PDA

View Full Version : Petco, You Suck At Saltwater Fish

tang named junkyard
01/27/2009, 01:34 PM
We have a couple petco's in town and I have yet to see either place without a huge ich outbreak. I made the mistake buying a fish there one time which whiped out the rest of my tank. Everytime I go in there I see these beautiful large angles and powder blues COVERED in inch. For someone who is suppose to care about animals they are one of the worst killers of tropical fish.

Good4nothin
01/27/2009, 01:40 PM
That’s like saying Autozone, you suck at Lamborghini repair :)

Sugar Magnolia
01/27/2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1472429

macreefster
01/27/2009, 01:47 PM
anyone that supports petco saltwater fish department deserves what they get sorry to say.

tang named junkyard
01/27/2009, 01:53 PM
I guess the question I have: WHY AREN'T THEY CHARGED WITH ANIMAL CRUELTY???

Amoore311
01/27/2009, 02:18 PM
B/c fish aren't Sea Kittens >_<;;

Seriously though I do think it's ridiculous.

ScooterBlenny
01/27/2009, 02:33 PM
I would never in a million years put anything from Petco into one of my tanks...that would just be asking for it, from the looks of every Petco I've seen. I must add, though, that I've heard rumors that a few of them actually have good enough employees to keep the section decent. In fact, there's one here in Raleigh that shares a employee with the neighboring fish store, and I hear that this particular Petco has a great saltwater section.

As a general rule, though, I agree with your title.

davew0670
01/27/2009, 02:41 PM
My wife and I went in to browse the other day. I watched an employee helping a couple pick out a marine starter kit, a bag of crushed coral and some other junk. Then he went and fished out a clown and a damsel for the same couple. Im not a violent person but I really wanted to punch that petco guy in the face. My wife was actually in line with some dog treats. I made her put them up and told her we are not buying another thing from them ever.

Fitchguy
01/27/2009, 02:49 PM
So why didn't you say something? That kid who helped pick them out probably is going by what the PETCO Mangage told him. I used to have a petco 2 minutes from my house and They had just opened, so brand new fish systems and everything. What I found out was the manager was very very receptive of my recommendations and care techniques. The store ended up winning multiple fish section awards for Petco's in the region. So HELP THEM out, just like the help you get here! You are as much to blame if you dont speak up, and to watch the couple spend hundreds on useless crap means they will leave the hobby and never try again. And we need all the hobbiests we can get to stand tall against PETA! LOL

runningstix
01/27/2009, 02:52 PM
These posts are worthless. Of course they dont have good fish policies, and boycotting them will harm no one but yourself and your dog. Go there look how sad it is that they continuously kill fish, get your dog food and go home.

However, that dog food they sell will most likely kill your dog as well so now you cant feed your dog either.

Amoore311
01/27/2009, 03:01 PM
If people don't buy specific livestock from their store, it eventually will not be carried in that store.

My Petco only carries tank raised clowns (which are all ORA btw), various gobies, some damsels, and common tangs like Hippos and Yellow Tangs.

They tried to sell coral and L/R for a bit, but I guess no one bought it b/c they no longer sell it.

My Petco isn't the worst store in the planet, I wouldn't buy anything other than some clowns there though.

LobsterOfJustice
01/27/2009, 03:03 PM
Petco where I use to live in Timonium, MD was great. Healthy fish, and they didnt even try keeping inverts that they couldnt keep, like corals, anemones, etc.

The one near me now... more sick fish than healthy, and tanks full of dying corals, anemones, and clams.

DaveMorris
01/27/2009, 03:08 PM
We have a Petco here in San Diego that has an Aquatics dept. Manager who frequents our local boards. He has been allowed to run the dept. his way, which I am happy to report is the right way. He gets coral and fish from ORA and other reputable sources. The store's fish dept. looks great, is well run, and the livestock is treated appropriately. I believe they are doing quite well since jeff took it over and since it is a sort of test project, maybe it will spread through the company once they realize the money that they can make when it is done right.

Don't write them all off. One or two of the stores are actually OK. Of course that is one or two out of probably 1000, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

IslandCrow
01/27/2009, 03:59 PM
There are really bad Petcos and there are really good ones. I think Good4nothin kind of hit on it, though I'd ammend Lamborghini repair with Lamborghini parts. Petco doesn't have to have a stellar fish department to make money. As a matter of fact, I'm guessing the fish department is not a significant portion of their net income. In other words, they're a jack of all trades pet store, so don't expect them to excel in all areas.

The moral of the story is, if you don't like their product, don't buy from them. There's no reason to sign some petition or try to get fish renamed to sea kittens (I busted a gut reading that on the PETA website by the way).

Elan L.
01/27/2009, 04:23 PM
The sea kitten thing will probably backfire. If Sea kittens taste soo good, then how do normal kittens taste?? XD

FREEZY POP
01/27/2009, 04:35 PM
I think the big problem is that most people dont make a career of working at petco. they hire a lot of young and inexperienced kids who if you told them to put the tang in a bag would make orange coolaid. bottom line, knowledge of the hobby is extensive and most of these young kids could care less about it to the degree necessary to maintain a healthy ecosystem for these animals!