PDA

View Full Version : will carbon last forever with ozone ?

anglecoral
01/28/2009, 07:50 PM
I use ozone in my skimmer and put carbon in the cup on top to remove the smell. I figured it would only last a month or so before I had to change it but a friend told me that it might last forever since the carbon isn’t actually capturing anything and only serving as a catalyst for a reaction. Anyone know if that’s an accurate thought ?

I’m guessing the carbon on the fluid end of the skimmer will need to be changed since the pores will get clogged , lose surface area and become less effective ?

Lastly when he told me that it was a catalyst for some type of reaction it got me thinking about catalytic carbon people use for removing chloramines. Would this work better than the pellets I am using now or am I just confusing terms and the actual reactions that are taking place ? http://www.calgoncarbon.com/carbon_products/documents/Centaur4x6.pdf

Billybeau1
01/29/2009, 12:59 AM
Your friend is not too far off.

Normally, the carbon used in the protection of ozone can be a very low grade carbon and only needs to be changed out once every 6 months or so.

This has more to do with the collection of gunk that surrounds the carbon than anything else.

Second question, I think you are confusing terms.

What brand pellets are you using now ?

anglecoral
01/29/2009, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure what I'm using, just some pellets I got at the petco.

So eventually the carbon will get depleted due to the impurities in the air coming through the top of the skimmer and I should change it out a couple times a year.

That carbon from the link wont necessarily function any better that my petco brand ? Guess after reading the description i thought it might since it says "Centaur 4x6 is a vapor phase carbon that has been manufactured to develop catalytic functionality and promotes a reaction on the surface of the pores" I guess I don't know where I would get that stuff anyways. Google didn’t come up with anything so it’s kind of a mute point.

My concern is for the health of my family of course. Since I don’t smell it right now I’m not real concerned but Id hate to have a few bucks worth of carbon be reason anyone in my family has health issues. Since it lasts so long I really wouldn’t mind paying a few extra bucks a year to use the best option available. Sounds like it doesn’t make any difference though and I will keep using whatever cheep pellets are at the store.

Boomer
01/29/2009, 12:17 PM
As Billy stated your friend is not far off. First, it is really not a ture catalyst, as a catalyst just changes the rate of reaction but with no reaction really taking place. Meaning, it just speeds it up so it takes place faster. The ozone acts the carbon surface and oxidizes it which causes it to drop 1 O form the O3, where the O combines with C to give CO*. However, it still needs to be change out as there is more than just ozone going through it. There will be humidity, which will carry some salt sprays from the skimmer as bubbles pop at the cup surface. As long as there is no ozone smell at the skimmer vent it is good. Me, I would change it out 4 times / year, as it is cheap to do so.

Lastly when he told me that it was a catalyst for some type of reaction it got me thinking about catalytic carbon people use for removing chloramines. Would this work better than the pellets I am using now

Yes, by far as this is what these carbons where developed for. Chlorine and Chloramine react in the same fashion as ozone. The Chlorine reacts with the carbon surface, converts Chlorine to Chloride and produces CO* also. The real meaning here, in GAC, is not only to it increase the rate of reaction to a degree, it is more on the order there is more "active surface area" to react with than non-catalytic carbon GAC. This all means that with cheap GAC you will need more for the skimmer vent cup.