PDA

View Full Version : HELP... Do or Don't? (Zoa Frags from Tank w/ Flat Worms)

Johnny C
01/29/2009, 01:33 AM
I know a guy locally who is breaking down his tank due to personal reasons. He has a BEAUTIFUL setup with lots of different types of corals. I'm looking to build up my zoa collection but the problem is that his tank is infested with these (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WormPIX/FlatwormPIX/flatworm_pic_to_WWM.jpg) flatworms. I've read a bit about them and apparently that specific type tends to be harmless. I don't usually dip and not sure how to do it but would be willing to do so if it was well worth it.

ANY/ALL advice is GREATLY appriciated. If I'm going to get them it will be on Friday so the sooner I know, the better. Thanks! :)

L98-Z
01/29/2009, 06:22 AM
Sure, just tell the person to drop $20.00 off the cost so you can buy some flatworm exit. Then perform a very good QT.

KRASHPD
01/29/2009, 07:01 AM
Seriously, dipping corals is not a big deal and a monkey could do it. Get some Revive or Tropic Marin's Pro Coral Cure and dip the zoa's. If you can, put them in a temporary tank for a couple days with a light and then dip them again. The temporaty tank can be just a rubbermaid container with a PC light over it and a powerhead in it. Zoa's are pretty hardy and usually have no problems being dipped. You should actually do it with all your corals if you don't do it already. After that you are probably safe to put them in the tank with no flatworms.

Jeremy Blaze
01/29/2009, 07:52 AM
Flatworm Exit works well. Just dip them all before adding to the tank.

Tswifty
01/29/2009, 10:14 AM
Just dip the corals.

Johnny C
01/29/2009, 06:43 PM
BUMP.

sunfish11
01/29/2009, 07:02 PM
As they said just dip the coral in flatworm exit by Salifert. I usually do a double strength and haven't seen and adverse effects to coral. Let the coral sit in the solution for 15-30 minutes and you are fine. If you really want to keep FW out of your tank then you should do this with all frags. You can't always see them.

Lisa

mfinn
01/29/2009, 07:09 PM
Flatworm Exit does work very well.
Get the corals and do the dip.

GoingPostal
01/29/2009, 07:24 PM
Honestly for zoas you could just freshwater dip, that will drop the flatworms off as well and doesn't cost a thing. FE works well too, I would take a baster and baste the heck out of the frags to get any hiding in crevices and rock. They are ugly but harmless, problem is once they are in your tank it may take a few doses to get rid of them fully.

L98-Z
01/30/2009, 06:22 AM
I thought Flatworm exit only kills the live ones, any eggs (do they have eggs?) will still be around, and thus capable of being introduced to your tank.

If not, that makes things much easier.

tims28gnano
01/30/2009, 07:37 AM
i had a frag covered by them, did a fresh RO/DI dip for about 8 minutes. cleared all flat worms and brittle stars ans such. unfortunatley it did kill a few - - - ok, a lot, of the colony. but about a month later and i have faith that it will repopulate!

good luck!

Bernie21
01/30/2009, 08:40 AM
I RoDi Dip all of my Zoas, and never have any adverse effects on them, I swear Zoas are bullet proof...
I would get them, ask for a lower price though & make sure you QT em before they go to the DT, its hard to treat once they're in there already...

Amoore311
01/30/2009, 09:20 AM
No reason not to get them. Flatworm Exit anything that goes into your tank. All it takes is 1 or 2 drops in an acclimation bucket and you're good to go.