PDA

View Full Version : Didn't buy cool yellow Sebae at LFS

zaraemna
01/24/2009, 11:01 PM
I saw a great looking yellow sebae at a LFS today. I was so temped to buy it. It was a very bright yellow and about 8" across. The foot was the same bright yellow color and the mouth was tightly closed. I thought I remembered reading the really yellow ones are dyed especially if the foot is yellow too. I told the owner I would come back for it later since I had to go a few other places first. I looked on RC here and it seems that it was probably dyed so I called him back and told him I read online it was most likely a dyed anemone. He told me it wasn't and there are yellow ones. I saw a few threads where someone bought a bright yellow one with pics but no one ever posted what happened in the end. Does any one have a bright yellow one that survived or that stayed yellow?

ocellaris123
01/24/2009, 11:05 PM
It was dyed. Healthy seabaes are either brownish tan in color, or purple.

Anemone
01/25/2009, 12:56 AM
Although there can be yellow anemones in nature, the sebae is one of the most commonly dyed. If it was a "real" yellow sebae, the odds are good that there would be some color differential between the foot, the oral disk and the tentacles. Besides that, a true yellow sebae would have been more expensive from the wholesaler and much more expensive at the retail level.

Kevin

cadillaking
01/25/2009, 01:10 AM
i seen this same one yesterday. it was cool looking.

ScubaDiver93
01/25/2009, 01:55 AM
i made that mistake. it was cool for a week until it died.