PDA

View Full Version : Reefin' in Dubai

puckeater1
01/29/2009, 04:25 AM
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi and start my first thread. I just moved to Dubai and have set up a 200G tank. my problem over here is finding inverts to purchase. They havent really matured here on the whole invert front and its vertually impossible to find any stores to purchase. I was wondering if anyone in the area knew where to buy them as i dont want to take them from the gulf (pollution in the waters near dubai is bad) . Also if anyone can direct me to a good company that i could order them direct possibly from the far east so they would make it here ok. I tried shippin via fedex from the states and 1 out of 10 survived, pretty much throwing 600 dollars down the toilet. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also if anyone is in the area and wants to part out some coral i would be happy to set something up.

Thanks all!
NAz

nsyahron
01/29/2009, 08:56 AM
Hi,
I'm from Abu Dhabi. I'm interested to restart the hobby after a 2 year hiatus. It would good if fellow expats in the UAE could share places to go to buy stuff and livestock.

cheers

JillNairn
11/27/2009, 08:32 AM
Just got to Dubai a few weeks ago. Trying to figure out where to get things for a small reef tank. ANY INFO is appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/27/2009, 08:57 AM
[welcome]

I know there are a number of reefers here from Dubai, so you might search on "dubai" to find them. :)

thebanker
11/27/2009, 10:51 AM
I smell a business opportunity here!

maroun.c
11/27/2009, 06:17 PM
Hi ,
spent 2-3 years in Dubai and moved back to Lebanon around 2 years ago.
what types of tanks are you considering?

some shops:

Pet Land Dubai Al quoz area tel +97143384040
Ask about Daniello (might not remember me but mention the guy who flies in from Lebanon and travels with corals...) they regularly get nice collections fo fish and soft corals...

World of fishies +97143966002 also nice collections of fish and soft corals on regular basis

Creature Oasis +97143442154 been there twice and they had no stocks. multiple shops near this one (Iranian Hospital region)

Another shop in Abu Dhabi
Reef of fish nice collections of fish (only one who has yellow tangs for example as well as other tangs) Each time I was there they had very nice clams. Try to contact the owner as he's not usually int he store and he might be able to provide you with LPS I also foudn some SPS there once. don't have the phone number or exact address on hand but it's in AbuDhabi near Helwayat el sham you will try to get you exact address and contact if you can't find it online.

Was also told that there is a shop in sharja that is the distributor for Aquamedic and other high quality stuff... this one might also have SPS LPS will check for name and address.

I wouldn't adivse using the low quality equipment soldin some stores in Dubai (or other countries as you really don't want to kill all your tank because of a stuck heater or pump... so I would suggest contacting that store in sharjah as he will have good quality equipment.
We have a distributor for Tunze Aquarium systems and Aquamedic here so if you need some equipment and can't locate it in UAE I could always take some with me when I go to Dubai as I'm there very frequently. NExt trip should be around mid Jan 2010.
Check out my build thread when you have some time or feel free to contact me by PM or email if you need further info.

JillNairn
11/27/2009, 06:46 PM
Thank you so much! That will help alot!!!

jimmycent
11/27/2009, 07:04 PM
Although not in Dubai, but close what appears to be a pretty good shop with freshwater planted tanks impressive marine tanks is.

http://www.aquaart.com.qa/

Located in Doha, Qatar

I havent ever been there but will be visiting my parents in Qatar over Christmas so will be checking it out. Dont know if they would be able to send you stock if they had it. From what I believe its only an hours flight?

Haksar
11/28/2009, 11:06 AM
The choices in Dubai is very limited since we don't get any famous brand names except aquamedic and koralia.But this brands are quite over priced.We can pitch in among all as a group and bring stuff as cargo from abroad except LIVE stuff because customs issues is a pain.

Maroun c..how is the price of Tunze in Lebanon.Most of the guys mentioned are still there but no quality stuff.In terms of corals mostly LPS and oncer again over priced.

We have a group of few members so if you are interested let us know.

kkil4life
11/28/2009, 12:35 PM
before you guys get into buying livestock, which you should have guessed is a pain here, I suggest you guys get some GFO (its like gold here), NOT ONE SHOP here has GFO.
They stuff they have for phosphates, Randy/boomer/highlandreefer have told me they are crap.
Since you guys have just arrived, your family or frinds back in the states should be able to get you some, so stock up
that being said, welcome to reefcentral and welcome to dubai
if you guys need any info pm me, I already replied to Jillnarin's pm.

and a final word of advice, QUARANTINE
very very important if you are going to be getting fish here

JillNairn
11/28/2009, 03:57 PM
I am wanting to get something similar to a biocube or nano cube, in the 24 to 28 gallon range. I have off tommorrow, so will just have to go look what is here... Lots of good info from everyone, thanks!!

Someone on dubizzle had a skimmer that was not a good quality for a very unreasonable price for buying that thing new. So, I figured it was tough to get things here locally. Dr Foster and Smith will ship to APO addys. If someone wants something, they would just have to prepay. I wouldnt mind including them on my orders.

GFO?? Phosphate removers?? Is there a specific reason, like water quality here? I usually ordered supplies from bulkreefsupply.com I know they had a phosphate remover there that was quite popular with other members of maast when we did group orders. I already wrote them to see if they would continue doing orders for me to an apo. Waiting to hear back. If not, dr fosters is always a good reliable source.

maroun.c
11/28/2009, 11:20 PM
Haksar,

verything is outrageously overexpensive here too. But sometimes there is no other choice when yo uned something urgent... I can easily have it shipped from the states or Europ to Lebanon but then shipping customs and tax on customs (50%) makes it very close if not more expensive than prices here. On the other hnd I travel very frequently and ship my corals and most of my equipment from travels.
I don't think corals and fish prices are overexpensiev in Dubai AbuDhabi... On the oppsoite they are much cheaper than here and especially than Europe. I remember buying a rock filled with Ricordeas for 45 AED which is less than the price of a single Ricordea in USA or Europe... For skimmers the only "acceptable" skimmer I have seen in UAE was in the shop in Abu Shabi and that was a Reefoctocpus however that one came with a chinese pump and not the Askoll pump they come with. I remember hearing that most skimmer bodys are done in China so maybe get that skimmer and somehow atach it to a decent skimmer pump like the askoll or maybe the Eheim...
The shop in Sharjah sells the Turbofloater Shorty but I guess it's around 800 USD and when I think that I got my Hurricone CAt 1 for less than that it becomes really a bad choioce still it's a decent skimmer for a medium size tank and moderate load...

We have a group of few members so if you are interested let us know.

Do you have a club or any meetings? I would be glad to meet with you when in Dubai.

Haksar
11/28/2009, 11:38 PM
maroun.c

We do not have a club but have a few friends looking to provide the best stuff for our tank so we shop together.Ricordias and Zoanthids are reasonable but SPS/Acans/scolys are rare and expensive.

JillNairn,

Wate quality for reef is not that great with TDS of tape water running to 190-220.With a decent RO/DI yes we can bring it down to zero but getting a DI is a pain.I got mine from BKK.

JillNairn
11/29/2009, 03:24 AM
Right now, dr foster has free shipping... and that applies to apo addresses as well. I dont get taxed or fees. It just goes through the us postal system ?? Other countries do not have something similar set up. Excuse my nativity. I lived in europe when I was younger, but am not a world traveler.

I have a small fish store of equipment in my storage unit back home. Depending on what size tank I decide on (Dr foster and smith will ship me a nano cube up to 28 gallons ?? just not too sure how well a glass tank is going to make it coming through the mail), I can just have my parents go dig and find me an appropriate sized skimmer. I have had down from a 2.5, to larger nanos, to mid level 60 gallon cubes, all the way up to 180 gallons. I am partial to euro reef skimmers. I am jus wanting to keep this simple so will not want to do sps corals. All my Tunzes are big sized but the tunze distributor for usa is in Austin, Tx where I am from and can get it from there at really good prices.

I work weekends, and today is my first of my three days off. I am going to go and try to find a few of these fish stores and see what I can find... I am in the Jebel Ali area, so they all seem to be a bit far away, and in places iI do not know. I would also love to meet up with any of the local reefers.

kkil4life
11/29/2009, 03:54 AM
Right now, dr foster has free shipping... and that applies to apo addresses as well. I dont get taxed or fees. It just goes through the us postal system ?? Other countries do not have something similar set up. Excuse my nativity. I lived in europe when I was younger, but am not a world traveler.

