PDA

View Full Version : Almost Killed two coral

celebrity2be
01/27/2009, 08:56 AM
I did a water change last night, put in PH buffer (first water change since getting coral) and two of my smaller corals shrank and got a translucent/white film around them. How did that happen? Did i almost kill them? I only did a 10% water change.
Thanks,
Jim

Sugar Magnolia
01/27/2009, 08:59 AM
Did you test your pH before adding the buffer? You may have spiked your pH which would have stressed your coral. What kind of corals do you have?

celebrity2be
01/27/2009, 09:01 AM
I did not test my ph - i should have, but that was just the routine i was used to. I have mushrooms blue and red, leather tree, and purple polyp.

michellejy
01/27/2009, 09:02 AM
The general rule is don't dose unless you are testing.

Also, did you dose directly into the tank, or did you put the buffer in the water change water?

celebrity2be
01/27/2009, 09:07 AM
Directly in the tank :( - Can you tell how much i really dont know about this hobby? lol

michellejy
01/27/2009, 09:18 AM
We all screw up :)

You have pretty hardy corals, so I doubt you did any permanent damage. (As an example, I was moving a mushroom frag to a different rock in my tank and ended up dropping it underneath the large rock at the bottom of my tank. There was no way I could get it out without pulling every piece of live rock out of my tank, and it just wasn't worth it to me. About a month later, I saw some red where there wasn't any before. It turns out my mushroom had worked its way out of a crevice in the rock pile and has multiplied several times. Like I said, we all screw up. :lol: )

So going forward, test your PH since there is a good chance you don't actually need the buffer at all. If you do, mix it in the water change water first and then add it to the tank.