramp up (I have mine in reef crest mode) it just disconnects.

I have contact ITC (Uk distributer) who I understand are trying to get some info on this via your engineers. They very kindly sent me a replacement magnet for the wet side thinking this should solve the problem. Unfortunately not, it just keeps disconnecting upon me connecting the two halves and powering up.

Is this something you can advise on please? I run a full on SPS tank and the vortech is the sole pump in there - I have had to get out my old nano streams to keep the tank running with sufficeient flow. I have loved the vortech but this is causing me concern. Any info you can shed either here and to the distributer would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Roshan

roshan
01/25/2009, 07:38 AM
Had a quick look through some of the threads on this forum for clues to my prob. Found that you can clear error codes that could be causing probs so followed the sequence Ecotech gave in Oldudes thread "errors":-

hold mode - white light flashes
hold mode + set - white/yellow light flashes
cycle pump (power on & off)

I also re-did the magnet swap on the wetside to ensure everything was fine. When I re-connected the two halves - the wet side impeller does not spin. I have checked the tightness of the screw and all is ok - you can "hand" spin the impeller.

Any help or suggestions guys please.....

I really hope Ecotech get back to ITC soon with some solution very soon...

Roshan

EcoTech Marine
01/26/2009, 08:43 AM
roshan-

A pump disconnecting is usually not attributed to any type of error code, it is a mechanical issue with either the motor or wet side. Since the introduction of our Gen2 pumps, we have seen this very infrequently so we believe it could have been related to the older magnets.

When you re-did the magnet swap it sounds like you re-installed it incorrectly, thus the binding. Check to make sure that the bearing is flush with the top of the wet frame. There are two small grooves that must nest within the bearing or else it will protrude and cause what you have seen. Please review the instructions here:

http://www.ecotechmarine.com/support/Manuals/Gen2Upgrade/Gen2Upgrade.html

or here:

http://www.ecotechmarine.com/support/support.htm#TB_inline?height=360&width=490&inlineId=video3

Once everything is installed right I would wait to see if the disconnecting continues. Twice in a month does not necessarily imply that something is wrong with the pump, it could be that a snail got into the pump and de-coupled it. Disconnecting every few days or so indicates a problem.

roshan
02/01/2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks Ecotech. Can happily report that a new wetside via ITC has solved the problem.:)

Thanks again for the support both here and via personal email.

Roshan:) :) :)