PDA

View Full Version : bicolor angel?

psilentchild
01/25/2009, 07:19 PM
Why are these angels so hard to keep? I have had mine since august and I have had no problems with him(knock on wood)

LisaD
01/25/2009, 08:24 PM
it may have to do with collection practices. years ago, no one could keep them, and they got a reputation for being difficult. long term survival may have more to do with what shape they are in when they are imported. glad yours is doing well.

agreeive?fish
01/25/2009, 09:25 PM
I agree totaly with what LisaD said.. i have had mine for about a year to a year and 1/2 and its a piggy and a modle citizen even with other drawfs in the tank

HOBrien
01/25/2009, 09:31 PM
Its about a 50/50 chance on getting them to eat. I added two of them that were 1" and 1.5" and they are doing great and were picking at the LR the second day and this was just over a week ago. I am hoping they will pair up.

suta4242
01/25/2009, 10:15 PM
I do think its collection related. The president of our local society has had his for about 10 years - he actually posted the details on RC.:celeb1:

I wouldn't consider them a hard to keep angel; but I might think differently if I was in the states.:confused:

But if you've had yours since august he'll probably do well provided you look after him.

good luck :wave:

psilentchild
01/25/2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the infor I had talk to several different people and they said that they were hard to keep. I was just wondering is there something I should.be worried about. I watch every time I feed to make sure every one gets their share off food and he does. Since my kole tang died the bicolor is king of the tank. Hey lisa I'm going to do like you said do far as the QT and the HT. One of my coworkers has a 75 gallon that he wants 10 bucks for so I'm going to get it and make it a HT.

DamnPepShrimp
01/25/2009, 10:53 PM
I don't think bicolors are all that hard to keep but a somewhat similar fish the tricolor or rock beauty is apparently hard to keep. I always thought it was mainly due to their diet.

LisaD
01/26/2009, 06:00 AM
I could SO use a $10 75 right now! :)

I had a juvenile rock beauty for over a year. one day it just turned up dead, all the other fish were fine, no prior symptoms. is that how it usually goes with these fish?

suta4242
01/26/2009, 05:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14242454#post14242454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
I don't think bicolors are all that hard to keep but a somewhat similar fish the tricolor or rock beauty is apparently hard to keep. I always thought it was mainly due to their diet.

Is it true that rock beautys should have sponge in their diet regularly for long term success? :confused:

Sorry for the OT psilentchild

Nighthawk31
01/26/2009, 06:53 PM
I didn't know they were hard to keep. I bought one 2 months ago. I put it in my daughters 29 where it spent a few minutes checking things out. Then it attacked the only aiptasia in the tank (weird, huh) and began picking at the live rock. It will eat anything we put in the tank.

psilentchild
01/28/2009, 09:09 AM
Can I add a coral beauty to my 72 gallon with my bicolor? I have a buddy of mine says he doesn't want his anymore and he will give him to me if I want him.

billsreef
01/28/2009, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14243477#post14243477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
I had a juvenile rock beauty for over a year. one day it just turned up dead, all the other fish were fine, no prior symptoms. is that how it usually goes with these fish?

That is typical with juvenile's. The adults typically never fare well for more than a few weeks at best. Theory is that as they mature, there is a change to their dietary needs, typically reported as being a need for sponge in the diet.

With the BiColor's I also am of the opinion that collection and shipping has much to do with it. Any I've gotten from known good sources have always done well. Ones from unspecified origins (read Phillipines/Indo) always die within a few weeks to a couple of months.

vid660
01/28/2009, 04:30 PM
I had no idea they were hard to keep. I had my bicolor for a year and a half. Just traded him to LFS a couple weeks ago since he didn't play nice with some soft corals I added. I really enjoyed him. Very active and definitely had an attitude!

HOBrien
01/28/2009, 05:51 PM
They are nothing as in hard to keep compared to Potters Angels though.