PDA

View Full Version : Blue Throat Trigger Owners: Please Respond

Kevin34
01/24/2009, 08:26 PM
I want to get a male blue throat trigger for my 125 reef. it will be in there with 2 true percs, sixline, jawfish, male lyretail anthias, and a lieutenant tang. Are these triggers known for rearranging rock work? do you think one would be ok in my tank?

xanthurum
01/24/2009, 08:40 PM
I only have limited experience as I have only had mine for just over a month now. He is still small, around 3.5 inches but doesn't mess with anything. I did lots of research on them here before I got mine and I am sure lots of people will chime in. Mostly I read that almost everyone who has them says they are model citizens never messing with inverts,fish or coral. They are timid for a few weeks to months but come around. To really answer your original question, no they don't rearrange your rock work.

Kevin34
01/24/2009, 08:50 PM
ya I too have yet to hear of anyone say that their trigger misbehaves. I am still debating on getting one though. I want a lieutenant tang, purple tang, and the trigger. no sure how those 3 will be together. any thoughts

jpa0741
01/24/2009, 08:58 PM
No will not rearrange your rock work like other tangs. 125 would be the min I would ever put one in, as long as it is 6'. I love mine, very cool fish.

kidako
01/24/2009, 09:14 PM
I have a pair of blue throat triggers ,I have seen them blow into the sand bed looking for food,both have moved rocks,the female has picked rocks almost the size of her,I now have crushed coral bottom and they have dug under some of the rock/pvc pipe.I will try to get a pic.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/175608Picture_009.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/175608IMG_3867.JPG
Their tank mates are miniata , clown groupers,unicorn tang,fox face tang and cleaner wasse.

nur.dls
01/24/2009, 09:41 PM
I have a mated pair that aren't quite a week old, around 4inches, they seem do be model citizens. I have an 180, alot of tangs, yellow, sailfin, kole, naso, bellus and lamarch angel, wrasse, and a few others, they don't bother anyone.

falconut
01/24/2009, 11:01 PM
I had a 4" male for over a year and he never moved any rocks or bothered any inverts. Maybe they get more destructive as the get bigger and older.

gildorph
01/25/2009, 12:01 AM
I've had a pair for 2 months - large one is 6 inches/small one is about 3 inches. I have not observed any rearranging activity. Based on their behavior so far, I could only see them causing damage/knocking over rocks or corals with an over-aggressive move towards food. I was impressed quickly with how strong and fast swimmers they are.

They have been well-behaved as well. The little one tends to get in more face-offs because of many other fish her size. Nobody messes with the big one.

tony13
01/25/2009, 07:36 AM
I have a pair for over a year now. They are great fish and don't bother anything.

NuTom
01/25/2009, 08:05 AM
My Bluethroat has been with me for 3 years now. Boy he's a slow slow slow grower. Yes they will move rocks.

Honestly i kinda wished i didn't buy him from the beginning but i decided to get him based on people reviews on how they are reefsafe(like above). He has killed a cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp, 2 bangaii cardinals, neon goby and five chromis. This guy is a killer!!

Sorry to Hijack your thread but thought this is something you would like to know too.

Does anybody else have a Bluethroat that does this?
Please I'm looking for replies from people that has a Bluethroat longer than 2 years and has tried added something like the above in their tank after him. I notice that most of the people that say that they a reefsafe haven't even kept one for a long time.

Kevin34
01/25/2009, 09:52 AM
would you guys say a sargassum is more reef safe than a blue throat? based on what I have read the order from best to worst choices in a reef between triggers goes crosshatch, sargassum, blue throat.

Carl Barone
01/25/2009, 10:27 AM
I have a male and female bluethroat they are model citizens. They have never rearranged any rock work. They are not even the first ones out when I feed the tank. They even will setup to be cleaned by the cleaner shrimp.

MattL
01/25/2009, 11:34 AM
Tagging along for future reference.

kidako
01/25/2009, 12:53 PM
My Blue Throats have not picked on any of the other fish

Bolo Tran
01/25/2009, 06:48 PM
I've had mine for about a year and he has been a perfect little goober. The only thing that he's been guilty of is breaking my monti digita branches when it gets startled and dives into the cave that the monti isnin front of. It's done that on several occassions. I guess it's not his fault as it's unintentional.

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/25/2009, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14236679#post14236679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kevin34
would you guys say a sargassum is more reef safe than a blue throat? based on what I have read the order from best to worst choices in a reef between triggers goes crosshatch, sargassum, blue throat.

I'd say they're about the same, since they're both in the same genus and they get to about the same size there's a good chance they might have similar temperaments. Now, from what I've heard and from what I've seen they're relatively peaceful and don't tend to bother things. This isn't to say that you couldn't get a runt that'll end up being a bully, couldn't tell ya though. 99% chance though is that it's gonna be a passive fish. Can't say it won't be a potential for havoc based on its size though.

gildorph
01/25/2009, 10:13 PM
Hopefully not to much OT, but to all pair owners - were male/female markings different from the beginning or did they develop into the differences commonly seen in full grown pictures.

Reason I ask is mine look identical but LFS said they were an ordered pair. the little one is probably still young.