I have a small fish store of equipment in my storage unit back home. Depending on what size tank I decide on (Dr foster and smith will ship me a nano cube up to 28 gallons ?? just not too sure how well a glass tank is going to make it coming through the mail), I can just have my parents go dig and find me an appropriate sized skimmer. I have had down from a 2.5, to larger nanos, to mid level 60 gallon cubes, all the way up to 180 gallons. I am partial to euro reef skimmers. I am jus wanting to keep this simple so will not want to do sps corals. All my Tunzes are big sized but the tunze distributor for usa is in Austin, Tx where I am from and can get it from there at really good prices.

I work weekends, and today is my first of my three days off. I am going to go and try to find a few of these fish stores and see what I can find... I am in the Jebel Ali area, so they all seem to be a bit far away, and in places iI do not know. I would also love to meet up with any of the local reefers.

Jill, a really good place near jebel ali is aquarium concepts, I don't have their number but they are located in dubai investment park, they have a huge warehouse and always have good fish in stock.
They just opened a new branch, its inside the dubai garden centre on sheikh zayed road, (they just have a few tanks there) but at least u can have a look

kkil4life
11/29/2009, 03:55 AM
haksar, where do u get ricordia?
I would love to get some nice ricordia

Haksar
11/29/2009, 05:13 AM
haksar, where do u get ricordia?
I would love to get some nice ricordia

Got it from Pet Land,some time back.May be I was just lucky to get a good piece.

Haksar
11/29/2009, 05:14 AM
Jill, a really good place near jebel ali is aquarium concepts, I don't have their number but they are located in dubai investment park, they have a huge warehouse and always have good fish in stock.
They just opened a new branch, its inside the dubai garden centre on sheikh zayed road, (they just have a few tanks there) but at least u can have a look

Last I heard about aquarium concepts was they had to close down due to low volumes.

Haksar
11/29/2009, 05:19 AM

Luck you,so you have all the accessories.I stay in JBR so you can call me.Tomorrow there is a new shipment of live fish coming in Ajman,I may go there in the morning,so if you are free we can go together.But quarantine is a MUST for all fish bought from most of the LFS here becaue of poor water quality maintnenace.

You can call me on 050-6547160.

JillNairn
11/29/2009, 08:07 AM
Thank you so much. I will be some time before adding fish.. I went and drove for 3 hours.. and didnt find one of the places I 'thought' I could find. So, not even a tank or the decision if I am just having one sent over... :( I get lost here alot, very easily.

maroun.c
11/29/2009, 08:23 AM
Thank you so much. I will be some time before adding fish.. I went and drove for 3 hours.. and didnt find one of the places I 'thought' I could find. So, not even a tank or the decision if I am just having one sent over... :( I get lost here alot, very easily.

I lived in Dubai for close to 3 years and still got lost very frequently (if that makes you feel better) I'm still on GPS every time I'm in Dubai.
which store did you try going to?

JillNairn
11/29/2009, 08:42 AM
I wanted to find the one in sharjah and the pet zone. I tried to find pet zone, because it suppose to be off sheik zayed road, next to Al Mazaya Center. Didnt work either. I was going to find the other pet land that is next to an international school, but I gave up.

prawdzwr
11/29/2009, 08:53 AM
Hey
I am in Saudi working for aramco. I get all my fish and food from Aqualife Centre in Bahrain. I don't know if the drive is feesible for you but they are a great store and when they do bring in stock - maybe every 3 months or so, they bring lots and a great variety. Aqualife Center([email protected]) Andy E. Arendtsz([email protected]) Here's a couple of emails. if you do decide to make the trip touch base with them to make sure you are getting here when they are stocked up.

argileh
11/29/2009, 09:11 AM
I live in Abu Dhabi and set up my 120g last March. As many already mentioned, equipment are of very bad quality here. I ordered ALL equipment and stuff online from Germany (skimmer, pumps, power heads, MHI's, RO/DI, additives, etcc). The only thing I got locally is the tank and stand. I even ordered Tropic Marine Pro Reef salt online from Germany. Paid dearly for shipping but the best option here is Instant Ocean (good for fish only tanks).

There is a good variety of livestock, two reliable shops. Others have some but do not know what they are selling.

Let me know if you want details of the shops.

maroun.c
11/29/2009, 09:19 AM
I wanted to find the one in sharjah and the pet zone. I tried to find pet zone, because it suppose to be off sheik zayed road, next to Al Mazaya Center. Didnt work either. I was going to find the other pet land that is next to an international school, but I gave up.

Pet zone shuldn't be that difficult to find as it's just on the service road on Sheikh zayed just take the serive road and kep driving on it till you pass it by. Pet land is close to an international school but it's like in the mid of no where you could drive just next to it without seeing it as it's separated fromt eh road by around 10-15 meters of sand you have to drive through...

maroun.c
11/29/2009, 09:25 AM
I live in Abu Dhabi and set up my 120g last March. As many already mentioned, equipment are of very bad quality here. I ordered ALL equipment and stuff online from Germany (skimmer, pumps, power heads, MHI's, RO/DI, additives, etcc). The only thing I got locally is the tank and stand. I even ordered Tropic Marine Pro Reef salt online from Germany. Paid dearly for shipping but the best option here is Instant Ocean (good for fish only tanks).

There is a good variety of livestock, two reliable shops. Others have some but do not know what they are selling.

Let me know if you want details of the shops.

Can you please send me the details of those shops?
Would have used Instant ocean and supplemented with some Ca and Mg as that's all it misses...

Haksar
11/29/2009, 10:08 AM
Hey
I am in Saudi working for aramco. I get all my fish and food from Aqualife Centre in Bahrain. I don't know if the drive is feesible for you but they are a great store and when they do bring in stock - maybe every 3 months or so, they bring lots and a great variety. Aqualife Center([email protected]) Andy E. Arendtsz([email protected]) Here's a couple of emails. if you do decide to make the trip touch base with them to make sure you are getting here when they are stocked up.

prawdzwr..do they sell SPS,if so then don't mind travelling to BAH.

argileh
11/29/2009, 10:23 AM
Can you please send me the details of those shops?
Would have used Instant ocean and supplemented with some Ca and Mg as that's all it misses...

- Reef of Fish (you already know)
- Wonder Sea Fish in Khalidiya (recently renovated)
- Sea Secrets in Mina area (good variety but not knowlegable staff)

I was using IO salt and adding Ca and Mg, but given that IO has Ca at 300 and Mg at 1050, I needed a LOT of supplement. Besides, after using TM Pro Reef and seeing how quick it dissolves without any residue, I wont turn back.

kkil4life
11/29/2009, 10:55 AM
argileh, could you give a little more details of locations of the shops or if possible the tel numbers?

btw, wonder sea fish is a dealer for aquac. Thats what steve from aquac told me, but I just could not get their right nubmer, so I ended up ordering directly from aquac.

btw, for salt we don't get much, but you can try marinium the ca is about 400, mg I didn't test
theres also SERA REEF, not the sera normal, but I haven't found it so far.
The next best seems to be HW salt from world of fishes, apparently its the TUNZE salt rebranded.

Jill, if u live in jebel ali and want to get to the fish stores, do this.
Get onto sheikh zayed road, just after you cross the barsha toll gate take the right heading towards mall of the emirates, don't enter mall of the emirates but keep on that road. Now you will see a petrol station, mcdonalds and pan emirates on your right. So now you know ur on the right road, keep going straight till u get to a signal. Make a U turn and after 100m park on your right. You've reached pets plus. congratulations :)

once you're done with that, get back on the road, you will need to take a right to get onto sheik zayed road, as soon as you are on the main highway, about 100m, take the right that goes into the service road. congratulations u've reached the dubai garden centre (aquarium concepts is inside).

again if ur done with that get onto sheikh zayed road goto mazaya centre, and between mazaya centre and safest way is pet zone.

If you want to find world of fishes (hes got good stock right now), wherever on sheikh zayed road you are, stay on your 3rd lane from the left. stay on this lane all the way till you reach trade centre. You will enter a 1st tunnel, stay on ur third lane.
As soon as you enter the second tunnel, shift to the left most lane. You will get to a signal. Take a left at the signal, and about 50m from the signal you will see baskin robbins and world of fishes. So far I've seen the best selection of fish with them, but they have ich ridden tanks.
I jsut got sweet lyretail anthias from him last week. he had a bamboo shark at the time as well IN THE SAME TANK. He is one of the only people who get mandarin fish regularly.
gets good angel fish, tangs, butterflys etc. But you definitely want to quarantine the fish.

