PDA

View Full Version : Marco Rock

jallard
01/26/2009, 05:05 PM
Sooo the rock I ordered back in October finally came in a couple weeks ago. Although it was dry.. very dry, I put it in a large tote with a PH and heater and let it go. It actually stunk, not terrible but more than I thought it would. Now a week or so later and about 3 water changes its smelling ok. How long should I let the rock go before I should put it in my tank?

I plan to replace all my current rock because of a bad bubble algae problem. By replacing all my rock at once would I be in danger of a ammonia spike due to a lack of beneficial bacteria?

LockeOak
01/26/2009, 05:11 PM
I would let it go for a while longer, another couple of weeks at least. I started a new tank with all marco rock. I had some problems with mine (I actually cured it in the tank) and I think some of my current algae problems a year later are partially due to that early mistake. Cure it as long as you can.

reefrick.M
01/26/2009, 05:31 PM
Super high in phosphates. Wash it,,soak it in vinegar,run a protein skimmer and be prepared to run a ton of GFO. Also get a Hanna Meter. This stuff is full of dead organics.

jallard
01/26/2009, 05:41 PM
Hanna Meter.... whats that?