PDA

View Full Version : Finally the 210g pics

DamnPepShrimp
01/27/2009, 07:46 PM
Well, after a few problems, the tank seems to be doing good! The trigger was out in the begining but is hiding recently, still getting used to the tank. He was always shy. Same with the wrasse, but once I got the lights working properly (dropped one in the tank!) he came out and is loving the 7' of length and 2' of width! My BDM also loves the tank, he's able to stretch out quite comfortably. So here are some pics, if you have a good eye, you can see the wrasse in every pic, the fish is everywhere! Although he is blurry in every pic, he moves very fast! Sorry about the crappy pics, these were taken with my phone, only camera I have.

FTS
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/photo-120.jpg
left side
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/photo-121.jpg
middle, notice the returns behind the rocks, directed 4 ways
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/photo-122.jpg
right side, with the massive pillar/eggcrate rock structure
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/photo-123.jpg

I am getting a GP with my local club and I have a 2-3" french angel, 2-3" queen angel and a 2-3" doctorfish tang coming in. Getting them all for under $100!!!! Here is a pic of an adult doctor tang, gorgeous I think and very underrated!
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/doctorfish2.jpg
All fish will go into my QT tank that I have setup under the stand of the 210g, treated with prazipro and everything possible except ich (unless they have it, I don't believe you can get 100% rid of ich). Also I will be adding a small group of yellowtail damsels, I already have one in there now, I'll add 4-6 more, great for clean up crews.

Let me know what everyone thinks!

Grouperhead
01/27/2009, 08:42 PM
Tank looks great. Can't wait to watch it progress. The structure on the right is very nice.

MatthewLaw
01/27/2009, 09:23 PM
great shots. please keep us posted!

Recty
01/27/2009, 09:37 PM
Looks very nice. I hope you can keep up your water quality on this one!

fender4string
01/27/2009, 09:51 PM
Nice setup! Any chance you can post pics of how you setup the plumbing for my own selfish reason to learn more about big tank setups lol.

It sounds like you're going to have an awesome stocklist-I'll be excited to see this tank with all the fish in it! The french angel will be a cool addition-I haven't seen a lot of them on here and it seems like most people aren't impressed with them. I think they're pretty sweet.

Also I felt like the wrasse made the pictures kind of a challenge which was entertaining-like where's waldo haha :D

flameangel88
01/27/2009, 10:56 PM
Nice looking tank and I can't wait to see more pictures in the coming weeks.

Jerry W
01/27/2009, 11:14 PM
Looks great. I really like the rock work. Looking forward to more pics.

AquaKnight
01/27/2009, 11:20 PM
Wow, sounds like someone got a great deal on some awesome Atlantic fish!! I fully agree on the Doctorfish, very underrated in the hobby. They are very stunning in the wild when I see them diving.

DamnPepShrimp
01/27/2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone!

Bo, yeah, the structure on the right took some time to do and somewhat plan out. I had to make it BDM proof! The right one I kind of threw together, it sucks.

matthew, I will definitely keep an update.

recty, this one is my tank, the other was a holding tank. Really the only thing was wrong was nitrates on the other tank, which is common in FO setups. I am going to get a bigger skimmer soon, plus look into sugar/vodka dosing.

fender, the plumbing on this tank sucks. I don't plan on keeping it for a while, it was a tank I kind of stumbled upon, needed a bigger tank so I went with it. I hate the plumbing on it, so I wouldn't use it as a reference. I agree, I love french angels (especially adults) and I want fish that you don't often see. I will be getting a bigger tank within a year or so though. So this one will be stocked pretty well, but most fish will be juvi's.

flameangel, yeah me too! Can't wait to see a small harem of flames in there!

Jerry, thanks, I like the right rock work, but the left sucks. Funny, the same thing in my reef too.