I hope you now make it to ANY one of those shops.

btw, haksar, I don't mind making a quick trip to bahrain either?
lemme know if you find anything good there

kkil4life
11/29/2009, 10:57 AM
oh, by the way guys, I'm currently looking to get an OVERFLOW box, and i'm stuck?
any ideas?

maroun.c
11/29/2009, 10:59 AM
- Reef of Fish (you already know)
- Wonder Sea Fish in Khalidiya (recently renovated)
- Sea Secrets in Mina area (good variety but not knowlegable staff)

I was using IO salt and adding Ca and Mg, but given that IO has Ca at 300 and Mg at 1050, I needed a LOT of supplement. Besides, after using TM Pro Reef and seeing how quick it dissolves without any residue, I wont turn back.

Thanks for the info. Yes that is a lot to supplement but the question now is will you be able to ship salt repeatidly at that price. As I see on this thread there is a decent number of reefers in UAE so why not join in a group and do some group buy throgh one of the shops (decent salt, few skimmers, pumps, supplements, halides, T5s... ) just a one shot buy that allows everyone to startup and then maybe each will buy whatever he needs seperate...

Any stores in UAE selling some decent MH ballasts and reflectors? or T5s?

kkil4life
11/29/2009, 12:53 PM
for lights your best bet is a diy
you can get all the parts you need here except for the bulbs, that u'll really have to look around

JillNairn
11/29/2009, 01:58 PM
No one drills tanks here huh? I have drilling material at home... in storage. Its really not that hard to do.. Lots of water, flat surface, good drill, and go slow. Not hard at all. I practiced a bit on just spare ten gallon tanks before doing a real tank. I would rather crack a glass and have to replace and reseal then ever have to deal with an overflow again.

There is no extra fee for me to ship salt.. so I will get on that tonight ordering all supplies. I am waiting on ordering the nano until tommorrow.

Can I get something like a biocube here, with built in lighting that is suitable for a reef tank?

So, just an R/O unit is not good enough?

I will work on finding them in the morning :) Once I have a tank, this city dwelling life will be ALOT better.

johnw32
11/30/2009, 04:58 AM
hai......searching for new products..i found so many products and gadgets in amazon site.http://www.sharepic101.com/img/q/L.gif

JillNairn
11/30/2009, 05:00 AM
Does anyone know a supplier for acrylic here?

Haksar
11/30/2009, 05:17 AM
Does anyone know a supplier for acrylic here?

No supplier but there many who sell Chinese tanks.This are found in mostly all LFS.

JillNairn
11/30/2009, 05:20 AM
What do you guys do when you need custom sumps?

Haksar
11/30/2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the info. Yes that is a lot to supplement but the question now is will you be able to ship salt repeatidly at that price. As I see on this thread there is a decent number of reefers in UAE so why not join in a group and do some group buy throgh one of the shops (decent salt, few skimmers, pumps, supplements, halides, T5s... ) just a one shot buy that allows everyone to startup and then maybe each will buy whatever he needs seperate...

Any stores in UAE selling some decent MH ballasts and reflectors? or T5s?

I am game,I need to buy an ATO plus a Kalk reactor and 6 or 8 tube light T5 fixture to replace my existing fixture and also a Calcium reactor to replace my Korallin reactor.The list goes on..on.

Haksar
11/30/2009, 05:26 AM
oh, by the way guys, I'm currently looking to get an OVERFLOW box, and i'm stuck?
any ideas?

Best is DIY or try Petplus or Pet home.
I am in a fix whether to go for a 6 or 8 tube light T5 fixture or go for DIY fixture of 02 250W MH and 04 T5 fixture.T 5 can cut down bill during summer months and reduce heat as well.I need to get hold of a good carpenter for this. Do you know of any guys who make good DIY fixtures.

JillNairn
11/30/2009, 05:33 AM
I dont know what size tank you have, but the smaller the tank, the bigger the issue with heat. I LOVE the shimmer halides give. I have halides over my big tank at home and supplement with vho's. I have tried t5's. Great lights, you can get stuff to grow under them but no shimmer. Have you looked at the new led lights?

Haksar
11/30/2009, 05:34 AM
No one drills tanks here huh? I have drilling material at home... in storage. Its really not that hard to do.. Lots of water, flat surface, good drill, and go slow. Not hard at all. I practiced a bit on just spare ten gallon tanks before doing a real tank. I would rather crack a glass and have to replace and reseal then ever have to deal with an overflow again.

There is no extra fee for me to ship salt.. so I will get on that tonight ordering all supplies. I am waiting on ordering the nano until tommorrow.

Can I get something like a biocube here, with built in lighting that is suitable for a reef tank?

So, just an R/O unit is not good enough?

I will work on finding them in the morning :) Once I have a tank, this city dwelling life will be ALOT better.

Yes you can but built in light is ok for LPS and Zoanthids but SPS you need to DIY an MH fixture.Just found an LFS selling a a 150 W MH stand alone hang on fixture.A bit expensive but you can try it out.The LFS is in Ajman,you can try dragon mart as well.

Haksar
11/30/2009, 05:45 AM
I dont know what size tank you have, but the smaller the tank, the bigger the issue with heat. I LOVE the shimmer halides give. I have halides over my big tank at home and supplement with vho's. I have tried t5's. Great lights, you can get stuff to grow under them but no shimmer. Have you looked at the new led lights?

My tank is 5footer of total 150 gallons with sump and 02 150 W 20 K radiums and 04 T5 54 W.I want to try LED but price is a put off and reliability is a factor paying a heavy price with no warranty.
I am in two minds to upgrage to a pair of 250W MH or go for a 6 or 8 T 5 fixture.I am not concerned about the shimmer but I need good growth and color for my SPS.

JillNairn
11/30/2009, 06:15 AM
Do you have a canopy? With a five footer, I would strongly recommend getting lumen brights or the other one that is like it, just can not remember the name. They open up the area alot better then other pendants. There is a running thread here on reefcentral that I have followed for the last few years. I have hamilton pendants over my reef at home and kept thinking I was gong to upgrade but then I would have to be realistic and ask myself why upgrade when what I have is perfectly fine. I run 3 250s on my 180 that is 6 ft long. I have actinic vhos as well. I dont like giving up that shimmer but most likely will with a small nano. SPS take a very stable environment and with 28 gallons, a halide sitting on top, I would have to get a chiller and calcium reactor to maintain the growth and colors I like. And well, my company would start asking about the electricity :) So, I am keeping this simple!

I work nights, and just woke up a few hours ago. About to go venture out and see if I can find those places.

Haksar
11/30/2009, 08:52 AM
Do you have a canopy? With a five footer, I would strongly recommend getting lumen brights or the other one that is like it, just can not remember the name. They open up the area alot better then other pendants. There is a running thread here on reefcentral that I have followed for the last few years. I have hamilton pendants over my reef at home and kept thinking I was gong to upgrade but then I would have to be realistic and ask myself why upgrade when what I have is perfectly fine. I run 3 250s on my 180 that is 6 ft long. I have actinic vhos as well. I dont like giving up that shimmer but most likely will with a small nano. SPS take a very stable environment and with 28 gallons, a halide sitting on top, I would have to get a chiller and calcium reactor to maintain the growth and colors I like. And well, my company would start asking about the electricity :) So, I am keeping this simple!

I work nights, and just woke up a few hours ago. About to go venture out and see if I can find those places.

In that case you can go for a built in tube light chinese tanks.Are you buying or bringing any stuff from U.S.

JillNairn
11/30/2009, 01:26 PM
I found two of them! I got lost a bit. The sign for the Emirates mall is covered up.

Anyway it was good to see that fish isnt going to be a problem to get but I see corals is another thing.

Equipment. YIKES Ok, so I agree. Not alot to choose from. And RIO ?? I wouldnt use that stuff if they paid me to put it in my tank! No tunzes, no ehems, heck not even koralias. I want something like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+14013+21183&pcatid=21183 or something similar in size to it. I would deffinatly prefer finding something reef ready so I could have a sump. I am surprised no one drills tanks. I am going to call and talk to the owner guy, believe his name is Adrian, at the garden center place tommorrow and see if he can order in something similar. Or if I could get a reef ready tank so I could have a sump, then I would just order a T5 light to go over the top. Otherwise, I guess I will order one. Its only 5.99$ shipping right now :) Salt included! LOL I am going to take advantage.

Anyway, I liked that place. I was impressed with his wife. Nice to talk to and openly honest. Pet zone I was not so impressed with. They had like 10 angels in a tank, of course picking on each other and fighting. Not my type of place.

Thanks so much for the directions.

