PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I?

ddinox64
01/25/2009, 10:33 PM
I have a Yellow Watchman Gobi that has made his home between two rocks on the side of my tank. I can easily remove the front rock without disturbing his hole and make him visible to observe.

I also noticed a mushroom I bought and disappeared from where I placed it seems to be growing partially over his hole between these rocks. By removing the one fist size rock, I will gain the view of this sharp looking little guy/girl as well as the mushroom.

I have yet to buy him a companion(pistol shrimp). But if I leave as be, I will not be able to see the cohabitation of these two hopeful little buddies without moving the rock.

So. Do I or don't I?
Can I or can't I?
Should I or shouldn't I,,,,,,move the rock?

If I do, will he make another home elsewhere, or stay there? I guess that's the real question Because if so, I'll let him be.

lionfissh
01/25/2009, 10:43 PM
I dont think he'll like it if you move it. Im sure he feels secure between the rocks and thats why he made his home there. You could try, the worst thing that will happen is that he'll pack up and move.

DamnPepShrimp
01/25/2009, 10:56 PM
My yellow watchman goby made his home on the back part of my tank when I put him in. He realized after about a month that he needed to be in the front to get food. So he made many tunnels and holes, he could be scene all over the tank. So I would let him be, I am sure he will make a hole more visible to you due to feedings and wanting to know whats going on.

BangkokMatt
01/25/2009, 11:27 PM
Leave him be. As stated before, they tend to move home anyway.

BangkokMatt

BangkokMatt
Sorry x2 post

Macimage
01/25/2009, 11:33 PM
Leave him in the spot he picked and don't move the rocks & mushroom. Sometimes the best course for our reefs and fish is not to interfere too much. It's one thing to move a coral because it's getting too much flow or light, but in this case, just enjoy watching him in his chosen natural setting.

snorvich
01/26/2009, 06:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14242679#post14242679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt

Amen. If you modify his home, he will likely move.

lionfissh
01/26/2009, 08:11 AM
side note, how deep of a sandbed do these guys need to make a home?

DamnPepShrimp
01/26/2009, 12:00 PM
A couple inches. Mine jumped over into the overflow and ended up past my fuge into my return area where he lived under my pump for months. I thought he was long gone. They aren't like jawfish who need a DSB.

ddinox64
01/26/2009, 02:26 PM
Well, I guess the vote is in. The rock stays and I just see his reflection. My sand bed averages about 3 and 1/2 inches. Lowest point is 3 and the highest is over four.

Even in my freshwater tanks I have always had a deep substrate. I like the look and the benefits that come with it.

bheld
01/26/2009, 05:22 PM
I would just let him have his home...i have a YWG that i see about twice a month if that...but as long as he's getting food and staying healthy, I'm glad to have him!