PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Poll for my new tank...

Dave's Reef
01/26/2009, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what's gonna be the best value/ bang for the buck for the skimmer on my new 120 that I'll be setting up in the next few months.

I'm down to a few decision wise and thought I'd seek your opinion.

1.) Bubble King mini 180 (not too bad compared to the Deltec)

2.) ATI Bubble Master 200 (good value)

3.) Deltec AP701 (more than the flippin Bubble King)

4.) ASM G3 (best value)

I'd love to just get the Bubble king but MAN... that's a LOT of dough! So, of the others I've named please provide some feed back.

Thanks,

Dave

GSMguy
01/26/2009, 10:45 AM
The asm would be the cheapest but also a poor value, 3 years ago they were a good value.

No need for the deltec when BK and ATB are cheaper,

Why buy bubblemaster when MSX is better quieter, and half the price...

My choice would be the ATB econo 940.

ihopss
01/26/2009, 11:04 AM
Look at the DAS EX+1 to it is a good skimmer for the $$.

http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=73

GSMguy
01/26/2009, 11:10 AM
Ihoops while I agree the DAS are nice, have you seen the bubble magnus 160? I feel it offers more bang for your buck + chris at nuocean gives good customer service while petorama sucks at CS.

kc350twin
01/26/2009, 11:21 AM
Is Das Deltec copies?

KC3

GSMguy
01/26/2009, 11:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14245134#post14245134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kc350twin
Is Das Deltec copies?

KC3

Not copies they licsenced the design from deltec.

mojo~
01/26/2009, 11:35 AM
the das ex1 hat owned I thought was pretty flimsy. I could actually squeeze the cylinder it was so thin. No the best quality in my opinion. The ATB is good, The warner marine K2, And the msx line will all work really well. I would use a Warner Marine S series over any asm skimmer any day. Although they are more expensive they are built rock solid and the S200 uses a awesome sedra 9000HO pump. The atb, msx and the WM k2 all use sicce pumps. They all have their own little differences that they do to them but all will work very well. I have not owned an ATB but the WM k2 was built very well and runs awesome. Any of these will be great. I agree with GSM when saying for Value the MSX line is hard to beat. But if you want all the bells and whistles I would go with one of the others we have suggested.

Dave's Reef
01/26/2009, 11:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14244842#post14244842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
The asm would be the cheapest but also a poor value, 3 years ago they were a good value.

No need for the deltec when BK and ATB are cheaper,

Why buy bubblemaster when MSX is better quieter, and half the price...

My choice would be the ATB econo 940.

MSX??? Who makes it and where can I look at one?

GSMguy
01/26/2009, 12:09 PM
Marine solutions is a sponsor they have a forum on here with a club thread and everything.

Dave's Reef
01/26/2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah... and I could have just done a Google search like I did after I put up that last post...:idea: DUH!

Oh well... so, now what's the deal with these "cone skimmers"??? I've seen many using them but don't really know squat about them and their performance, benefits (if any) and such???

Can you expound on this GSMguy? Or provide a link to some info or something? If they're that much better of a skimmer then I'm definitely interested. I see a lot of the ZEO guys running the KZ cones and I am going to be running this next tank as a ZEO tank so, I'm intrigued. Please, do tell???

Thanks

GSMguy
01/26/2009, 01:05 PM
Cones reduce turbulence and backpressure on the pump, they also offer a smooth transition from body to neck, when propoerly matched with a good needlewheel pump and bubble plate, cones are great, I have been using mine since September and love it.

I also run zeo the key to zeo is really efficent export, when you are dosing carbon 4x a day it really helps to skim wet and get out as much organics as possible.