PDA

View Full Version : What is Live Sand?

Northern
01/28/2009, 03:33 PM
Hi.
Another really noobish question.
What is Live Sand? Do I need it for a new system? How is it different from a regular sea sand and is it anything like Live Rock?

chrisp074
01/28/2009, 03:56 PM
Live sand is nothing more than sand with microfauna/flora and bacteria in it. Plain old sand can become "live sand" if innoculated with Live rock or small amounts of sand with desired critters in it.

Northern
01/28/2009, 04:02 PM
So, I understand I don't need to worry about it if I plan to use a Live Rock, and simply harvest regular sea sand for the tank bed?

Sk8r
01/28/2009, 04:06 PM
use Caribsea Aragonite. You don't know what-all has gotten into sea sand you get ffrom the beach: remember that tide functions as the ocean's skimmer/toilet, and that washes up on the sand. You need 1-2 lbs per display gallon of porous live rock and 1 lb of aragonite sand. I recommend medium grade. It stays put better than fine sand. Lay down rock first, then sand; and I recommend a little base rock underneath it so you don't bury your better rock: under THAT, I recommend eggcrate lighting grid, to protect your bottom glass against a rock fall.

cdbias2
01/28/2009, 04:49 PM
Sk8r
Heading says he's from Israel. Caribsea might not be an option.
Also says he's into scuba diving so he should be able to collect off shore far enough.

monotreme_man
01/28/2009, 04:54 PM
sk8er,

won't eggcrate create lots of little voids and make lifer haredr for borrowing detrivores?
isn't there something flatter like the prismatic translucnet sheet that goes over flourescents?

cdbias2
01/28/2009, 05:08 PM
eggcrate is actually a flourescent light diffuser. Many people use this to protect the bottom glass under the sand.
I have never heard of rock falling and breaking the bottom glass but I think it's just everyones nightmare. I think it's almost like a myth that everone is sure its true. LOL

Sisterlimonpot
01/28/2009, 05:15 PM
I always wondered why people used egg crates on the bottom. Can I use play ground sand for substrate?

Gechav
01/28/2009, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14264421#post14264421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Northern
Hi.
Another really noobish question.
What is Live Sand? Do I need it for a new system? How is it different from a regular sea sand and is it anything like Live Rock?

Hi Northern,

Live sand, or LS is natural reef coral sand that is collected live from the ocean, or non-living coral sand that is cultured to make it live. What makes it live is the microscopic biological bacteria that grows on it, and the many tiny crustaceans and other micro and macro-organisms that reside in it. Live sand can serve as the main base for biological filtration in a saltwater aquarium, while the organisms help consume organic matter in the sand bed. Some of the organisms provide a natural food source for many aquarium inhabitants as well.

The live sand is very, very important!!!!