PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite sandbed? Pics always welcome

Smitty750
01/25/2009, 02:37 PM
What do you like what dont you like. Im thinking about Carrib Sea Bahama Oolite Ultra fine in my DT, and Aragamax in the Fuge DT will have 3" SB and the fuge 4"-5"

Shmax
01/25/2009, 02:46 PM
Don't do it! That depth in the DT is dangerous, here's a great thread IMO, may shed some light on why I say that.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1520368

Nereaga
01/25/2009, 03:19 PM
I had Oolite type sand in my 75g setup, blew around everywhere! Won't make that same mistake again. This time around I went with the Natures Ocean Fiji Pink sand, a bit coarser, and perfect for sand sifters, IMO.

Plus it looks puuuurty! :)

Its all a matter of your taste....

Brad

Whys
01/25/2009, 04:43 PM
Technically, 3" is considered a Deep Sand Bed (DSB). A DSB can be a great addition to a display tank, but they do require some special considerations. Tho there are a few substrates out there that claim to provide a functional DSB with as little as 3", it is highly recommended by most hobbyists to have at least 4". If a DSB is not what you want, then a 1/2" to 1" is generally recommended, as more can be troublesome.

I have a 5" DSB in my display tank. I like to recommend CaribSea OceanDirect Original Grade as well as their Oolite. Both of these are appropriate for either shallow or DSB. It can be a bit pricey tho, since it is usually only available as Live Sand. There is much debate on the necessity, or there lack of, with regard to Live Sand. Personally, I really like the composition either way.

Oolite can give you trouble if you have a lot of current near sand level, as it can blow it into drifts and deposit it on top of your corals. I put about 2" of the oolite on the bottom and 3" of the Original Grade on top. This ensures a function DSB that stays in place.

Whatever you choose, let us know what you think of it. People are always looking for first hand opinions on substrate.