PDA

View Full Version : Are these Manjano Anemone?

kirkaz
01/25/2009, 05:54 PM
Story on these is...I picked up some LR for my Nano several months ago and one piece had a single hitchhiker on it, in a month or so it split, I was a little worried about it in the small tank, so I moved it to my big tank which only has a few leathers and mushrooms. With the stronger light it has split a few more times and more rapidly. I kind of think they are pretty, do I need to get rid of them? In the second pic, you can see they are on a rock group in the middle of the tank and the only coral near them is a fairly large Colt Coral....Thanks for any help.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll101/ksrobey/IMG_1054.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll101/ksrobey/IMG_1057.jpg

jbird69
01/25/2009, 05:57 PM
si senior, majano

kirkaz
01/25/2009, 06:07 PM
Ok, am I crazy to want to keep them?

tbar
01/25/2009, 06:20 PM
No not crazy, maybe daring. I had some in my first tank and liked them also. I have one now starting to comeback after many hits of aptasia x. I think I will let him grow some but when he splits I will only keep one as best I can. They move around on occasion and I heard that if you place some small flat rock around them you can just lift them out if they get on it.

reefman30
01/25/2009, 06:28 PM
That rock looks easy enough to take if ya ever want to get rid of them. Just encase each one in super glue gel. Doing that killed the one I had come in on a coral I got once. No harm to the coral either.

jbird69
01/25/2009, 06:43 PM
They are one of the prettiest niusence species. mine were very pretty, a verigated pink and green. I gambled with keeping them and they spread to about 2-3 dozen. Its easier to kill them now before they spread into hard to reach areas.

zombiereef
01/25/2009, 07:01 PM
i would get rid of them asap. they will spread like wildfire. mine would randomly, just lift of the rock and float around. i had one drop off and land in a large clump of frogspawn and it stung the crud out of it. the frogspawn tenacles are all messed up now and look deformed. the majanos are very strong and i have yet to find a coral that can stand up to them. they will kill! i'm not lying. it's too bad because they are beautiful. joes juice and aptaisia x will melt them away. you can also "kalkpaste" them away too.

MarkusII
01/26/2009, 05:34 AM
Hello kirkaz,

yes Manjano and should be removed...

But your fishload is also tough forthe size of your tank
they outgrow your tank!

regards

Markus

kirkaz
01/26/2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I suppose I will yank them while its easy....Better safe than sorry.

Markus, thanks for the comment, I do know how big my fish can get....All the fish are young and I will upgrade in a few years to a 10 X3 footprint, around 500 gallons.

Whisperer
01/26/2009, 09:24 AM
If you're not interested in keeping corals in the future, I think you're Ok to want to keep them.

reefkoi
01/26/2009, 09:47 AM
I agree, a species only tank with a carpet of these guys would look pretty cool...............just don't plan on ever adding any other corals!

AquaKnight
01/26/2009, 10:40 AM
If you like them, I'd say keep 'em for now, but watch them closely. They really don't spread wildfire-style like aiptasias, but can start to be a handful if unmanaged. If they start to grow too much on that rock, or randomly pop up elsewhere in the tank, it's time to nuke them (kalkpaste mixed in a shot glass stuck up by a needleless syringe).

If of course that could always lead to an awesome thread about finding a hardy butterfly to add that would eat the majanos, but leave the softies alone *cough*mitratus*cough* ;)