PDA

View Full Version : Dripping kalkwasser

kookerson
01/24/2009, 10:12 PM
One of the solutions to a problem I posted in another thread was to drip kalkwasser (basically, I need to raise my Ph), which really confuses me. Maybe Im just reading into it too much.........but how do you do it? How do you know how much to dose? Especially when im already dosing my own DIY 2-part? I know some people mix it with their top-off water, but do they use it everytime they top off? Also, i already mentioned that I dose a DIY 2-part, so how will it affect that???

46FiatYamaha
01/24/2009, 10:20 PM
you can put the kalk in the top off container, and using a dosing pump as the top off pump you can add it that way. It has a pH of 12, so you can't add large amounts at a time. Another way is to take something like a 2 liter soda bottle, drill a hole in the lid for 3/16 airline tubing and put a regular plastic air valve on it, and it will drip into your sump or DT. I usually drip about one drop per second, but if it's on your 20 gallon nano, I would go much less than that, maybe one drop every 3-4 seconds. Also a good article on the subject http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

kookerson
01/24/2009, 10:24 PM
So Hey! If you have an ATO system.......you could just put your Kalk in that, huh? From some articles I have read, it sounds like most people drip this stuff 24/7 with ALL of their top off water, does this sound right?

46FiatYamaha
01/24/2009, 10:38 PM
sure it works fine, just make sure your top off pump is one that pumps very slowly, not a MAG pump or anything like that. I personally replace all my evaporated water with kalk, but I don't dose any other calcium or alk supplements, and it keeps my tank at pH 8.2, alk 3 meq/l, and calcium 420. You may find that using all top off water with kalk is too much, so you could always lower the amount of lime you add to the water. Normally you can add 2 tbsp without problems, but reduce it to whatever you need if it's too much

Chris&Mel
01/24/2009, 11:21 PM
Were do you guys get your Pickling lime from....I've checked every grocery store and Wally world in my area and I cant find it

CnLHolman01
01/24/2009, 11:32 PM
apparently there are only certain wally stores that carry it. They don't all carry the same stock. I have to drive 30 minute to find it in Vegas.

phunkie99
01/24/2009, 11:34 PM
be careful kalk will clog ATO pumps thats why some do a gravity drip

Qdaddy
01/24/2009, 11:35 PM
Most walmarts carry it during spring, summer when fruit is in season and canning is more likely. Will be in the canning section.
Side bar love your avatar - combing the desert, that's funny!!! :rollface:

kookerson
01/25/2009, 12:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14234773#post14234773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 46FiatYamaha
sure it works fine, just make sure your top off pump is one that pumps very slowly, not a MAG pump or anything like that. I personally replace all my evaporated water with kalk, but I don't dose any other calcium or alk supplements, and it keeps my tank at pH 8.2, alk 3 meq/l, and calcium 420. You may find that using all top off water with kalk is too much, so you could always lower the amount of lime you add to the water. Normally you can add 2 tbsp without problems, but reduce it to whatever you need if it's too much

So, for you, kalk by itself manages to keep your levels in check like that?

Chris&Mel
01/25/2009, 12:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14235107#post14235107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Qdaddy
Most walmarts carry it during spring, summer when fruit is in season and canning is more likely. Will be in the canning section.
Side bar love your avatar - combing the desert, that's funny!!! :rollface:

So.....right now, any suggestions on were to find some?

46FiatYamaha
01/25/2009, 07:54 AM
I actually get mine from a small private owned hardware store, but it is available seasonally at most grocery stores too
Kookerson, yes it's the only thing I add currently

Michael
01/25/2009, 07:59 AM
best bet is to put a crockery dish in the bottom of the top of resevoir, this way the output to the tank or sump wont suck up the kalk residue which can be a problem

kookerson
01/25/2009, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14234773#post14234773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 46FiatYamaha

In an Auto Top Off system, water is replaced as it evaporates. Now, if I plan on dripping 24/7.........then adding Kalk to my ATO would work fine, right? The only problem that Ive read is that excess Kalk can settle at the bottom of the container...........so if I keep my ATO pump elevated off the bottom of the resevoir, then it shouldnt be a problem, right?