I am thinking the UAE group needs a marine association of our own to post issues and stuff, as well as group buys, for sell or wanting, and just the general stuff that is specific to this area. I know its not too terribly hard to set up and I guess I have free time, but I havent ever tried anything like that. How would one get the word out if 'someone' (someone volunteer!) set it up?

spy_spy
11/30/2009, 01:40 PM
you'll find us here:

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/group.php?gid=5161204404

JillNairn
11/30/2009, 01:55 PM
Thank you so much! Its not a forum.. but its something. I joined!

maroun.c
11/30/2009, 02:13 PM
Guys I believe the LFS near my house will be stocking up on Tunze, Eheim...
I'm sure prices will be a bit higher than the states or Europ but I don't mind traveling with a couple of pumps if anyone needs some. Will be in Fujairah for a week and then in Dubai for another week in mid Jan. so if anyone needs something urgent just inform me and I'll check availability and prices here. Not traveling with kalk stirrers or Ca reactors... but few pumps or other equipment shouldn't be a problem...

kkil4life
12/01/2009, 12:41 AM
hey haksar, would love to see pics of ur tank....post up dude

Jill, pets plus is a much better place and they regularly get corals.
Adrian and kyle at aquarium concepts r really cool guys
they are the only ones that do acrilyic tanks here (ALL THEIR TANKS R ACRYLIC)
but they are the most expensive, a nano can cost you over 5k dhs.
I suggest u call the guy whose number I had pm'ed u. he is very helpful and will cost you about 2-3k for your entire setup, he currently has a 20-30g tank exactly what you are looking for, but I believe its either Jebo and juwel.
its got a sump at the back with a skimmer n overflow built into the back.

BTW, if anyone is interested I got a ODESSEY (sp?) 60cm fixture for sale if anyone is interested. Its got 1x150w MH, 4x24w T5 and 8xleds.

I bought it by mistake, it was supposed to be 100cm. I tried to fit it to my cannopy but that didn't work out too well. I also modified to put each individual light onto a timer with switches and 3-4m long cables (I work in light manufacturing company, so its professionally done).
cost me a little over dhs 1,500 when I got it. Its used for a bit say 1 month at the max.
so if anyone is interested let me know guys, no shipping :)

JillNairn
12/01/2009, 11:05 AM
Editting - drank a bit with neighbors.

Tried to find world of fishes. Found the baskin robbins but no fish store. There is an empty place by it. ??

I am ordering a biocube tommorrow. Its acrylic and will ship better, and I can drill it for a sump. It comes with t5, I can get retros easy to add more light.

If anyone wants to get something from drfosterandsmith.com, I live in the discovery gardens area. You would have to prepay and I would order it. There is no custom fees or anytihng etc. I just ship it thru normal ups mail. Let me know. I will not place it until tommorrow. Do peeople do paypal here? I work on Wed thru Sat nights. I would love to get together with any other reefers in the area. From my home area, we usually had a local meeting once a month. Is this feesibile?

Jill or Jynx

Haksar
12/01/2009, 12:02 PM

Tried to find world of fishes. Found the baskin robbins but no fish store. There is an empty place by it. ??

I am ordering a biocube tommorrow. Its acrylic and will ship better, and I can drill it for a sump. It comes with t5, I can get retros easy to add more light.

If anyone wants to get something from drfosterandsmith.com, I live in the discovery gardens area. You would have to prepay and I would order it. There is no custom fees or anytihng etc. I just ship it thru normal ups mail. Let me know. I will not place it until tommorrow. Do peeople do paypal here? I work on Wed thru Sat nights. I would love to get together with any other reefers in the area. From my home area, we usually had a local meeting once a month. Is this feesibile?

Jill or Jynx

Good in that case we are close by,I stay in JBR in Marina area.May be we can meet on a Friday which is the 04th Dec,Venue we can decide later.
Yes we paypal facility but I just checked the site didn't find anything interesting.Let me know.My tel no is there in the earlier mail.

Haksar
12/01/2009, 12:10 PM
Guys I believe the LFS near my house will be stocking up on Tunze, Eheim...
I'm sure prices will be a bit higher than the states or Europ but I don't mind traveling with a couple of pumps if anyone needs some. Will be in Fujairah for a week and then in Dubai for another week in mid Jan. so if anyone needs something urgent just inform me and I'll check availability and prices here. Not traveling with kalk stirrers or Ca reactors... but few pumps or other equipment shouldn't be a problem...

Thanks,do they have a Tunze stream 2 6065 pump.If so check out the price.
and also a Tunze ATO.If its Eheim check out the 1262 model and price.

Thanks Mate..

maroun.c
12/01/2009, 12:52 PM
Last time I went to Dubai and to World of fishes was around 5 months ago so can't really remember where it is in respect to Bascin Roins but it's very close to it. There is a store next to BAscin robins that had lots of glass tanks in it but all were empty and it was always closed. You could walk in front of workd of fishes and not realize it's there for some reason...
Not familiar with Discovery Garden Area is that close to Ibn Batouta Mall?
Would love to be in oune of your meetings if you manage to start them and I'm in Dubai on a meeting day...

Jill or Jynx

maroun.c
12/01/2009, 12:57 PM
Will cehck it out and get back with answers... No problem.

How about you guys posting pics of your setups???
Any build threads?
Heres mine not really active but illustrates struugling for each item in this hobby very well...

Thanks,do they have a Tunze stream 2 6065 pump.If so check out the price.
and also a Tunze ATO.If its Eheim check out the 1262 model and price.

Thanks Mate..

JillNairn
12/01/2009, 02:05 PM
I am gone for work on Wed thru Sat, from 3:30 in the afternoon until about 8 am each day. I have off Sun, Mon, and Tuesdays.

JillNairn
12/01/2009, 02:18 PM
My real fish tank at home.. 180, 100 gallon sump.. and lots of bells and whistles.. tunzes, euroreef skimmer, pendants on top, vho actinics, ato, kalk and a calcium reactor, blah blah.. and my pride and job, a set of gold stripe marron clown fish that has been wiht me for about 6 years. :)

kkil4life
12/01/2009, 02:30 PM
jill, double and then triple check on the shipping from dr.fosters
when they say shipping is onl $5, they mean to the US not to UAE
there are two baskin robins over there, when u reached the signal, did u take a LEFT of a U TURN?
LEFT is correct
you will see baskin robbins, just go inside and ask them where world of fishes is, its in the SAME building

Maroun.c any chance of getting an overflow for me?
that would just be great
I would also like the price of the eheim 1262 pump.
and if they have cone skimmers as well.
lol, sorry for asking so much

maroun.c
12/01/2009, 02:49 PM
My real fish tank at home.. 180, 100 gallon sump.. and lots of bells and whistles.. tunzes, euroreef skimmer, pendants on top, vho actinics, ato, kalk and a calcium reactor, blah blah.. and my pride and job, a set of gold stripe marron clown fish that has been wiht me for about 6 years. :)

Got a 6-7 years old female too. female died few years ago, male turned into female adn got a new male aroudn a year ago...

Maroun.c any chance of getting an overflow for me?
that would just be great
I would also like the price of the eheim 1262 pump.
and if they have cone skimmers as well.
lol, sorry for asking so much

No overflows here, we have to get them custome made by tank manufacturers here so basically its 2 sheets of glass siliconed aroudn 2-3 holes in the bottom of the tank.
LFS owner said they'll have a complete range of Eheim pumps early next week, will cehck tomorrow if they already have a price on them or max end of next week. No cone skimmers here they only have Turbofloater multi SL 1000. Still it's way overpriced (around 750 USD) I recently got a Hurricone Cat 1 from a trip to the states and that only cost me 625 and its way better. the best skimmer available here is the Turbofloter shorty but that's aroud 1000 usd which is way overpriced. Feel free toa sk whatever you need. check out my thread I travel every week and come back with a bag full of aquarium stuff, fish and corals...

Oups forgotthe link to my thread in my last post:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368220

JillNairn
12/01/2009, 09:05 PM
I called and spoke to drfosterandsmith. I am having it and everything else shipped for 130$ expedited to my usa apo address. Regularly, it takes about a week to get things but right now, with the holidays, and the overload, there isnt extra space available on the flights, so regular mail would go by boat (yikes!!! 4 to 8 weeks) if its not upgraded. :( If I wanted it regular mail, it would have been 5.99 for them to ship it they said. Got to love a company that takes care of the american military!! (even though I am not military)

I am going to LOVE them for the next twoish years.

I could have had it shipped to my parents and i could cut that to the 5.99 and then it would prob cost my parents a third of the 130$ to have them just send it over but I just dont want my parents to have to deal with having to lug it to the post office and fill out the form. They already are taking care of my two cats and saint bernard :)

Can't wait to get my little big nano tank!

maroun.c
12/02/2009, 03:21 AM
Just found this quote I had when I was considering setting up a temp tank when I was in dubai. their prices seemed quite fair at the time and when I discussed the design of my tank they seemed quite knowledgeable. Still no experience with them...