Here is an idea of a stock list, I know it will be slightly overstocked, but all the fish will be juvi's and I will be getting a bigger tank towards the end of this year or next year, still deciding on a size.
Queen Angel
French Angel
Doctorfish tang
Chocolate Mimic tang
Klunzinger wrasse
niger trigger
trio of flame angels
small harem of yellowtail damsels
Brazilian dragon moray

Possible future tankmates (maybe after upgrade)
Pair bluethroat triggers
Salfin tang
Bluering Angel (maybe emperor, blueface, I don't know)
Harem of anthias (lyretails probably)
Harlequin tusk
trio of longfin heniochus
coral beauty or biocolor or potters or?

Again, I know that is a lot of fish, but the upgrade will be soon and I won't be adding all those fish to this 210g. I am thinking of doing a 96x36x30 450g tank as an upgrade. All depends on what I find when I am ready for the upgrade. I will keep an update, the juvi queen, french and doctorfish tang will be here in a week!

DamnPepShrimp
01/28/2009, 07:19 AM
Aquaknight, sorry didn't see your post, must have been when I was typing my reply out. Yep, my club is doing a GP through ccritters.com and the fish are already cheap! The GP just adds icing to the cake, especially on shipping. Can't wait until they get here!

tm613
01/28/2009, 08:55 AM
Was not aware of ccritters.com I have just ordered a ABt and Cherub from Liveaquaria to go into my Caribbean setup...what is teh shipping like from them...i have never seen a Doctorfish for sale.

Also, the Hidden Reef had around 7 or 8 flame angels (on the small side) on Monday...harme may be easy to get....

kirkaz
01/28/2009, 09:19 AM
Lookin Good!!!!! I really like the Doctorfish and the Chocolate/Mimic Tang, 2 of my favorite Tangs you don't see as often as you should....I would be curious to see how well they cohabitate together......I might worry a bit about the Flame Angels and Damsals with the BDM, I know Lisa's behaves, but I know they can be aggressive as well.

AquaKnight
01/28/2009, 11:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14261110#post14261110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
Aquaknight, sorry didn't see your post, must have been when I was typing my reply out. Yep, my club is doing a GP through ccritters.com and the fish are already cheap! The GP just adds icing to the cake, especially on shipping. Can't wait until they get here!
Awesome. I am definitely considering putting an order through ccritters (esp. if they also offer in-state Florida shipping for $15 like SWF does). Intently waiting seeing/hearing how your guys arrive.

DamnPepShrimp
01/28/2009, 02:59 PM
Tm, yeah they have some good prices. The two angels were going to cost about $55 to ship, I don't know if that's expensive or not for two fish, seems like it to me. Since I'm getting in on a GP, the shipping costs should be considerably lower. TPP has good ABT and cherubs from time to time. My brother got both from there with good results. I am looking to get my flames from fish factory, they were $38 for flames last I checked.

Kirkaz, yeah both those tangs are gorgeous as adults. Well see how they get along, both being juvi's in a 7ft tank. My BDM is nothing like lisa's or the typical one. He's just a big baby. I hand feed him, he's lived with damsels all his life, he doesn't bother anyone except my rock structures! He has the temperment of a zebra eel, I kid you not.

AK, that would be great to get instate shipping rates! Must be nice living so close to the ocean! I will definitely let you know how they arrive. I think the order goes in tomorrow so I should get them Tuesday. Very excited! I miss my old queen angel and I've always wanted a French.

saltyguy51
01/28/2009, 06:40 PM
Never heard of a doctor tang- cool fish

DamnPepShrimp
01/28/2009, 06:45 PM
And cheap! They are boring as juvi's, kind of plain, almost white. But as adults, they get a gorgeous blue. I've always wanted a blue fish, mainly for my reef, but oh well, this is going in my FO, which actually has a couple of corals! Don't hate me guys! It's still going to be aggressive! Unless my angels eat every coral, which probably will happen, then it will be a true FO tank.

fltt
01/28/2009, 07:49 PM
Nice job DPS, I like the rock work alot. I would like to do something like that with my 300g. The Lr I have is in my 150g
and I think it would take to long to create something and the Lr will dry out.

DamnPepShrimp
01/28/2009, 09:48 PM
It's really not that hard. I just cut all the rods to different lengths and get an idea of what I want. Then I look at the rock and see what works where. Just do one rock at a time. Drill it, put it in the new tank. Then take the next, keep stacking them or atleast putting them into the new tank. The longest a rock was out of water was maybe a minute, if that. So I don't think I had really any die off. When you drill it, have a bucket of saltwater from where the rock came from to wash off the rock and drill bit. Hows your monster french doing? Bet you can't wait to add your fish into the 300g! I have a french and queen coming in a few days, can't wait. It will be a long time before they get to adult colors unfortunately, but I like watching them grow and change.

S4lt Lif3
01/28/2009, 10:01 PM
do you have any pics of your BDM? if you don't mind sharing that would be awesome..

DamnPepShrimp
01/28/2009, 10:07 PM
Sure,
Here's one I just took today in the 210g
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/photo-124.jpg
I caught him yawning in the 90g
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/photo-114.jpg

Sorry my pics suck, I only have a camera phone.

flameangel88
01/28/2009, 10:41 PM
Very nice looking BDM in the first picture and after seeing the second picture I'm afraid my 10 2.5-3.25" angels and wrasse will become his/her meal.

DamnPepShrimp
01/28/2009, 11:03 PM
Ha, nope! There has been damsels and other small fish with him. I can pet him if I want, he's very nice! Unlike the other BDMs you hear about this one is a wuss. Its similar to a zebra eel temperment. I have no worries at all. You have 10 angels and wrasses? I thought more then that!

MatthewLaw
01/28/2009, 11:05 PM
i would still be worried wtih that BDM!!

DamnPepShrimp
01/28/2009, 11:09 PM
Haha, guess you have to be around the eel and get to know it. I've had the BDM for about 8 months now. He went through a few hunger strikes where he could have eaten a few 1-2" damsels, never did. No worries what so ever. Maybe I should make a bet like danorth did with his clown trigger, haha. Any takers? First fish killed/eaten by my BDM gets $20? Haha

flameangel88
01/28/2009, 11:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14268234#post14268234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp

You have 10 angels and wrasses? I thought more then that!

Only 10 in the 2.5-3.25" size. The other angels are 3.5-5".

flameangel88
01/28/2009, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14268280#post14268280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
Any takers? First fish killed/eaten by my BDM gets $20? Haha

Keep the $20 I'll take the BDM and make this

Sushi (http://japanesefood.about.com/library/pictures/blunagiroll.htm)

:lol:

DamnPepShrimp
01/29/2009, 12:11 AM
No way! You have to come pick him up with your bare hands then if you want him! I've been bitten by him before, on accident, I can only imagine if he knows your trying to turn him into sushi, what he'd do to you haha.

danorth
01/29/2009, 12:41 AM
Great looking tank DPS! I love the shine of a new tank. Nitrates suck, phosphates too. Try to stay on top of the nitrates now if you can. Start the vodka now so it can start to build up since it takes a while to start working. I'm up to 10ml a day and don't see a nitrate drop yet. I look forward to see this tank come together.

ps, I'm thinking about the flame trio too!

DamnPepShrimp
01/29/2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks Dan, your tank is definitely an inspiration to me and something to look up too! I definitely think I'll be able to stay ontop of my water params, just didn't care about the 90g since it was a holding tank that was up for too long. I have been meaning to ask you about dosing vodka. Do you really just use cheap vodka like popov? I really don't know anything about dosing it. Also, I've heard sugar is better to dose? You still haven't seen any change in nitrates? Think about trying something different? Denitrator? Sugar dosing?

flameangel88
01/29/2009, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14268625#post14268625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
No way! You have to come pick him up with your bare hands then if you want him! I've been bitten by him before, on accident, I can only imagine if he knows your trying to turn him into sushi, what he'd do to you haha.

lol I knew you were going to do that to me getting me to put my hand in there. C'mon bring it over and I still have a year's supply of nori. haha Good laugh to get the day jump started. :lol:

danorth
01/29/2009, 11:09 AM
DPS, thanks! Popov is the drink of choice for them. I am moving it up to 12 ml today. I am ready to get the nitrates down. I am leaving my lights off on my tank every day except for a couple of hours on the weekend. Man, my rocks look so much cleaner. There is plenty of day light that shines in at various parts of the day so the fish don't need flashlights yet. I've read about the sugar dosing, but vodka is easier to me to measure. I had an aquipure denitrator, but it was too much fiddle for me to keep the drip flow rate correct. So I will keep giving them the Russian love for now and see if I get up to 20 ml a day or something crazy.

DamnPepShrimp
01/29/2009, 11:35 AM
Flameangel, nope! You want him, you gotta come get him! No nets or buckets, just bare hands! Give me some time in advance when your coming, I'll be sure to put him on a little hunger strike for ya so he's a challenge!

Dan, how do you dose vodka? I found a link on it, but didn't give a great method of doing it. From what I understand, you add a little more each day, but then your expected to see a huge drop in nitrates, then you cut the amount in half to dose? I dunno, I gotta find some things to read up on it, and sugar. Please keep me updated about your dosing, I wonder if that much vodka effects them? Hopefully your nitrates drop soon!

fltt
01/29/2009, 12:07 PM
DPS, angels are doing great thanks. Yea I can't wait I have to revise the sump one more time micro bubbles( add filter socks).
I will post some pics after the cycle but before the rock work.

I wish I used a rubbermaid stocking tank instead of the 75g tank.
It would have been much easier for service reasons.

danorth
01/29/2009, 12:20 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

That is the article and method I followed. Yeah, I hope they drop too, but the mystery is how much can vodka drop nitrates vs how much my fish make.....If vodka can only reduce 10 ppm a week, and my fish produce 15 ppm a week, I will never see a reduction, just a slowing of the buildup buying me time between h20 changes.

flameangel88
01/29/2009, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14271155#post14271155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
Flameangel, nope! You want him, you gotta come get him! No nets or buckets, just bare hands! Give me some time in advance when your coming, I'll be sure to put him on a little hunger strike for ya so he's a challenge!

You got me there. Two fish I don't like sticking my hands in to service 1) eel--I know they 're pretty much blind but my old chainlink always find my hand when I'm not careful 2) lionfish--I used to have a fu man chu and it trys to avoid my hand but I'm always afraid I may hit it by accident.

Anyway, can't wait to see your trio of FAs. :)

DamnPepShrimp
01/29/2009, 01:54 PM
fltt, yeah the rubbermaid stock tanks work great. I have a 50g one as my sump and a 20g one inside that. I cut the 20g to the right height for my skimmer. It also holds my fuge until I get my bigger skimmer (MSX300) and setup a remote fuge (30b currently QT tank). Are you planning on adding any other fish? Mainly angels?

Dan, thanks for the link, I will follow those guidelines. I see what you mean by the reducing amount. How much can the fish take? I need to dose on my reef, the red cyano is getting a little crazy since I lost my kole tang.

Flameangel, yeah, venomous fish scare me, but I'd love to have a lionfish someday. My eel surprisingly has very good eye sight! He seems me as soon as I enter the room. I was just working on the tank, mainly the sump below and he followed me everywhere. He has quite the personality. Yeah, after I get my queen and french tuesday hopefully, I plan to get the trio of flames in QT next. I am waiting for a LFS to get 3 in at once. I can't wait to get some color into the tank, its so boring right now.

S4lt Lif3
01/29/2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting pics of the BDM, beautiful eel.

DamnPepShrimp
01/29/2009, 05:57 PM
No problem, thanks for the compliments.

fltt
01/29/2009, 07:10 PM
DPS, I plan on adding a Blue face angel. Not sure what other ones.
I also like tangs so I will be adding an orange shoulder.
I'm like you buy as a juvi and watch them grow.

DamnPepShrimp
01/29/2009, 11:23 PM
I love the blueface angels, but they are also pretty common. I was thinking about going with a bluering, but I have a couple locals selling emperors for cheap, so I may pick one up. I like tangs as well, but angels are definitely my number one. Keep me posted on the 300g.

fltt
01/30/2009, 04:41 AM
DPS, Look what a local reef club member is selling .... Price drop on the two remaining fish I have in my FOWLR.
6" adult Emperor $60.

