PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with my cycle???

stricknine
01/28/2009, 06:08 PM
Its day 9 now, and cant figure out whats going on with my readings. Here's the scoop: Bought rock mail order (1 week delivery), had it in a rubbermaid with heat and circulation for 6 weeks or so, and setting up the tank the rock was dry for about 3 hours or so.

Readings on Day 3;
Ammonia - >0.01 mg/l
Nitrate - >5 mg/l
Nitrite - >0.01 mg/l

Readings on Day 8;
Ammonia - 0.00 mg/l
Nitrate - n/a-2.0 mg/l
Nitrite - 0.0-0.1 mg/l

Also, after not really reading ammonia after day 3, I threw a bit of food and a few spoons of sand from my existing tank.

Am I cycled? Is my Live rock actually DEAD rock? I cant figure out why there is no readings at all, and 10 days shouldn't be enough to cycle, unless my rock curing for 6 weeks or so was enough??

I'm stumped.

cdbias2
01/28/2009, 06:16 PM
After 1 week I would think everything died.
After 6 weeks curing in a rubbermaid tub, I'd think it was cured.
Where life, as far as copapods or anything, I'm not sure where it would come from.
I think you could have a good biologic population, just not sure about a critter population.

stricknine
01/28/2009, 06:20 PM
Correct, no critters seen yet.

So in your opinion I am cycled, ready to stock? Any other checks I can do?

Thanks.

cdbias2
01/28/2009, 06:24 PM
The only thing that I would stock is a cup or two of sand and rock rubble from a friends tank and then wait a little longer.
Maybe a couple of hermits if your getting board.

Sisterlimonpot
01/28/2009, 06:25 PM
seems like its cycling. it's possible that you had your amm spike within day 3-8. however after reading it again it could be that the 6 weeks of curing already got your nitrafication cycle complete. and what your reading now is a little die off from the rock being out of the tank for 3 hours. give it another couple weeks and see what happens. Did you test the water when you were curing the rock?

stricknine
01/28/2009, 06:43 PM
I did test ammonia a few times, spiked and started to drop off so I didnt bother with too much testing. Wasn't really worried about the rock tank as I thought I'd go through the nitrogen cycle anyways after I set up the DT.

I cant figure if I'm cycled, or if the cycle hasnt even started.

stricknine
01/28/2009, 08:21 PM
BUMP!

I know there is other opinions out there!

THANKS!

Sisterlimonpot
01/28/2009, 08:24 PM
Best thing is to be patient. I think that you are cycled but give it a couple weeks to make sure it's stabilized.

stricknine
01/28/2009, 08:33 PM
The patience is there, but I decided to throw feedings in to the tank to try to raise my ammonia levels. If I cant force the ammonia levels, I will assume the beneficial bacteria is there to stay.

As for the critters, how can I introduce a pod population, or brittle stars, all the beneficial hitchhikers someone wants in the tank?

THANKS!

jesseakruger
01/28/2009, 08:36 PM
patients is key daniel son. I might throw a couple cheap damsels or blue chromis in there. It helps the cycle and gives you something to take care of for a while before you spend some serious cheese

Sisterlimonpot
01/28/2009, 08:50 PM
Usually you can get pods from your lfs. (you can here anyway) toss them in there and they will naturally go to the rocks. or go buy 1 or 2 pieces of lr from the lfs it will be slow but it will increase over time. I wouldn't put hardy fish in to start the cycle (if in fact it hasn't started). You can do it the way you said.... add some food and see if the amm. spikes. IMO best humane way

Sisterlimonpot
01/28/2009, 08:51 PM
i don't know about brittle stars (little ones anyway) for sale

Reverend Reefer
01/28/2009, 09:04 PM
vodka? maybe the bacteria is too cold up here and needs a lil night cap to keep warm.

Sisterlimonpot
01/28/2009, 09:10 PM
some for the fish and some for me? warm us all up!!

stricknine
01/28/2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks all.

Read a bit on the vodka bit but didnt have a few weeks spare time to go over it all.

Bad idea to let fish cycle the sys. A lot of threads around here about using fish to cycle, not my preferred way of doing it. Food is req'd, not the fish.

Anyways, will keep doing what Im at and post the test results if it keeps being wierd. Thought someone in the RC world would have seen the same thing and let me know if cycle is underway or not.

Thanks all.