Aqua Art L.L.C
Specialized in Marine / Freshwater - Acrylic & Glass Aquariums,
Indoor & Outdoor pond, Water Falls, Accessories & maintenance
Dubai : P.O. Box 28016, Tel : 3371619 Fax : 3371671 E-mail : [email protected]

kkil4life
12/02/2009, 03:48 AM
I'll be going to abu dhabi today, anyone know the tel number of the shops there?
or even better the location??
thanks

Haksar
12/02/2009, 12:44 PM
Just found this quote I had when I was considering setting up a temp tank when I was in dubai. their prices seemed quite fair at the time and when I discussed the design of my tank they seemed quite knowledgeable. Still no experience with them...

Aqua Art L.L.C
Specialized in Marine / Freshwater - Acrylic & Glass Aquariums,
Indoor & Outdoor pond, Water Falls, Accessories & maintenance
Dubai : P.O. Box 28016, Tel : 3371619 Fax : 3371671 E-mail : [email protected]

Never seen or heard of Aqua Art,will check it out or wait if my memory serves me right I think its one of the many shops in Satwa near Dhiyafah road near to Creature Oasis.

Are you using any ATO in your seto up.How do you dose Kalk.Since I have got into SPS I need to get an ATO and stop the manual dosing.

maroun.c
12/03/2009, 03:56 AM
If I remember correctly it is facing the parcking lot of a small mall close to Gulf towers where I used to work. Its not Wafi city but a smaller less known one.
My tank is temporary placed in my parents house while my appartment is finsihed should be moving in the new appt and ugrading around mid next year. No place to add any ATO or dosing sytem... as I have no place around the tank. the stand is already filled by my sump fuge and frag tank... so for me it's manually dosing Randys 2 parts every day. Do you find kalk in UAE easily? we have a couple of stores that sell it but its for aroudn 15 USD for 100 G while I buy it from Europe for 15 USD per 500 G. that makes adding @ parts a cheaper solution. I do dose a bit of Kalk whenI'm here but I have a dripper for that. I believe the LFS here has some ATO will check everything there tomorrow and update you before I travel for Saudi for 5 days.

Haksar
12/03/2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks maroun,Kalk here is difficult to get only can be found in Pet Home in Sharjah but their dosers which is Aqua Medic is not great.The price for Kalk is quite cheap there compared to here.How did you prepare Randy's two part because we don't get the stuff here.

kkil4life
12/03/2009, 01:58 PM
maroun, kalk can also be found in pets plus
they have marinium kalk
its 35aed, but I'm not sure of the quantity

maroun.c
12/04/2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks maroun,Kalk here is difficult to get only can be found in Pet Home in Sharjah but their dosers which is Aqua Medic is not great.The price for Kalk is quite cheap there compared to here.How did you prepare Randy's two part because we don't get the stuff here.

Thanks.
Don't need the doser as I have a DIY dripper that works fine for the time being and also I will be running a Kalk Stirrer on the next setup...
For Randy's 2 part I got the Ca and MG from a pharmacy, they have a german Lab grade (very pure) product that is usually used for making medicine... they have an extensive QC on it and the results of its ammonia, nitrites, copper .... are in the order of 0.000x I posted it in the chemistry forum and Randy said it was a great product to use. only bad thing about it is 60 USD per KG... I got a few 2 part kits from BRS when I was in the states and that's a fraction of the price so I started using those last week.
So may be check with pharmacists or companys providing primary material for preparing medications and you might find some.

maroun.c
12/04/2009, 07:39 AM
maroun, kalk can also be found in pets plus
they have marinium kalk
its 35aed, but I'm not sure of the quantity

Would appreciate if you could inform me if you go there about the weight. As MArinium here sells for around 15 USD per 100 grams wehre I by 500 Grams for that price in Europe.

maroun.c
12/04/2009, 07:42 AM
Finally found the address and contact of the shop in Abu Dhabi.

Reef of fish.
Salam str. Al Mina
Facing Adnoc Station and near helwayat el Sham (a well known sweets shop)
+9715066777182
One of their workers phone number (not sure if he's still there as I was there last year)
+971501275811
it's a very small shop but they have things I could never find elsewhere in UAE...

spy_spy
12/04/2009, 09:22 AM
Last time I went to Dubai and to World of fishes was around 5 months ago so can't really remember where it is in respect to Bascin Roins but it's very close to it. There is a store next to BAscin robins that had lots of glass tanks in it but all were empty and it was always closed. You could walk in front of workd of fishes and not realize it's there for some reason...
Not familiar with Discovery Garden Area is that close to Ibn Batouta Mall?
Would love to be in oune of your meetings if you manage to start them and I'm in Dubai on a meeting day...

World of Fishes in Karama, opposite DaytoDay- you will not miss the shop with full of lights. If you see a Pepsi vending machine.. then there is World of Fishes.

WOF contact no: 04 3966002. i think they had a shipment last night. I was inform the shipment is Thursday which which yesterday.

spy_spy
12/04/2009, 09:25 AM
Never seen or heard of Aqua Art,will check it out or wait if my memory serves me right I think its one of the many shops in Satwa near Dhiyafah road near to Creature Oasis.

Are you using any ATO in your seto up.How do you dose Kalk.Since I have got into SPS I need to get an ATO and stop the manual dosing.

Aqua Art use to have a shop infront of Lamcy plaza next to Brands for Less. Now the shop is located behind the old place. Just walk to the back side of the building and you'll see aqua art.

they do carry some basic equipment and I've even seen an aquamedic HOB skimmer. The shop attendant informed me that you can order some equipments from them too.

spy_spy
12/04/2009, 11:55 AM
by the way...

World of fishes in Karama stocks the controllable Koralias if you want a wavemaker. And they also have Hydor Performer for a skimmer.

maroun.c
12/04/2009, 01:33 PM
Aqua Art use to have a shop infront of Lamcy plaza next to Brands for Less. Now the shop is located behind the old place. Just walk to the back side of the building and you'll see aqua art.

they do carry some basic equipment and I've even seen an aquamedic HOB skimmer. The shop attendant informed me that you can order some equipments from them too.

Lamcy Plaza!!!
Was trying to remember the name for 3 days.

maroun.c
12/04/2009, 01:51 PM
Just got the price list of the items of interest that the LFS here has. Prices are really high compared to states and europ but as usual in my case it's still cheaper than shipping + customs + waiting time + risk of damaged items in shipping. Haksar, Kkil4 life, will PM you the prices. anyone else that needs somthing and can't get it there feel free to ask. Note that I won't travel to Dubai before mid Jan...

JillNairn
12/05/2009, 08:31 AM
I only made it to two fish stores last weekend, so.... Excuse this question if it seems strange.

Do you have to tell the fish store you are wanting rock for them to order it in? And if fish stores do have rock, is this cured rock or they get rock in and immediatly sell it? I didnt see any tank set up at either location that had a large skimmer on it to be able to skim out and cure live rock (but the one at the garden center said they have a warehouse so maybe its just not there but they have one).

Thanks! Jill

JillNairn
12/05/2009, 10:50 AM
A little off topic of aquariums, but does anyone snorkel/scuba on the list? Here in dubai I mean... I am wanting to learn to scuba while I am here, but I would like to hit the beach the next few days off. Any info is appreciated! Thanks Jill

Haksar
12/05/2009, 10:56 AM
Very few LFS sells cured LR.Try Pet home in Sharjah near the cricket stadium.

I don't scuba dive but I want to learn but there are many who goes for scuba diving.Try the local websites on google.

JillNairn
12/07/2009, 04:57 PM
I made it to another store :) And he rocks! Thanks Nik for getting that info... Thanks Rashad for rockin so much! So, two that I deffinatly like.

My tank is 2 inches to big to send by usps.. so :( They can send it to me for not so much more, but then because it goes by ups, I have to pay all the regular fees and such, that you guys complain about.. AND WOW. That is expensive. I could drop to a smaller tank, but :( I want a big little nano tank. So... think I am just going to have a cubish tank built here, and order alot of stuff from back home, which seems is going to cost me way more then if I had just got the 28 gallon nano tank... But, such is life in the reefing world.

JillNairn
12/07/2009, 05:04 PM
What is up with the post thing here where you have to have over so many before you can go look at the for sell threads??When did they do this :(

My gosh, I just do that for fun to see what is on there in my spare time.. Now I can not. Its like craigslist for reefers being taken away... LOL

I have to post a whole bunch of posts, to try to get to I believe 90??? I am going to go look at all the forums and reply reply reply today :)

maroun.c
12/07/2009, 10:12 PM
I made it to another store :) And he rocks! Thanks Nik for getting that info... Thanks Rashad for rockin so much! So, two that I deffinatly like.

My tank is 2 inches to big to send by usps.. so :( They can send it to me for not so much more, but then because it goes by ups, I have to pay all the regular fees and such, that you guys complain about.. AND WOW. That is expensive. I could drop to a smaller tank, but :( I want a big little nano tank. So... think I am just going to have a cubish tank built here, and order alot of stuff from back home, which seems is going to cost me way more then if I had just got the 28 gallon nano tank... But, such is life in the reefing world.

So which shop is that?

JillNairn
12/08/2009, 07:00 AM
Hum... Let me try to figure that out! :( Its in Sharjah, not the one by the baskin robbins. The owners name is rashad?? How many stores are in Sharjah? Nik recommended that I go and try him. His store is past a bridge and not the easiest to find. Seems I had to drive quite a ways into Sharjah?? Maybe someone else will know which store I am talking about. He didnt have stock in but seems to be pretty knowledgable and pretty honest about things he didnt know, which goes a long way in the marine world. I am no newby so I dont have the new questions but there are bound to be things here that are going to be a bit different. I find it always important to have at least two stores that you are on very good terms and basis with, so when there is an emergency (as there always seems to be one) you can call them and get what one needs.

I maybe doing a bit of an overkill on my 'simple' reef. I am looking at a 70 cm by 55 cm tall tank, a cubish tank, drilled and a sump below taking up the entire space custom fitted to add water volume so I can put a halide over it and maybe not worry so much about a chipper. Its a far cry from the simple nano I walked in wanting. Thinking I should really do something more in the range of 55 cm all over... Especially when I am still paying to have my tank maintainted at home by family members. I hope I dont have to move apartments!

JillNairn
12/08/2009, 08:51 AM
chipper = chiller OOPS

maroun.c
12/08/2009, 09:38 AM
Oups somehow missed the post with direction or name of the shop in sharja. Still didn't find it though and never knew the shop owner was called Rashad. Always tried to avoid sharjah as if getting lost there wouldn't kill me the traffic would take care of that...

Any shop in Dubai selling complete Ca reactor sets?

Haksar
12/08/2009, 10:24 AM
You can get H&S,Aqua Medic this are good ones rest are Chinese.
I have a 02nd hand Korallin S1502 used only for 02 days yes only 02 days but I was plain lucky becasue the ex owner brought it from US but had to give it away because his mom did not like keeping Co2 cylinder in the house.:rollface:
Otherwise there is no good brands.

JillNairn - note sure which are the shops you visited.Certainly by this names I cannot figure out.

kkil4life
12/09/2009, 01:06 AM
@jill, I didn't give u all the stores, I just gave u the ones I like
world of fishes has the biggest amount and variety of fish. The only problem is that they ALWAYS have ich. he gets fish from phillipines, sri lanka and singapore.
he usually gets new stock every 10 days.
so you need to be careful with his purchases. he is also the only one that has CF lamps here.

BTW, SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO GET T5 LAMPS HERE........PPPPLLEEAAASSSEEE

also did you visit pets plus, they have good corals, but not too many fish

arshad usually orders stuff for certain customers. He gets hailia (sp?) chillers. he can also get you atman chillers. I have an atman, and its pretty good.

@haksar, the best cured rock I've seen was in satwa, national aquarium, but the guy doesn't do SW any more only FW.
the rocks were full of life and covered in BLUE coralline, and it was completely purplish-blue, not one spec of rock without coralline. unfortuantely the tank cracked and he let the rocks dry.
Theres a shop opposite national aquarium with a chinese guy working there, MARK, he goes diving, and cna get you like rock at a very cheap price right from the ocean.
so if you set it up, you can get rock from the ocean thats been out for just 3-4 hours.

@maroun ca reactor, yes. but co2 cylinder no.
I just don't remember where I saw it. I will pm you if I remember.

maroun.c
12/09/2009, 05:44 AM
maroun ca reactor, yes. but co2 cylinder no.

Thanks, I can get teh CO2 cylinder and CO2 control here...a Complete set here would cost me aroudn 800 USD without the PH controller which sells for 500. weirdly it costs only around 100usd in the states but then I struggle with 110V 60 Hz... considering getting the whole set from Dubai if its cheaper then I might just skipp the ph controller and let my tank controller (once I get it) control the ph...

Haksar
12/09/2009, 11:00 AM
@jill, I didn't give u all the stores, I just gave u the ones I like
world of fishes has the biggest amount and variety of fish. The only problem is that they ALWAYS have ich. he gets fish from phillipines, sri lanka and singapore.
he usually gets new stock every 10 days.
so you need to be careful with his purchases. he is also the only one that has CF lamps here.

BTW, SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO GET T5 LAMPS HERE........PPPPLLEEAAASSSEEE

also did you visit pets plus, they have good corals, but not too many fish

arshad usually orders stuff for certain customers. He gets hailia (sp?) chillers. he can also get you atman chillers. I have an atman, and its pretty good.

@haksar, the best cured rock I've seen was in satwa, national aquarium, but the guy doesn't do SW any more only FW.
the rocks were full of life and covered in BLUE coralline, and it was completely purplish-blue, not one spec of rock without coralline. unfortuantely the tank cracked and he let the rocks dry.
Theres a shop opposite national aquarium with a chinese guy working there, MARK, he goes diving, and cna get you like rock at a very cheap price right from the ocean.
so if you set it up, you can get rock from the ocean thats been out for just 3-4 hours.

@maroun ca reactor, yes. but co2 cylinder no.

Are you referring to Arshad from Ajman Aquarium then I know him.
T5 lights you can get from Pet home SHJ the Aqua Medic brand.

I am searching the net for LED lights.May be next time I visit Shanghai I could pick up LED from there.Its worth the visit saves energy cost and nice place.

kkil4life
12/09/2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks, I can get teh CO2 cylinder and CO2 control here...a Complete set here would cost me aroudn 800 USD without the PH controller which sells for 500. weirdly it costs only around 100usd in the states but then I struggle with 110V 60 Hz... considering getting the whole set from Dubai if its cheaper then I might just skipp the ph controller and let my tank controller (once I get it) control the ph...

I will let you know about the ca reactor as soon as I visit the shop and see it again, I just don't remember where I saw it

kkil4life
12/09/2009, 01:30 PM
Are you referring to Arshad from Ajman Aquarium then I know him.
T5 lights you can get from Pet home SHJ the Aqua Medic brand.

I am searching the net for LED lights.May be next time I visit Shanghai I could pick up LED from there.Its worth the visit saves energy cost and nice place.

haksar, can you tell me what LED exactly is good for our use?
we manufacture ligthing exuipment in my company, so if I can get the exact specs I can get it.
thats how I did my CF lighting.
Home pets has CF, I asked them for T5 and they said no, but I've never been there, this was just on the phone.
so if ur sure about it, I might just go there

JillNairn
12/10/2009, 01:41 PM
Yes, that is the one. Arshad is bulding my tank. I decided against the boxed china sets. I just couldnt do it.

I have not made it to the pet zone yet. I leave for work around 3:30 pm and I dont get back home until nearly 8 am, so my four days of working I do nothing but go home and sleep. I will do more venturing out on Sunday after I sleep from my work week.

I decided on a 60 x 60 x 55 footprint tank, with the sump below just being a tad smaller then the tank itself, to fit underneath in the cabinet. I am hoping while I am here for the next two years, I dont have to move but you just never know. A larger tank would become a problem if they happened to move us. Will see how long it takes for it to get done and how soon i get to put water in it. I can not wait. :)

Does everyone keep an extra tank running for a quarantine tank then? I am hoping not to have to keep adding fish. I just want a set of firefish, pair of clowns and a watchman and some bottom goby. Nothing too hard.

I am guessing there isnt places here raising fish like in the united states? What about clean up crews? I guess there is no place to just order a bunch of snails and hermits ?? Do you guys get together and get the fish stores to do large orders at once so they are able to order in bulk and get discounted rates, and then pass those on to the reefers? A girl can hope :) I am seeing its not so organized here. This is one of the benefits of getting a local site going. Really, someone should go ahead and work on us a little reef site for the UAE :)

Oh... does anyone know if there is any girl reefers in the area? Just wondering. I am used to there not being many at the reefer meetings in Texas but it is nice to see and talk to someone from a womens reefing prospective. We seem to see things a bit differently :)

arshad98
12/10/2009, 02:08 PM
Nope that's not the one Jill, the one Haxr keeps referring to is another "Arshad" in Ajman, a wholeseller, you wouldn't want him to build your tank ;)

Then there's me who you've already met and building your aquarium with. haxar seems to have forgotten mentioning/me, Star Aquarium in Sharjah.