I asked for a pic. I don't know where I would put it untill the 300g is ready.

Oh BTW the Bluering is awesome. I would give up a couple of others for that.

DamnPepShrimp
01/30/2009, 11:38 AM
Wow that is cheap! What is the other fish? There is a 6" adult emperor going for $125 here. The other fish (which I just received word I am getting :D ) is a 5" changing emperor and a 5" red sea salfin, both for $130. Here is the owners pics of the fish I should be getting on saturday!
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/emperor.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/DamnPepShrimp/redseasalfin.jpg

I love emps that are changing, I think they are the best looking then, instead of juvi or adult. Their colors seem to be the brightest then as well. I really wanted a red sea salfin too, but they were pricey. This works out perfect. I think the queen, french and doctorfish tang were put on hold. The GP wasn't ready yet. I am going to start planning my next upgrade now, then I'll get the bluering angel.

Brandon M
01/30/2009, 01:43 PM
Awesome changing emperor!

fltt
01/30/2009, 06:48 PM
The other fish is a niger trigger. Wow DPS the emp and sailfin are awesome. When are you getting them?

fltt
01/30/2009, 06:50 PM
Here's the link to the thread and pic's of the emp i'm getting tomorrow.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1564010

DamnPepShrimp
01/30/2009, 08:13 PM
Brandon, thanks! I love changing emps! He's definitely going to be the boss off my tank.

Fltt, nice fish! Are you getting the Niger too? Wonder how your French will take to the emperor? Be sure to add the fish into the 300g carefully. I'm hopefully getting the emp and tang Sunday. Looks like we will have pretty similar angels! What's thedimemsions on the 300g again? I'm already looking to upgrade, within this year maybe, think I've decided on a 96x36x27 400g.

elecbzerk
01/30/2009, 09:44 PM
I love your tank DPS! the emp is AWESOME!

DamnPepShrimp
01/30/2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks! Should be getting the emperor this sunday! Very excited! The french angel and doctorfish tang are coming wednesday (they will go into QT, salfin and emp won't since they have been in captivity for 3 years) but they didn't have a queen :( I am working with the company to get one though, they have a large 6" one, but that is too much for me. Well see, I will keep everyone updated!

danorth
01/30/2009, 11:10 PM
Sweet looking fish DPS!

DamnPepShrimp
01/30/2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks! Looks like I am going to have to start dosing vodka asap! I gotta make a run to the liquor store, kind of weird since I don't drink!

Seems like I won't be able to get the queen angel now, but I may just wait until next weekend when one is available, well see. Kind of bummed about that since it's my favorite fish. I'll keep everyone updated. Atleast I get the emperor and salfin sunday!

Grouperhead
01/30/2009, 11:18 PM
Can't wait to see the emp and sailfin. Both look very healthy in those pics.

DamnPepShrimp
01/30/2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I am excited! I love changing emps, I will be sure to post pics when I get them. I am a little bummed about the queen, maybe I will wait for them to get one in stock. I need a new camera for pics though, my iphone just isn't cutting it!

Grouperhead
01/30/2009, 11:27 PM
Do you know the emp's locale?

danorth
01/30/2009, 11:30 PM
I'll do the heavy drinking for ya!

elecbzerk
01/30/2009, 11:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14284068#post14284068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by danorth
I'll do the heavy drinking for ya!

LOL...I'll help too. we can make it a dosing party

DamnPepShrimp
01/30/2009, 11:35 PM
Nope, I don't know where he is from but he has bright colors judging by the pic. I'd love for it to have a streamer, but it's doubtful. And for the price ($80) I doubt its a xmas island. Still not bad though, and the salfin for $50 either, for around here atleast.

Dan and elecbzerk, you two do that! Haha, I only drink over the summer when I am at the beach! For now, it is get back into shape for the summer! I still have to do a little more reading up on the vodka dosing. It's sad, but at the moment I don't want to spend the $12 on the vodka until I know I have enough money for all these fish. Getting a new job in the next few months, so when that happens, I will be completely fine with fish stuff, time for an upgrade then!