Geodriller
01/25/2009, 11:56 AM
There is no set equation for limewater. depends on too many things. do research before adding kalk, and I would recommend a PH monitor if you are going to dose kalk. Also if you have alot of corals and evan a high evaporation rate and the strongest kalk (which mine tests at 950ppm calcium and 12-14PH and that is full strength on kalk with white distilled viniger) you may still not get whats required out of it, and if thats the case stop the kalk for at least 12 hours to let the water stabalize before adding any suppliments. I loose 2gal of water a day and I still have to boost dKH every 3 weeks and calcium every month. Again if you choose to go with limewater DEFFINATLY get a PH monitor. I have close to 100 gallons of water (and that is counting for displacement from rock, sand, etc.) and I can only drop 2 drops a second max and it still shows a pretty good jump in ph, and I start my drip when the daylights in the DT go out for the night. Once you get it dialed in kalk will be your best friend, just start slow and do your perameter tests daily for a while.

Sk8r
01/25/2009, 11:59 AM
Exactly, re adding to ATO. Cut a circle of eggcrate and jam it down as a false bottom in your ATO bucket, and set your topoff pump on that. All excess of kalk will drift down past it, and will be roused (and dissolved) at the next addition of ro/di to the bucket. The properties of ro/di water dissolve pretty well exactly 2 tsp per gallon. Any excess just waits for more ro/di water. Just don't go crazy with excess. Also, fashion a gasket for the lid of the topoff bucket: I use rolled up paper towel. Foam rubber would work. Lid it tightly to prevent crusting. And allow to settle for 24 hours after a stir-up of the bottom slurry, as in adding more water.

nukemdanno
01/25/2009, 12:10 PM
http://store.mrswagesstore.com/mrswagpiclim.html

This is what I've been using............

kookerson
01/25/2009, 12:45 PM
Geo, my tank is considerably smaller than yours, with the sump it doesnt even peak at 30 gallons.......so maybe it'll be easier for Kalk to level everything out?

Geodriller
01/25/2009, 01:07 PM
Kookerson, I dont understand what you mean in your reply. By level things out you mean keep your levels consistant then that has to do with your consumption rate and evap rate. You can only add so much water, and kalk can only be so consentrated. If you dont have a high demand for calcium ie. alot of corals/coraline algae then you should be able to keep perameters fine with just kalk. amount of total water volume has nothing to do with it, its all about how much calcium your inhabitants use and how much water evaporates.

kookerson
01/25/2009, 06:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14238002#post14238002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Geodriller
Kookerson, I dont understand what you mean in your reply. By level things out you mean keep your levels consistant then that has to do with your consumption rate and evap rate. You can only add so much water, and kalk can only be so consentrated. If you dont have a high demand for calcium ie. alot of corals/coraline algae then you should be able to keep perameters fine with just kalk. amount of total water volume has nothing to do with it, its all about how much calcium your inhabitants use and how much water evaporates.

Oh, duh, I so what you mean. At the current moment, I dont have to much calcium consumption going on........but there will be. Thanks!

Geodriller
01/25/2009, 07:27 PM
Happy to help, buddy. Just remember to do some reading on kalk before use. there are some very important things to know about it . People say the dangers are over blown, but it can be problematic if you dont understand the process. Most bad things that happen can be reversed with time and water changes with minimal to no loss, but better safe than sorry. I have heard some real horror stories. But when you understand how it works, then it is pretty much fool-proof

Agu
01/25/2009, 09:11 PM
At the risk of self promotion, dripping kalk into a tank your size is pretty simple and cheap,

DIY Kalk Dripper (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php)

I top off four tanks with kalk on a daily basis, takes about ten minutes in the evening to fill the bottles and about a minute in the morning to start the drips.

Typically kalk won't raise Ca levels unless you have huge evaporation, It helps maintain the existing Ca levels.

46FiatYamaha
01/25/2009, 09:14 PM
I've used Agu's kalk dripper for over a year now, very cheap and easy method :thumbsup: