PDA

View Full Version : What Is Going On

dwiseman
01/25/2009, 09:27 AM
Last night I installed the ACjr with DC8 and DCHD4 on my 90 gallon fish tank. I decieded to tidy up things and install a GFCI at the outlet. I am running 6 T5 SLR ballasts from reefgeek. Each ballasts draws about 1.01amps. The problem I am having is periodically the GFCI trips shutting the whole tank down this is with only one T5 running. Overnight the tank ran fine (no T5s on). Right now the T5s are plugged into the DC8 plugs 1-3.

I thought this would simplify my life but it is beginning to be a pain in the #*^.

areze
01/25/2009, 10:16 AM
GFCI? is this a real GFCI outlet, or just a little plug in thing, if its plug in, lose it. they arent a good idea to use, they trip if the power goes out and wont come back on when the power is back. replace the outlet if you want GFIC protection, it shouldnt trip unless something is wired wrong

dwiseman
01/25/2009, 10:41 AM
It is one of those plug in ones. Question if I replace the outlet with a proper GFCI can I install a 4 plug over it?

I though I found the problem. My heater had water in it and I think when it came out would trip. Replaced the heater then began turning lights on. Rear and middle lights worked but when I went to turn the front lights that's when it would trip. I will replace the plug in GFCI with a proper one and give that a try.

areze
01/25/2009, 02:14 PM
yeah, you should have no problems with a splitter on your GFIC.

somethings up with your front lights though. it shouldnt trip a GFIC, outlet or otherwise, they are all the same with the exception of after a power outage.

is it the GFIC tripping or the fuse on the DC4?

dwiseman
01/25/2009, 03:34 PM
Removed the plug in GFCI and placed what I had there before a six plug surge protector. Plugged in the front T5s and the tank has been running for a few hours without tripping the breaker.

Don't know what caused the plug in GFCI to pop when the front T5 were plugged in?

kenargo
01/25/2009, 03:44 PM
Don't know what caused the plug in GFCI to pop when the front T5 were plugged in?

Do you have a grounding probe in the tank; if so remove it.

dwiseman
01/25/2009, 04:20 PM
I have had one for years but during this project it was not plugged in. May I ask why?

kenargo
01/25/2009, 04:33 PM
If you have GFCI outlets they are not needed and can actually cause unexpected trips of the GFCI.

shawnz28
01/25/2009, 11:18 PM
Here is something to read, I have seen this come up with a few lighting fixtures on other forums when used on GFCIs. i am no expert in electricity but thinking it might be the problem.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1552060

kenargo
01/26/2009, 10:40 AM
Yes, that is what I was thinking might be the problem...

dwiseman
01/26/2009, 03:49 PM
No problems since removing the plug in GFCI. Thanks for the help