Oh btw, dan you want to drink popov? I love my fish, but they definitely aren't getting the goose!

fltt
01/31/2009, 04:32 AM
Fltt, nice fish! Are you getting the Niger too? Wonder how your French will take to the emperor? Be sure to add the fish into the 300g carefully. I'm hopefully getting the emp and tang Sunday. Looks like we will have pretty similar angels! What's thedimemsions on the 300g again? I'm already looking to upgrade, within this year maybe, think I've decided on a 96x36x27 400g.

The french is pretty good he dosn't bother my townsend or koran so Im hoping he leaves the emp alone also. No my friend is getting the trigger I alredy have a blue throat my next trig will be a crosshatch or Hawaiian Black Trigger. The Dim are 96"x24"x30". I am putting the top layer of my sand bed from the 150 and all my LR (170lbs.) into the 300 plus my protein skimmer and all pads. I run bio balls in my 150g now but they will not go over to the 300g. I am going to put cheto and LR rubble in the sump for extra filteration.

DamnPepShrimp
01/31/2009, 11:58 AM
You like the tall tanks huh? That is good about your french, I'm surprised he isn't more bossy. Hopefully it all goes well with the emp. Are you adding him to the 150g or waiting for the 300g? I would def get rid of the bio balls and put in rubble along with a fuge/cheato. Thats how I run all my tanks. Maybe start look into dosing vodka. I plan on trying it.

fltt
02/01/2009, 04:29 AM
I've read a little on vodka dosing but never tried. I need to research more before doing it.

The EMP is great took to the 150g fine, ate last night also.
The French is double the Emps. size. The French chased the Emp around the tank for about 20 min. then left him alone. But when feeding time came the French backed him into a cave in the corner. But the Emp is bold and still comes out to feed regaurdless of being chased. Good thing the Emp fits into smaller spots.
NO bittting just chasing, we will see what today brings.

Did you pick up Your Emp yet? I will try to get pics of mine today.

Floyd

DamnPepShrimp
02/01/2009, 08:55 AM
Floyd, yeah, I have quite a few experiences with mixing angels, there will almost always be a pecking order. That emp is 6" so your French is huge, looks that way from the pics. Keep me posted on how it goes. I should be getting my emp today. Will try to post pics. When do you think the 300g will have fish in it? The French will definitely have to go last.

fltt
02/01/2009, 01:14 PM
The 300g is cycling with a red sea sailfin LLD bad a cinnamon clown, and a blue devil damsel. My friend was tring to get rid of all three and asked if I would take them...so I said I would. I wouldn't mind keeping the red sea sailfin just not sure if the LLD is curable at this point. But the clown is outta there. +1 on the French being last.

DamnPepShrimp
02/01/2009, 02:33 PM
I just got my fish! They look much better in person. The colors on the emp are insane! Brightest I've ever seen probably! The red sea salfin is perfect! I also scored a yellow belly hippo tang! I was going to put that one in the reef, but it was used to the 210g they guy had (same dimensions as mine) so I didn't want him feeling left out. So they all are acclimating to the 210g now! Can't wait! I am just worried about adding fish after them. I have the queen, french, and doctorfish coming into QT hopefully in a week or so. I didn't QT these fish because the guy had them for 3 years, so they are healthy. I don't believe you can fully get rid of ich, but everything else I treat for. Hope to post pics later tonight! Very excited!

fltt
02/01/2009, 04:43 PM
Nice DSP can't wait to see the pics we can compare Emps.

fltt
Nice DSP can't wait to see the pics we cam compare Emps.

fltt
Nice DSP can't wait to see the pics we can compare Emps.

DamnPepShrimp
02/01/2009, 05:09 PM
I just took a few pics of the trio on my phone, they are the best pics I could get. I will post a new thread in a few.

MatthewLaw
02/01/2009, 05:15 PM
very excited to see them!