Not many, at least the ones I know, run a quarantine tank, cept for Nikk, KKill4life, who has one.

No places here raising fish, no one's tried it commercially. I get clean up crew a lot... cleaner shrimps, blue legged crabs, cucumbers, turbo snails. I have maybe 200 snails in my next shipment, cucumbers and crabs too. You'll get some when your tank is ready for livestock. whatever fish you want, let me know ahead and I'll order it.

I know only one reefer chickee here, wanna know who???

Arshad

Yes, that is the one. Arshad is bulding my tank. I decided against the boxed china sets. I just couldnt do it.

I am guessing there isnt places here raising fish like in the united states? What about clean up crews? I guess there is no place to just order a bunch of snails and hermits ?? Do you guys get together and get the fish stores to do large orders at once so they are able to order in bulk and get discounted rates, and then pass those on to the reefers? A girl can hope :) I am seeing its not so organized here. This is one of the benefits of getting a local site going. Really, someone should go ahead and work on us a little reef site for the UAE :)

Oh... does anyone know if there is any girl reefers in the area? Just wondering. I am used to there not being many at the reefer meetings in Texas but it is nice to see and talk to someone from a womens reefing prospective. We seem to see things a bit differently :)

JillNairn
12/10/2009, 03:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260521255519#vi-content

Can I get anything like this here? I have a 72" string of these in my 180 and LOVE it (I have to say, the fish hate it as its too bright and they cant sleep)

Haksar
12/10/2009, 10:35 PM
haksar, can you tell me what LED exactly is good for our use?
we manufacture ligthing exuipment in my company, so if I can get the exact specs I can get it.
thats how I did my CF lighting.
Home pets has CF, I asked them for T5 and they said no, but I've never been there, this was just on the phone.
so if ur sure about it, I might just go there

There are a few to name the Aqua Illumination sold by reef geek looks nice then there is KR 92 led.I am in touch with a HKG agent who can send me a 400 W LED to cover my 150x50x50cms tank.Price is approx 600USD.

We can also buy separate LED cree bulbs and DIY ove here.If you check out the DIY forums there a few guys who has done it.

Haksar
12/10/2009, 10:40 PM
Nope that's not the one Jill, the one Haxr keeps referring to is another "Arshad" in Ajman, a wholeseller, you wouldn't want him to build your tank ;)

Then there's me who you've already met and building your aquarium with. haxar seems to have forgotten mentioning/me, Star Aquarium in Sharjah.

Not many, at least the ones I know, run a quarantine tank, cept for Nikk, KKill4life, who has one.

No places here raising fish, no one's tried it commercially. I get clean up crew a lot... cleaner shrimps, blue legged crabs, cucumbers, turbo snails. I have maybe 200 snails in my next shipment, cucumbers and crabs too. You'll get some when your tank is ready for livestock. whatever fish you want, let me know ahead and I'll order it.

Arshad

Hey Arshad,sorry I missed you out mate.Jill you are in good hands.He has the best stuff and all your requirments.I run a Q tank also.

Mate do you have blue legged hermits in stock I need some.

I don't know of any Woman reefer here except you (which I just got to know).:cool:

Haksar
12/10/2009, 10:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260521255519#vi-content

Can I get anything like this here? I have a 72" string of these in my 180 and LOVE it (I have to say, the fish hate it as its too bright and they cant sleep)

You could try this in Dragon mart -quality is not great or a shop by the name of Electrical Lighting Company in Karama or in SZR but price is a tad expensive.

maroun.c
12/11/2009, 08:15 AM
So Arshad from Star Aquarium in Sharjah, Could you please send me your coordinates so I try to pass by your store next time in UAE. Any chance of finding MH ballasts 250 W (if yes is it specifically made for reefing or regular ballasts?) Ca reactors ... I'm also interested in 3 Lumenbright 250W DE HQI if you can get those?

Arshad

arshad98
12/11/2009, 10:26 PM
Hi Maroun,

I'm on Buhaira Corniche, very close to the Millennium hotel, give me a shout when you are coming and I'll guide you in, my number is 050-799 5093

MH ballasts, locally here, you get the Chinese jobs, these are regular ballasts. But Osram has electronic ballasts here, I can check 250 watts for you if you want. Or if you want specifics like Ice Caps, I can order them for you. Lumenbrights HQI needs to be ordered from the US, let me know if you want me to get them for you. Ca reactor you want any specific brand? I can also get you chinese PH controller, Wei Pro brand, and a very good quality CO2 regulator from Hong Kong. We can talk prices in a private mail if you want.

Cheers:beer:

So Arshad from Star Aquarium in Sharjah, Could you please send me your coordinates so I try to pass by your store next time in UAE. Any chance of finding MH ballasts 250 W (if yes is it specifically made for reefing or regular ballasts?) Ca reactors ... I'm also interested in 3 Lumenbright 250W DE HQI if you can get those?

arshad98
12/11/2009, 11:11 PM
With Jill's idea I'm going to work on starting a local forum for reefers in UAE. I have no idea how to setup one but I'll find out. If anyone has any clue let me know.

Also I seriously think we should start a club with monthly meetings and trade-ins/sale. Who's up for it? This will help us to grow and get the reefing community closer.

kkil4life
12/12/2009, 12:18 AM

now I remember, Arshad has a CO2 setup in his freshwater planted tank, and I think he showed me a ca reactor that he had for a customer of his.

and since we're on the topic of ballasts, whats the difference between the reefing ballasts and the regular ones?
I've got high quality electronic ballasts, but they are not reefing ones.
what difference does it make to the light output?

maroun.c
12/12/2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for your assistance.
Will get in touch with you before I visit UAE for sure. will discuss prices with you by PM.
Concerning creating a forum I guess you can do it here on RC, still I don't know if that is chargeable and if the cost will beprohibitive due tot he small group... Still taht would be awesome. Not sure if anyone can setup a miniforum website for a small price...
As to creating a group in Dubai that would be very nice. I have been to some Group meetings in the states and other coutries I go to and those were very nice. I was in Clevland on time for the monthly C sea meeting of the area and did go there it was nice to meet with a huge group of people, share their stories and listen to talks given by presenters from teh group or even others they fly in. if that can be managed by some LFS to give some discounts, giveaways, that would make attending the meetings even more interesting. frag swaps at the meeting are also very enjoyable, and of course monthly tank visits to the groups members are always fun....Hope that works.

Hi Maroun,

I'm on Buhaira Corniche, very close to the Millennium hotel, give me a shout when you are coming and I'll guide you in, my number is 050-799 5093

MH ballasts, locally here, you get the Chinese jobs, these are regular ballasts. But Osram has electronic ballasts here, I can check 250 watts for you if you want. Or if you want specifics like Ice Caps, I can order them for you. Lumenbrights HQI needs to be ordered from the US, let me know if you want me to get them for you. Ca reactor you want any specific brand? I can also get you chinese PH controller, Wei Pro brand, and a very good quality CO2 regulator from Hong Kong. We can talk prices in a private mail if you want.

Cheers:beer:

maroun.c
12/12/2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks.
Not sure what the difference is but somehow different bulbs run better on different ballasts like reeflux runnig (or at least reported to run best) on CV ballast. I've been running my halides on magnetic ones and I have been fine so far still I could realise how dim they were if I ever get a decent ballast...

now I remember, Arshad has a CO2 setup in his freshwater planted tank, and I think he showed me a ca reactor that he had for a customer of his.

and since we're on the topic of ballasts, whats the difference between the reefing ballasts and the regular ones?
I've got high quality electronic ballasts, but they are not reefing ones.
what difference does it make to the light output?

JillNairn
12/30/2009, 04:02 PM
I finally got set up and going...

Can we some how get the word out to anyone you meet here in this area that there is a local site? Maybe we can get it active and going and then be able to purchase our own hositng and just have to type the masuae . com in later, but for now...

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/masuae.html

arshad98
12/30/2009, 11:30 PM
Good work Jill, this is what we need around here. I signed up.

Haksar
12/31/2009, 08:44 AM
Great Job Jill..I am in.

Daniel Reef
12/31/2009, 08:50 AM
Ibtl

Haksar
12/31/2009, 08:57 AM
Ibtl

What's Ibtl..

JillNairn
12/31/2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks, I just hope it becomes a little active UAE community. I miss monthly meetings and getting to see different tanks already....

maroun.c
01/01/2010, 11:47 PM
Looks good,
off to Sign up now.
Flying tonight to Czech republic for 2 weeks and then straight to UAE (Fujairah 17-21 Jan) (Dubai 21-28th Might extend it till 30th) Would be great if you could setup a meeting by then or if not I will be happy to meet with whoever is available.
anyone know of any LFS or aquarium display in Czech republic Will be around and in Prague?
Happy New year to all of you.

