PDA

View Full Version : nitrates

flower
01/28/2009, 12:28 PM
Hey everyone,
I posted on here a few weeks ago about having a high nitrate problem. I had a protein skimmer that had not produced anything for about 7 months. I had been doing my water changes 1 time a week with water from my LFS( 20 gallons ) my nitrates were testing to be over 200 ppm!!!
I replaced my protien skimmer with a new one and have been getting my water from a different fish store. (My other fish store went out of buisness). I tested my water today and it is now between 40 and 60 ppm!!!
I don't know if it is getting lower from the new skimmer or the better water but I am definatly excited about it. I am doing another water change on Sunday and will test again next week.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and let them know that it worked!!!!
My fishies thank you also!!
-Heather

kstallbe
01/28/2009, 12:55 PM
Woo hoo! Congrats!!!

MileHighFish
01/28/2009, 02:00 PM
Heather there are many, many good LFS in Orange County I would buy a bucket of salt and a Ro/Di and make your own water to ensure the quality. If you dont want to spend the $$ on the Ro unit at least buy a TDS meter and water from a "water vendor" they are all over and most will test the water in front of you so you know its good. This would help bring your tank down to zero!! Good luck..

flower
01/28/2009, 02:15 PM
Good advice mile high fish.
Thanks