PDA

View Full Version : eunicid worms

GEE5
01/27/2009, 06:43 PM
Hi

I have a 7" eunicid worm in my tank that is eating away at my open brain and Palys. I saw it and it is lightening quick. How do i cathch this pest!!

thanks

charlesr1958
01/27/2009, 07:54 PM
Figure out what rock it is withdrawing into and remove the rock from the aquarium. Once you can see what hole it is in, you can very carefully and slowly, pour a little vinegar or seltzer water into the hole which should drive the worm out.

Chuck

GEE5
01/27/2009, 07:58 PM
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is that he has moved from one end of the tank to another and is lightning fast. I have no idea what rock he is in? I was hoping to put in a trap but not sure what is a good one.

thanks

TheH
01/27/2009, 08:58 PM
Talk to this guy: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1558229

As I understand it, they will habitually retreat to the same rock if possible.

Koshmar
01/27/2009, 09:38 PM
Since these guys have been popping up all over the place lately, is there anything special they need to thrive in an aquarium? Space, sandbed, lighting?
If you capture it, don't kill it, I might be interested in taking it off your hands.... Ya I'm crazy.:D

kool-cat
02/25/2009, 04:57 PM
I had like a 6 inch thin 1 which I killed like a month ago. I took the rock out and left it out in the cold snow.

Elysia
02/26/2009, 03:18 PM
I have/had a tiny one (if I still have it, I hope it is still tiny...) and it didn't leave the confines of its rock. It has/had a small hole, and when it is done finding mysis that float its way, it covers its hole opening w/ small stones. Crafty critters in deed.

I would guess that what the others have said is true, based on observing this one. Likely you found the worm while it was foraging, and it took refuge somewhere out of dire need, but has a nice home location somewhere in a choice piece of rock.

The only thing that I have in my tank that does not seem to claim a piece of tank as its home (even if that home changes every few weeks) is my clownfish that doesn't have an anemone. He just sleeps practically at the water's surface.