Haksar
01/02/2010, 03:35 AM
No idea mate.Once you are in let us know we can all meet.

discusdubai
01/16/2010, 05:15 AM
I have quoted a post of NIck but still not appearing on the thread...

There was a picture of my tank as well...

Is it normal?
Do I require certain no. of posts then only only I can upload pictures?

Thanks in advance...=)

discusdubai
01/17/2010, 01:09 PM
hey haksar, would love to see pics of ur tank....post up dude

Jill, pets plus is a much better place and they regularly get corals.
Adrian and kyle at aquarium concepts r really cool guys
they are the only ones that do acrilyic tanks here (ALL THEIR TANKS R ACRYLIC)
but they are the most expensive, a nano can cost you over 5k dhs.
I suggest u call the guy whose number I had pm'ed u. he is very helpful and will cost you about 2-3k for your entire setup, he currently has a 20-30g tank exactly what you are looking for, but I believe its either Jebo and juwel.
its got a sump at the back with a skimmer n overflow built into the back.

BTW, if anyone is interested I got a ODESSEY (sp?) 60cm fixture for sale if anyone is interested. Its got 1x150w MH, 4x24w T5 and 8xleds.

I bought it by mistake, it was supposed to be 100cm. I tried to fit it to my cannopy but that didn't work out too well. I also modified to put each individual light onto a timer with switches and 3-4m long cables (I work in light manufacturing company, so its professionally done).
cost me a little over dhs 1,500 when I got it. Its used for a bit say 1 month at the max.
so if anyone is interested let me know guys, no shipping :)

RESERVED!:celeb1:

Thanks A TON!:beer:

discusdubai
01/17/2010, 01:15 PM
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/discusdubai/FOWLR%20DEC%202009/DSC03719.jpg

:fish1:

discusdubai
01/17/2010, 01:19 PM
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/discusdubai/FOWLR%20DEC%202009/DSC03719.jpg

:fish1:
Nick,

Do you think the oddysea is sufficient enough?

Mac

discusdubai
01/18/2010, 08:43 PM
Everyone seems to be busy...=)

maroun.c
01/19/2010, 06:11 AM
Nice Nano you got there.
what corals are you planing on the higher rocks?
why do you have the Caulerpa in the tank? having it start to overgrow a tank is usually a pain to get rid of...
Try to log on to the masuae site link above, you'll get in touch with the whole group then...

discusdubai
01/19/2010, 10:23 AM
Nice Nano you got there.
what corals are you planing on the higher rocks?
why do you have the Caulerpa in the tank? having it start to overgrow a tank is usually a pain to get rid of...
Try to log on to the masuae site link above, you'll get in touch with the whole group then...
Thanks Maroun...
Only Low to moderate light corals only...

Caulerpa? Arent they beneficial to Marine tank?

discusdubai
01/19/2010, 12:40 PM
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/discusdubai/Nano%20Reef%20Jan%202001/image001.jpg

See you all there!:wave:

maroun.c
01/19/2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks Maroun...
Only Low to moderate light corals only...

Caulerpa? Arent they beneficial to Marine tank?

Yes but they usually are in a refugium outside of your tank...

kkil4life
01/19/2010, 11:43 PM
hey mackey.....did u put the light on?
sorry I don't check this post much since we all use masuae
join there.....for dubai stuff

Haksar
01/20/2010, 09:38 AM
Hey Mackey,nice tank.Join us on masuae.

discusdubai
01/20/2010, 09:59 AM
Yes but they usually are in a refugium outside of your tank...
Ok, Thanks...Noted.

discusdubai
01/20/2010, 10:00 AM
hey mackey.....did u put the light on?
sorry I don't check this post much since we all use masuae
join there.....for dubai stuff
I've tested them here in the office and they all working perfectly...=)

I will follow your advise concerning the duration for the MH...

discusdubai
01/20/2010, 10:01 AM
Hey Mackey,nice tank.Join us on masuae.
Ok...will register today...=)

AquaArtKenya
04/03/2014, 11:20 AM
Any stores in Dubai that sell marine aquarium salt or LED lighting?

maroun.c
04/03/2014, 11:57 AM
You just recovered a 4 years old thread!!!
Reefing in Dubai has kicked up since the start of this thread and you can find anything you want now.
Would suggest you checkout:
Premier pets
My pet store
Pets Plus

rgulrich
04/03/2014, 01:05 PM
@maroun.c
Great to see you still kicking around this forum - how are things? Come across any more interesting clams? I hope your adventures are treating you well!

maroun.c
04/03/2014, 01:22 PM
@maroun.c
Great to see you still kicking around this forum - how are things? Come across any more interesting clams? I hope your adventures are treating you well!

Guess the addiction never ends!!!
Seen some interesting ones from the red sea few weeks backs in Jeddah, holding off from adding anymore to my setup as i just need 2-3 more showstoppers...
Great to see you're still interested in threads about the Middle East.

FishM8
04/05/2016, 08:09 AM
Hi everybody,

another 2 years and i wonder how reefing is doing over in dubai...
Are the some shops that a worth a visit?

Happy reefing
Bjorn

uyhujb
04/05/2016, 09:17 AM
Just got to Dubai a few weeks ago. Trying to figure out where to get things for a small reef tank. ANY INFO is appreciated.http://financeisok.com/loan/images/82.gif http://financeisok.com/loan/images/37.gif
http://financeisok.com/loan/images/39.gif

FishM8
04/29/2016, 04:12 AM
Just seen that there was the "Aquariya Expo DUBAI 2016". Any details? Cant find anything about it :-(

FishM8
04/29/2016, 04:18 AM
looks like it would be from October 19th to 21st this year for the 5th time. Anybody ever heared about it?

maroun.c
05/03/2016, 09:57 PM
Hi everybody,

another 2 years and i wonder how reefing is doing over in dubai...
Are the some shops that a worth a visit?

Happy reefing
Bjorn

Hi there,
Well reefkeeping has literally exploded in Dubai and all over UAE. Multiple stores have popped up with regular shipments coming in from Indo, Fiji, Australia... Many distributors for quality equipment are there now, prices are still a bit on the expensive side but much better than before.
Definitely worth a visit and if you plan to go there just get in touch and I'll provide the names of good stores and also contacts of many reefers there who might join you on a store/tanks tour.

maroun.c
05/03/2016, 09:59 PM
Just got to Dubai a few weeks ago. Trying to figure out where to get things for a small reef tank. ANY INFO is appreciated.

Many stores there and a very active reefing community to help you. What are you looking for exactly so I can better assist you in which stores to go to.

maroun.c
05/03/2016, 10:02 PM
looks like it would be from October 19th to 21st this year for the 5th time. Anybody ever heared about it?

They hold it every other year in Dubai, not nearly as impressive as European or USA expos but definitely worth visiting if you're in Dubai. It's been improving every time over the last few years so expect this years expo to be even better especially with the added interest and store in UAE now.

Bjoern
05/04/2016, 05:35 AM
Hi there,

Well reefkeeping has literally exploded in Dubai and all over UAE. Multiple stores have popped up with regular shipments coming in from Indo, Fiji, Australia... Many distributors for quality equipment are there now, prices are still a bit on the expensive side but much better than before.

Definitely worth a visit and if you plan to go there just get in touch and I'll provide the names of good stores and also contacts of many reefers there who might join you on a store/tanks tour.

Good to hear! I am in Jumeirah right now and Schedule is packed. But still... Do you know if a store somewhere around thats worth a visit and sells coral / fish / equipment ?

maroun.c
05/06/2016, 01:34 AM
Think fish should be quite close to you but a bit of traffic to get there (dubai investment park great store to visit)
Pets plus on sheikh Zayed is not very far but not sure if they have any shipments.
Premier pets a favorite as the owner is a reefer himself a bit farther away near dragon mart
BPK very close to airport and has weekly shipments.
Ocean waves around 15 min from airport towards Sharjah is also nice
Vinoos fish around 30-40 min outside of Dubai is also worth a visit.
I'll be I
Flying to Dubai in 2 weeks and will be happy to take you on a LFS tour or introduce you to few reefers there if you are staying till then.
Enjoy your trip.

MDP
05/07/2016, 08:10 AM
Hi, I'm off to Abu Dhabi next month for a conference, anyone have any recommendations for reef shops there?

Many thanks

Bjoern
05/10/2016, 03:46 AM
@maroun.c
so sorry, cant meet you. :-(
allready back home. Maybe next time :-)
would have been great to tour dubai together.

maroun.c
05/26/2016, 08:27 PM
Hope you enjoyed it and that you got to see a few of the LFS.