PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Dosing

bhdmc
01/26/2009, 02:17 PM
I been seeing a fews thread where hobbyist are dosing vodka. How does this benefit the tank beside making the fishes and corals a little happy? Are there any ill effect to the tank and its habitants?:D

digitalis
01/26/2009, 03:08 PM
only if they try to drive!

Peter Eichler
01/26/2009, 03:25 PM
You really just need to read through or post in those threads you've been seeing. I believe there's one big one on the first page or two in the SPS forum.

Juruense
01/26/2009, 04:08 PM
Never in a million years would I consider doing it. If I had short term concerns I would just toss a chunk of polyfilter in there. Long term I would use more conventional methods to manage nitrates. In the 30+ years of being in the hobby I learned not to fall for the fads long ago. In the 30+ years of being in the hobby I learned not to look for the magic answer in a bottle of whatever long ago...

smatter
01/26/2009, 04:36 PM
Adding an organic carbon source to feed the bacteria that are already in your aquarium is really a simple way to export unwanted substances like nitrate and phosphate. The method requires an efficient skimmer. One must take care not to overdose as a bacterial bloom can occur and consume a lot of O2. Also some corals react adversely to a low nutrient environment. It all depends what type of coral biotope you plan to recreate. I will repeat the advice given above and tell you to read as much as you can. The method works well for me. No need to use carbon, GFO, or any other chemical media for that matter.